Sign in to follow this  
Comrade_Panther

Gay Rights?

And, agian, I say: Good luck trying. It's not going to happen. Dude, you've made how many posts? Once you're here long enough, you'll understand.

Eh you can never solve anything without trying . But yeah i understand where you're coming from. I've dealt with many many servers, including my retired ones and others .

LOL .

I lol at how people think religion will change who they are .

For people with a fucked up sense of morality, religion can help shape them more towards a more positive member of society. As with all things though, too much (i.e., zeal) can be detrimental... a shining example being Fred Phelps.

That's not to say atheists/agnostics can't find their own means of becoming positive members of society, but some people just can't take ownership of their actions themselves and need to feel like there's an almighty judge watching down on them that will send them to hell if they do bad things.

For people with a fucked up sense of morality, religion can help shape them more towards a more positive member of society. As with all things though, too much (i.e., zeal) can be detrimental... a shining example being Fred Phelps.

That's not to say atheists/agnostics can't find their own means of becoming positive members of society, but some people just can't take ownership of their actions themselves and need to feel like there's an almighty judge watching down on them that will send them to hell if they do bad things.

Touché my friend .

Guest Mr Clickerson
What if two non religious want to get married. Why should they? Marriage isn't about pleasing a religion, if it was, everyone who was a couple would be some sort of Catholic, Jew, or Christian.

Tax Benefits

Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.

Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.

Estate Planning Benefits

Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.

Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.

Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.

Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.

Government Benefits

Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.

Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.

Receiving public assistance benefits.

Employment Benefits

Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.

Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.

Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.

Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.

Medical Benefits

Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.

Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.

Death Benefits

Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.

Making burial or other final arrangements.

Family Benefits

Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.

Applying for joint foster care rights.

Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.

Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.

Housing Benefits

Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."

Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.

Consumer Benefits

Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.

Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.

Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.

Other Legal Benefits and Protections

Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).

Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).

Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.

Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.

Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.

Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.

^^^^ this ^^^^No they don't have the same rights. Family has next of kin rights, Marital assets rights, Tax rights or power of attorney. Please enlighten me on what faiths beside conservative christen that does not allow for same sex marriage.

Conservative Jewish order, Unitarian Universalist, Episcopal, Lutheran and Unity Church accept homosexuality.

Would I be mistaken in saying that all of that is covered in a civil union as well?

Being that ~80% of the American population is Christian, that's a pretty big portion to make unhappy by allowing same-sex marriage. Judiasm does not allow it, nor does Islam. Hindus are on the edge, and Buddhists allow it, but those are a very small percentage. Roughly 16% of America is agnostic/atheist... But since that is the case why would they want to get married considering that's a religious ceremony? Those fighting for marriage who are gay are not Christian, Jewish, or Islamic, simply because those faiths prohibits homosexual behavior, which leaves marriage out of the question unless they're of another faith that allows it, in which case, maybe it should... But it would be far easier to just get all the benefits of marriage, call it a civil union, and be done with it.

I agree with this whole heartedly.

Guest formerlyaeth
Would I be mistaken in saying that all of that is covered in a civil union as well?

Being that ~80% of the American population is Christian, that's a pretty big portion to make unhappy by allowing same-sex marriage. Judiasm does not allow it, nor does Islam. Hindus are on the edge, and Buddhists allow it, but those are a very small percentage. Roughly 16% of America is agnostic/atheist... But since that is the case why would they want to get married considering that's a religious ceremony? Those fighting for marriage who are gay are not Christian, Jewish, or Islamic, simply because those faiths prohibits homosexual behavior, which leaves marriage out of the question unless they're of another faith that allows it, in which case, maybe it should... But it would be far easier to just get all the benefits of marriage, call it a civil union, and be done with it.

I agree with this whole heartedly.

Yeah. None of that counts if you're in a civil union, since the government doesn't recognize them as a certified union.

Being that ~80% of the American population is Christian, that's a pretty big portion to make unhappy by allowing same-sex.

Where do you get 80%. Its has been on a steady decline since WWII and a major drop from the 90's on. Not all people that would identify them self Christian are anti-homosexual. Some Christian churches allow homosexuality and some have ordained members that are gay. So your not going to piss of the whole 80%. What percent of Americans were against womens suffrage or the civil rights movement in the 60's.

Guest Mr Clickerson
Where do you get 80%. Its has been on a steady decline since WWII and a major drop from the 90's on. Not all people that would identify them self Christian are anti-homosexual. Some Christian churches allow homosexuality and some have ordained members that are gay. So your not going to piss of the whole 80%. What percent of Americans were against womens suffrage or the civil rights movement in the 60's.

Google is your friend. Depends on where you look, but most places say anywhere from 75 to 80 percent, some say more.

I stand corrected, though, you're right that Christianity isn't necessarily against homosexuality.

Yeah. None of that counts if you're in a civil union, since the government doesn't recognize them as a certified union.

I still stand that they should be fighting for civil union. Christianity, I know for fact, the faith does not condone same sex marriage, regardless of how they view homosexuals outside of that matter, same with Judiasm. Maybe they should be fighting to get them to recognize it as such, and get all the benefits, outside of religion, of a marriage... Then everyone is happy, unless they're so anal (lulul get it?) about it that they absolutely NEED to be married... In which case, they're not going to get very far, I feel.

Guest Mr Clickerson
If the goggle says so then it must be true.

Google* doesn't say it... The results of the searches do. Try "Christian population of America".

Do you not believe me? Is that some astounding percentage or what? The number of people who believe in Christianity has declined, but it's still the leading faith in America... Yes, more than atheists and agnostics, like myself.

Guest Mr Clickerson
Hes right about the percentage but the amount of those who actually go to church or follow religion is much lower.

Probably. I never said that percentage was devout.

The government has no business protecting religion.

The government has no right to deny equal protection of the law to its citizens.

The government has no authority to change definitions of words.

I'm straight, I could care less personally except that if the government is allowed to trample the rights of gays, then who next? And what if I find out a family member is gay and they are not allowed to have their relationship legitimized?

Guest formerlyaeth
The government has no business protecting religion.

The government has no right to deny equal protection of the law to its citizens.

The government has no authority to change definitions of words.

I'm straight, I could care less personally except that if the government is allowed to trample the rights of gays, then who next? And what if I find out a family member is gay and they are not allowed to have their relationship legitimized?

/thread

Guest Fohacidal

i think tristan wants gay rights...

for himself