Sign in to follow this  
Oracion

Religion and You

My personal belief is that some people use religion because they're scared. Nobody knows what happens after death, and this way they get to hope for something. There's nothing wrong with that. I think we all do it in our own way. It's putting something dark and scary in a better light. Then there are some people who grow up with religious family and they just learn it from them and continue believing because that's what they were taught. Others, like my brother, just use it as a default. "I'm athiest but if there is a god, I can repent my sins and I'll still go to heaven... you know... just in case!"

There are some good things behind religion. (Don't steal, don't kill, etc.) And I personally believe the bible is just a story book with some strong morals behind it. The point was to be a good person and care for other people. Over the years though, it's become (not religion but society in general) greedy, who can get the most money and watch out for your own ass.

Also, I'm athiest. I am a person who needs proof.

Guest formerlyaeth
My personal belief is that some people use religion because they're scared. Nobody knows what happens after death, and this way they get to hope for something. There's nothing wrong with that. I think we all do it in our own way. It's putting something dark and scary in a better light. Then there are some people who grow up with religious family and they just learn it from them and continue believing because that's what they were taught. Others, like my brother, just use it as a default. "I'm athiest but if there is a god, I can repent my sins and I'll still go to heaven... you know... just in case!"

There are some good things behind religion. (Don't steal, don't kill, etc.) And I personally believe the bible is just a story book with some strong morals behind it. The point was to be a good person and care for other people. Over the years though, it's become (not religion but society in general) greedy, who can get the most money and watch out for your own ass.

Also, I'm athiest. I am a person who needs proof.

It's false hope that causes wars.

The morals should be defaults for everyone, you shouldn't have to have a special imaginary friend who watches over you to make sure you aren't bad. In my opinion, religion should've been abolished along with the industrial revolution and scientific advacement. Even earlier if possible, the dark ages was a lot of wasted time.

Guest Fohacidal
A psychological need to find meaning in your life. Some people also use it to try and explain the unexplainable.

With that you could also describe peoples pursuit of science. To find out what life means and how it came to that meaning and to explain things we cannot understand with simple diagrams.

Guest formerlyaeth
With that you could also describe peoples pursuit of science. To find out what life means and how it came to that meaning and to explain things we cannot understand with simple diagrams.

Science is different

There is a psychological need to learn for everyone except fuck ups.

The difference is, you aren't learning if you're in a religion, sure you may learn some morals and get a church friend, but are you creating the LHC or finding evidence of the Big Bang, etc. etc.

The point is, you can't use religion to cure cancer. You may think you can, but in reality science is the one answer for everything. Unless you can give me some relatively creditable proof that religion is bullshit, I'm still an anti-theist.

Out of the hundreds maybe even thousands of religions, why do you feel that yours is the correct one.

Guest formerlyaeth
And who would of guessed, another religion bashing thread.

if a person debates religion, he is bashing it

if a religious person is debating atheism, it's cool bro

this is a RELIGION thread

i believe in the god of logic, and that by doing equations I am sacrificing graphite to him.

If someone debates my religion, it's bashing.

My religion is just as bullshit as yours, so why is it any different?

Guest Fohacidal
Science is different

There is a psychological need to learn for everyone except fuck ups.

The difference is, you aren't learning if you're in a religion, sure you may learn some morals and get a church friend, but are you creating the LHC or finding evidence of the Big Bang, etc. etc.

The point is, you can't use religion to cure cancer. You may think you can, but in reality science is the one answer for everything. Unless you can give me some relatively creditable proof that religion is bullshit, I'm still an anti-theist.

Out of the hundreds maybe even thousands of religions, why do you feel that yours is the correct one.

Is it just me or is it so hard for me to take tristans posts seriously? Im so used to him being dumber then a sack of potatoes

Anyway tristy boy, obviously you are an incredibly unbiased subjective young man so Ill take your post seriously.

So lets begin dissecting the following post first off. Us humans being complicated beings need to search for answers, this process in where we search for this answer and the processes that follow thereafter are known as science. Thus it has become a basic psychological function for humans to LOOK for answers and in a manner that we can completely explain in a subjective manner, therefore validating what I said.

However like religion science isnt always correct (as you probably already know). Which is where the existence of theories and what have you come in. Hell the function of a hypothesis was built on that you can never bank on science being right the first time. So a lot of what science is built on is processes thoerized up to possibly explain the unexplainable. Lets take the big bang theory for example. Just like the possibility of God's existence it to also has no tangible proof to support it other than a huge backing and people who can "explain" the existence of either.

Moving on though its impossible to compare the two. My comment was solely based on the vagueness junzou put into his post and the ambiguity it can have towards science, the pole opposite of religion. Comparisons such as "it can cure cancer" are so bare, scathing and cynical its like if your born with the preconceived notion people tout religion as the miracle cure for everything. Simply put it isnt, and nor do people shove it in your face either.

So tristan what "proof" do you need? Do you believe everything science tells you? I sure do believe the big bang theory is an incredibly credible theory as to how the universe came into existence yet no solid proof exists of it other than what scientists can predict will happen based on the movements of the stars.

In the end, I dont believe any religion is better than the other. I stick to mine because I believe it is better FOR ME but as to what is good for the rest of the masses that is completely up to them and its their decision alone. Where anyone said their religion is better is beyond me, I know I never said it nor implied it. Maybe you are just an asshole who hates on religion because you believe it to be an overbearing, fallacious, malicious and tyrannical organization that preys on the faith of millions to gain power. But hey, who am I to assume such crazy outlandish things...

Is it just me or is it so hard for me to take tristans posts seriously? Im so used to him being dumber then a sack of potatoes

Anyway tristy boy, obviously you are an incredibly unbiased subjective young man so Ill take your post seriously.

So lets begin dissecting the following post first off. Us humans being complicated beings need to search for answers, this process in where we search for this answer and the processes that follow thereafter are known as science. Thus it has become a basic psychological function for humans to LOOK for answers and in a manner that we can completely explain in a subjective manner, therefore validating what I said.

However like religion science isnt always correct (as you probably already know). Which is where the existence of theories and what have you come in. Hell the function of a hypothesis was built on that you can never bank on science being right the first time. So a lot of what science is built on is processes thoerized up to possibly explain the unexplainable. Lets take the big bang theory for example. Just like the possibility of God's existence it to also has no tangible proof to support it other than a huge backing and people who can "explain" the existence of either.

Moving on though its impossible to compare the two. My comment was solely based on the vagueness junzou put into his post and the ambiguity it can have towards science, the pole opposite of religion. Comparisons such as "it can cure cancer" are so bare, scathing and cynical its like if your born with the preconceived notion people tout religion as the miracle cure for everything. Simply put it isnt, and nor do people shove it in your face either.

So tristan what "proof" do you need? Do you believe everything science tells you? I sure do believe the big bang theory is an incredibly credible theory as to how the universe came into existence yet no solid proof exists of it other than what scientists can predict will happen based on the movements of the stars.

In the end, I dont believe any religion is better than the other. I stick to mine because I believe it is better FOR ME but as to what is good for the rest of the masses that is completely up to them and its their decision alone. Where anyone said their religion is better is beyond me, I know I never said it nor implied it. Maybe you are just an asshole who hates on religion because you believe it to be an overbearing, fallacious, malicious and tyrannical organization that preys on the faith of millions to gain power. But hey, who am I to assume such crazy outlandish things...

very well said. Funny how people in a western society only see two ways about our creation/meaning of life and the like. Nobody is going to switch sides with anything I say so I don't get in to debates over religion vs science.

Guest formerlyaeth

You got it.

Your opinion is biased, everyone's is. That's the fun of it. Everyone can be a cocky asshole and sometimes, you're persuasive enough to make them completely redirect their opinion. I could care less if you take me as a serious, intellectual person because intelligence has nothing to do with religion. If you were born into a family with NO religion, you'd be more convinced that there isn't any simple answer such as "The man in the sky." Catholicism isn't any more credible than Islam. Why need an excuse for morals instead of just making the decisions of what you think is right? The Big Bang theory is a much more logical choice in my opinion than creationism.

Read a bit on the theory, it has problems and issues just like any other. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

You can counter EVERYTHING I say with religion, but that doesn't neccesiarly mean it's correct. I'm not trying to convince anyone to convert, you can worship anyone you want. I'm just saying that without religion, a lot of the world would be much more advanced, which is really what we need. Do we need a large amount of churches, extremists, and children believing that if they do well in life, and are better in their eyes to others, then they're going to a nice place when they die.

Why do you think that religion has become less dominant in society as science continues to explain what earlier could not be explained other than with a book and a preacher.

Guest formerlyaeth

As you said, religion is the pole opposite of science.

More and more people are worshiping this hybrid of your god and science, which if I haven't said this before, isn't exactly religion. Those people are improvising on what they used to believe in as a way to adapt to our ever expanding knowledge of this universe and our place in it. Why is this?

Guest Fohacidal
You got it.

Your opinion is biased, everyone's is. That's the fun of it. Everyone can be a cocky asshole and sometimes, you're persuasive enough to make them completely redirect their opinion. I could care less if you take me as a serious, intellectual person because intelligence has nothing to do with religion. If you were born into a family with NO religion, you'd be more convinced that there isn't any simple answer such as "The man in the sky." Catholicism isn't any more credible than Islam. Why need an excuse for morals instead of just making the decisions of what you think is right? The Big Bang theory is a much more logical choice in my opinion than creationism.

Read a bit on the theory, it has problems and issues just like any other. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

You can counter EVERYTHING I say with religion, but that doesn't neccesiarly mean it's correct. I'm not trying to convince anyone to convert, you can worship anyone you want. I'm just saying that without religion, a lot of the world would be much more advanced, which is really what we need. Do we need a large amount of churches, extremists, and children believing that if they do well in life, and are better in their eyes to others, then they're going to a nice place when they die.

Why do you think that religion has become less dominant in society as science continues to explain what earlier could not be explained other than with a book and a preacher.

As you said, religion is the pole opposite of science.

More and more people are worshiping this hybrid of your god and science, which if I haven't said this before, isn't exactly religion. Those people are improvising on what they used to believe in as a way to adapt to our ever expanding knowledge of this universe and our place in it. Why is this?

Its so lulzy how wrong, and incredibly ignorant you are.

Also religion started becoming less dominant because of the separation of church and state to create a much more secular state. Even now though a lot of modern governments have strong roots in religion, hell look at the country you are living in tristan. Granted religion isnt perfect but nothing on this planet is, to highlight religion is only to target that which you barely understand.

Also explain this to me, I was born into an incredibly Catholic stringent family, yet I agree with the big bang, am incredibly open minded as to other peoples beliefs and hell I even support abortion in extreme cases where it is absolutely necessary. Life isnt so one sided tristy boy

Guest formerlyaeth
Its so lulzy how wrong, and incredibly ignorant you are.

Also religion started becoming less dominant because of the separation of church and state to create a much more secular state. Even now though a lot of modern governments have strong roots in religion, hell look at the country you are living in tristan. Granted religion isnt perfect but nothing on this planet is, to highlight religion is only to target that which you barely understand.

Also explain this to me, I was born into an incredibly Catholic stringent family, yet I agree with the big bang, am incredibly open minded as to other peoples beliefs and hell I even support abortion in extreme cases where it is absolutely necessary. Life isnt so one sided tristy boy

The one point I'm trying to make, and get across and have you answer is

Why do you need religion to have morals?

I haven't found one answer in this thread to my question. Maybe I'm stupid (Don't reply on that)

or you've been skipping over that part, maybe something else.

I really could give two shits if you are Catholic, but why do you need to be Catholic to be a decent human being. Why can't we have morals, without the gods,vengeance,lightning and hate. Along with the wars being fought over religion.

Guest formerlyaeth

It's fear for motivation, and if you need to be scared into being a decent person, then something is completely wrong with you. This country was based on freedom of religion, and escaping the persecution for separate beliefs. I respect your opinion, as much as I think it's completely wrong. You can have freedom, I can have freedom (Although still not as much as the average Christian in this society. Sadly persecution for personal opinions is still going on, even today. Amazing isn't it?)

1. Creationists make it sound like a ‘theory’ is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night — Isaac Asimov

2. I don’t believe in God. My god is patriotism. Teach a man to be a good citizen and you have solved the problem of life. — Andrew Carnegie

3. All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway

4. Lighthouses are more helpful then churches. — Benjamin Franklin

5. Faith means not wanting to know what is true. — Friedrich Nietzsche

Quotes 6 – 10

6. The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. — George Bernard Shaw

7. Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile. — Kurt Vonnegut

8. I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. — Frank Lloyd Wright

9. Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

10. A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. — Samuel Clemens

11. The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life. — Sigmund Freud

12. Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

13. The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church. — Ferdinand Magellan

14. Not only is there no god, but try getting a plumber on weekends. — Woody Allen

15. It’s an incredible con job when you think about it, to believe something now in exchange for something after death. Even corporations with their reward systems don’t try to make it posthumous. — Gloria Steinem

Guest formerlyaeth

Tstan I can see you in here, if you plan on posting, please don't act like you usually do. :(

Just saying

Guest Fohacidal
The one point I'm trying to make, and get across and have you answer is

Why do you need religion to have morals?

I haven't found one answer in this thread to my question. Maybe I'm stupid (Don't reply on that)

or you've been skipping over that part, maybe something else.

I really could give two shits if you are Catholic, but why do you need to be Catholic to be a decent human being. Why can't we have morals, without the gods,vengeance,lightning and hate. Along with the wars being fought over religion.

Its called subtext, I already answered your question. Oh wait the stupid thing almost forgot, lemme highlight it for you:

I dont believe any religion is better than the other. I stick to mine because I believe it is better FOR ME but as to what is good for the rest of the masses that is completely up to them and its their decision alone.

So if you want to be athiest good for you, if you can do that while being a good person then thats excellent. Each person has there reasons for following a religion, just because you stubbornly CHOOSE to believe its for just that one reason is your problem man.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT SECURITY TOKENS are going to make me rage

Edit: Iv just realized how futile this discussion is as how in all your simplicity and faggot ass triple posting I will never get you to understand what Im saying. Im done

There are many things that come to my mind when i hear the universe. How was it made? Who made it? Am i here on purpose? I'm christian so i do believe in a god. I don't really go to church. I think gives you hope for what lies for you after death. Cause once your dead there is noone to tell what goes on to a living person. There are many unexplained things too. Suspected Ghosts, apparitions, or demons are found in some places. Does this mean that they are accualy ghosts? Mabye. Science has not come far enough to explain this. I don't know where im exactly going with this. I just wanted to say somestuff. And Tristan Thorn. I can serious talk when i want too.

Guest formerlyaeth

But it doesn't sound very serious when I read it.

Looks like what a 7th grader says on facebook trying to debate.

@ Tstan (Above)

Fohacidal, I do get what you're saying. If I couldn't of understood the first response I probably wouldn't of jumped in like crabs on sammy.

Tstan, based on your post I really don't have anything to say. I'm not being cocky and saying I'm better than you but this is the same argument that every other 13 year old Christian has.

I don't see anything else to debate, and I guess the only good threads are if I shit post.

BRB grabbing my anal beads and dildos. Someone else get the pins for my urethra. and the video camera.

Guest formerlyaeth

Sounds like a compromise I'm willing to make.

I'm not sure why I came in here in the first place.

But it doesn't sound very serious when I read it.

Looks like what a 7th grader says on facebook trying to debate.

@ Tstan (Above)

Fohacidal, I do get what you're saying. If I couldn't of understood the first response I probably wouldn't of jumped in like crabs on sammy.

Tstan, based on your post I really don't have anything to say. I'm not being cocky and saying I'm better than you but this is the same argument that every other 13 year old Christian has.

I don't see anything else to debate, and I guess the only good threads are if I shit post.

BRB grabbing my anal beads and dildos. Someone else get the pins for my urethra. and the video camera.

To be honest i was trying to be serious.

Guest formerlyaeth

I understand that, but you aren't very persuasive in your debate.

What I'm trying to say is, don't join debate club unless you want to get laughed at.