Sign in to follow this  
Earth.mkv -KIA-

C:\ access... DENIED

My computer kinda shitted out on Monday. I can still access internet and limited files, but most programs that can still run are pretty lethargic. Unfortunately, CS:S is not among the programs that still work.

Basically, I can't access my hard drive directly. I have to launch a program and open a file to access it. I installed Windows 7 about a year ago (the beta), and created a new user file set (x86), while keeping all my old files in "Users2." So far, all directories in Users2 and below still work, but everything above that folder up to C:\ is MIA.

Whenever I go to My Computer, I click on C:\ and get the following message:

"C:\ is not accessible.

Access is denied."

I have two gut feelings about this:

1. It's a virus. (Preferable, but unlikely since I ran a scan the day before).

2. Windows built in some back door to the beta versions of W7 and deliberately disabled access to the files created when I installed it. (More likely, but probably still wrong).

Any suggestions/comments/questions?

Well, you could boot in to a Linux-based live CD and change file permissions (that'd be a blast); you could reboot in safe mode, log in to the administrator account and make a new account for yourself with admin rights; or you could reinstall Windows.

I'd go with option 3.

There's a few more options, but they're just variations on how to save your files and reinstall Windows, which is my recommendation.

Right click the C drive and look at your permissions under the security tab ?

If that's not it run a chkdsk and see if there's a problem there .

Do this by opening a command prompt and type "chkdsk /f", it should say "This disk is already in use, would you like to run the check disc at startup y/n", just type y and click enter then restart .

Well, you could boot in to a Linux-based live CD and change file permissions (that'd be a blast); you could reboot in safe mode, log in to the administrator account and make a new account for yourself with admin rights; or you could reinstall Windows.

I'd go with option 3.

There's a few more options, but they're just variations on how to save your files and reinstall Windows, which is my recommendation.

It will probably come to that eventually, although I don't like the idea of installing ANOTHER pirat--I MEAN, unauthorized copy of W7.

It's an ownership thing.

You have to go to the Security tab of the C drive. It should say something like permissions or ownership. You have to take ownership of the drive and replace the settings for all subfolders and orphans. Happens to me whenever I have to slave a drive.

It's an ownership thing.

You have to go to the Security tab of the C drive. It should say something like permissions or ownership. You have to take ownership of the drive and replace the settings for all subfolders and orphans. Happens to me whenever I have to slave a drive.

If he can't access the drive to begin with, he shouldn't be able to change drive permissions. Hence, booting in to safe mode and then making a new account/changing them there.

I don't use new Windows, it's just a shiny, new turd to put on your hard drive; so I could be wrong.

If he can't access the drive to begin with, he shouldn't be able to change drive permissions. Hence, booting in to safe mode and then making a new account/changing them there.

I don't use new Windows, it's just a shiny, new turd to put on your hard drive; so I could be wrong.

Windows is weird. If you're slaving a drive/etc. You can force the drive to change the owner to your account as long as you're an admin.

He can still change the user permissions on the drive, this has happened to me before .

^ You have problems with unauthorized copies?

CUTE.

Right click the C drive and look at your permissions under the security tab ?

If that's not it run a chkdsk and see if there's a problem there.

Do this by opening a command prompt and type "chkdsk /f", it should say "This disk is already in use, would you like to run the check disc at startup y/n", just type y and click enter then restart .

good idea, and i did try, but chkdsk just opens for like a half-second and closes immediately. thanks anyway =/

somewhat qft

you just lost the game lol

I guess I really did underestimate how much of a douchetool you were.

He can still change the user permissions on the drive, this has happened to me before .

Ah, never had this happen to me, so yeah. :\