Sign in to follow this  
Clay

Buying a new TV

Alright, so I'm trying to find a decent, bargain tv. (inb4 oxymoron) I found one for about $400, and it doesn't look half bad. 720p and HDMI, which is a necessity. I would like to go up to 1080i, but I am strapped for cash, and don't think I could shell out an extra $300 for the cheapest TV on Newegg.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10728093

Here's the TV I was thinking of getting. Remember I'm not a millionaire. Explains why I'm going to WalMart for an HDTV. <_<

----------------

Now playing: Chiodos - Expired In Goreville

via FoxyTunes

Guest Marvin (Banned)

I'm sorry man but I don't think I'd trust some unknown brand from Walmart, why not try future shop... I got a real nice LG 32 inch for about 1000.

I'd hate to see you spend even that amount of money and have the thing never work properly for you...

Walmart cuts corners, in some situations that's ok, but when it comes to electronics, it's really hit and miss unless you're buying a video game or something.

Clayyy, haha, you beat me to buying a TV!

Also Office Depot has a 32" Memorex TV for 380 on their website as well if you want to check that out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fatb0yHAZE @ Nov 24 2008, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Vizio is a good bargain brand..

It's Samsung's off-brand.

The customer reviews seem okay.

I'd think you'd be fine with this investment.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Claytonian @ Nov 24 2008, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Alright, so I'm trying to find a decent, bargain tv. (inb4 oxymoron) I found one for about $400, and it doesn't look half bad. 720p and HDMI, which is a necessity. I would like to go up to 1080i, but I am strapped for cash, and don't think I could shell out an extra $300 for the cheapest TV on Newegg.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10728093

Here's the TV I was thinking of getting. Remember I'm not a millionaire. Explains why I'm going to WalMart for an HDTV. <_<

----------------

Now playing: Chiodos - Expired In Goreville

via FoxyTunes

lol they're the same. Current 720p TV's (not sure about older ones) can do 1080i because with interlacing (the "i") you can get an effect of 1080 horizontal lines of resolution with the same pixel count as 720p (about a million vs 2 million with 1080p). Honestly you only need 1080p if you're going above 40", at which point it gets necessary quickly. I would hit up the return or scratch/dent section at your local Best Buy if you want a quality picture, are on a budget and don't mind some minor scratches or a missing remote.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chronx @ Nov 25 2008, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Wow a 32in for 1k RIPPED OFF! I got a 46in 1080ip Sony Bravia at circuit city for 1,500.

You're talking about the Sharp, right?

Well, that's before instant savings, but after it's a pretty decent price at $700.

That's probably the smallest TV you're ever going to see with an actual 1080p resolution.

I've only heard good things about Aquos as well, so that TV should be a pretty good investment, but sadly, out of Clay's price range.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Øpiate @ Nov 25 2008, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

lol they're the same. Current 720p TV's (not sure about older ones) can do 1080i because with interlacing (the "i") you can get an effect of 1080 horizontal lines of resolution with the same pixel count as 720p (about a million vs 2 million with 1080p). Honestly you only need 1080p if you're going above 40", at which point it gets necessary quickly. I would hit up the return or scratch/dent section at your local Best Buy if you want a quality picture, are on a budget and don't mind some minor scratches or a missing remote.

This is why I ask on the forums. Thanks so much!!!

I'll have to check it out sometime, too bad we live about 20 miles from the nearest Best Buy :schmoll:. Oh well, maybe I'll get my friend to drive me up there.

----------------

Now playing: Tool - The Pot

via FoxyTunes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chronx @ Nov 25 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Wow a 32in for 1k RIPPED OFF! I got a 46in 1080ip Sony Bravia at circuit city for 1,500.

I'm laughing so hard. Size could mean less in the price, people are always like "You paid 1,800 for a 42" LG? I Payed 1,200 for a 50"!" Its not size, its quality, as in if it has 120mhz, The Refresh rate, picture quality, number of Hdmi, and HD out puts and such.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Contract_Killer @ Nov 26 2008, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I'm laughing so hard. Size could mean less in the price, people are always like "You paid 1,800 for a 42" LG? I Payed 1,200 for a 50"!" Its not size, its quality, as in if it has 120mhz, The Refresh rate, picture quality, number of Hdmi, and HD out puts and such.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chronx @ Nov 26 2008, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Then i guess my my T.V is better then your's, b/c i have smaller size, and it's still more.

And you said you payed 1,500 for a 46, so you are wrong, I never said smaller size was better either, I said size didn't matter.

Personally, I would save to get a 1080p over 1080i if you plan on using it for gaming. For general HDTV, you only need to get 720p, as that is what HDTV is. If you want a TV for cheap, just get a nice 32" capable of 720p, which looks fine. I personally would recommend either a 32" Toshiba or Samsung, which both display at least 720p.

The difference for those who do not know, is "p" is progressive, and "i" is interlaced. With progressive scan, frames are shown as one complete still, which reduces the jitter of images, or whatever you wisht to call it. Interlaced however takes a frame, and splits it off into two different frames. The first of the frames produced will carry lines 1, 3, 5, 7 ect. While the second will carry 2, 4, 6, 8 ect. These are then displayed one after another and the brain takes them and joins them back into a single image. However, sometimes the frames are put in the wrong order, and you end up with a stuttering image.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (`Mario @ Nov 26 2008, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Personally, I would save to get a 1080p over 1080i if you plan on using it for gaming. For general HDTV, you only need to get 720p, as that is what HDTV is. If you want a TV for cheap, just get a nice 32" capable of 720p, which looks fine. I personally would recommend either a 32" Toshiba or Samsung, which both display at least 720p.

The difference for those who do not know, is "p" is progressive, and "i" is interlaced. With progressive scan, frames are shown as one complete still, which reduces the jitter of images, or whatever you wisht to call it. Interlaced however takes a frame, and splits it off into two different frames. The first of the frames produced will carry lines 1, 3, 5, 7 ect. While the second will carry 2, 4, 6, 8 ect. These are then displayed one after another and the brain takes them and joins them back into a single image. However, sometimes the frames are put in the wrong order, and you end up with a stuttering image.

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't know what the difference was and now I know. I might just go with a 720p, seeing as how most of my games only support up to that...

----------------

Now playing: Sublime - Badfish

via FoxyTunes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chronx @ Nov 27 2008, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

But, before i used my 32in for gaming, and the mouse pointer is super laggy, and not synchronized, anything over 27 is going to have that problem.

That's with plasma TVs. My friend uses his 28" LCD with no problems. We tried playing Rock Band at my friends on his new plasma screen and it took me and this other kid about an hour to get the lag down as far as possible, but not even enough to be playable.

----------------

Now playing: Millencolin - Olympic

via FoxyTunes

Nope, its an LCD. But, maybe it was just the T.V?, i rly don't know. And i wouldn't put my 46" 1080p b/c it's to big for my desk, and the problem may get worse. If this happens to you hopefully u can return it, and try diff sizes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chronx @ Nov 27 2008, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Nope, its an LCD. But, maybe it was just the T.V?, i rly don't know. And i wouldn't put my 46" 1080p b/c it's to big for my desk, and the problem may get worse. If this happens to you hopefully u can return it, and try diff sizes.

Yeah, let's hope. Oh well, we'll find out when I finally get the TV.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ExplictX @ Nov 27 2008, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I have 46 inches of pure win.

I have 13, ask your mom...

I am teh jokes :D

@Chronx, I don't haz enough monehz! It has just been brought to my attention that I will most likely need to shell out $100 for the Valve Complete Pack...