Sign in to follow this  
dankfrank

External HDD

i have a question for you if i do get a HDD is their anyway to take like a copy of my current HD and put it on the external so if the current one fails and i cant retrieve anything from it i can just get a new internal and copy the stuff from the external?

i have a question for you if i do get a HDD is their anyway to take like a copy of my current HD and put it on the external so if the current one fails and i cant retrieve anything from it i can just get a new internal and copy the stuff from the external?

yea there is software than restore settings, files etc. from different drives.

however if you're going to have that setup i wouldn't recommend an external. i would get some internal SATA drives that mimic each other so in the event one fails, you can still use the either one.

i don't this because i have a external drive for extra storage of files and such. i do have folders on my external that i sync with my C: drive, so in any event one fails, i still have them somewhere.

yea there is software than restore settings, files etc. from different drives.

however if you're going to have that setup i wouldn't recommend an external. i would get some internal SATA drives that mimic each other so in the event one fails, you can still use the either one.

i don't this because i have a external drive for extra storage of files and such. i do have folders on my external that i sync with my C: drive, so in any event one fails, i still have them somewhere.

laptop here >.< no room

The main reason I bought an external was so I could back up my computer. There are two major ways to back up a computer. First and most common is files/data backup, where you make copies of your files and put them on the external, with either a program or manually. The other way, which I like using, is making an image/ghost of your OS. You get an imaging program that makes an exact copy of your HDD, put in on the external, then if you HDD dies or you get a major virus infestation, you can put that image onto the new drive and not need to install your OS or program all over again.

The other way, which I like using, is making an image/ghost of your OS. You get an imaging program that makes an exact copy of your HDD, put in on the external, then if you HDD dies or you get a major virus infestation, you can put that image onto the new drive and not need to install your OS or program all over again.

YES that is exactly what i want to do

now i just need a good HDD to do this with and an imaging program

any ideas guys?

EDIT:i took a look at newegg and i think im going to get this

WD has some network storage solutions that are fairly cheap and offer this type of functionality. Lacie makes cheaper solutions but without the one button backup that WD offers. I have a lacei 1TB gigabit backup that i purchased online for around 100$... i'm pretty happy with it so far.

I also use norton ghost with this and put my images on the hd. I can restore any of my 4 PCs from the network drive using ghost in this manner. I also stream tv episodes recorded from my media center over the same drive. The possibilities are nearly endless.

Good luck with this, make sure you do some research as this looks like it will be pretty important to you.

I've never heard of your group, but the drive Mario suggested is awesome if you're baking up one computers. If you want to do multiple computers, I suggest a network capable drive such as, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822154297 which is in the same model line that I currently use.

I've never heard of your group, but the drive Mario suggested is awesome if you're baking up one computers. If you want to do multiple computers, I suggest a network capable drive such as, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822154297 which is in the same model line that I currently use.

lol 2 reviews and both 1 egg no thanks

its just im strapped for cash and im trying to save a few and the one im looking at has pretty good reviews

it's got horrible ratings, for good reasons, the power adapter WILL (100% promise) fail. no doubts there. however, for the size and capabilities (gigabit and TB size) they're pretty good deals... if the PSU fails... you can get a replacement from lacie for about 7$ +2.99 (yup.. been there) so if you gotta pay 10$ a year... idk.. i thought it was worth it, but i think WD has some better solutions out now...

Lacie is pretty good for the price though, which is why i bought it (i was strapped at the time on cash) WD def has some badass network drives though...

i dont need a network drive

just one that i can burn an image of my internal to every week or so just incase

the one you picked looked good then, i've never heard of it, but it looks nice :D

I only like the network versions to also ghost my laptop, media center, linux game machine, and windows dev box...

for your situation, it sounds like what you picked is ok, but i personally would go with mario's suggestion. wd is a pretty reputable company lately.

yea iv only got this laptop thats partially why i want to back it up.

and the wd drives have more bad reviews than what i believe to be acceptable

what you can also do is buy a chassis from a reputable dealer with good reviews, generally, you can crack it open and put a hd in there (any size/company) and it will work (usually)

so you can just buy a good hd, and good chassis and roll with it... but, an HD with moving parts will fail eventually, they're all rated for a certain amount of time, and the external chassis have limited cooling capability...

honestly though, you can buy a 32gb thumb drive... won't your HD image fit on that?

nope my image would be around 150 gigs

plus i add things daily and its ever growing

ahh... well, i bought that lacie drive and googled lacie hacks... found out it ran linux... so i copied the boot partitions to a disk, put a 2TB seagate drive in, copied the booting shit over and used that... been working for a year so far, 8 months of that in Afghanistan where power is shitty heat it high and well... things shake alot from bombings.

nice

but i also have a huge collection on movies and i want to burn them onto there so i can put the disks in storage or sumthing

hey, i got your xfire add, but it didn't go through i guess? i'm using pidgeon to connect to xfire... what's your ID? ill add you so we can talk.