Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spookiwi

Thought on Starting Build?

Since I have a potato for a laptop, I've decided to build my own gaming computer with the money I've saved over the years (and also got lucky on my moms scratch off ticket and won $300). It's nothing really special but just an entry level build that will allow me to upgrade as time goes on. I do have some questions as I'm not too experienced with specs on computers and such. I do have my brother helping me and he has helped some of his friends but I'd like some more opinions on it and I have questions that I hope some people can answer. 

Build: 

Cpu -  Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor

Gpu -  Gigabyte Radeon RX 470 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card

Mobo -  Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Ram -  Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage -  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Psu -  EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Pcpartpicker link - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yhDRnn

Using my Brother's Case and he's buying me my own Cpu fan so I don't have to worry about that.

He also found a lot of the parts on amazon for extremely cheap so it only totals around $450 :)

Questions:

What games can I expect to run with this? I've seen videos of people running games like Battlefield 1 on ultra at around 45 fps. I have no interest in graphics at all and just aim to enjoy the game and so I like to play with the best performance even if it means running it on low when there is no need but is that would I can expect? 

When I told some people that I was gonna get a gaming PC, most of the people kept pressuring me to overclock as much as I can. I'm not experienced with this but i know that it increases the heat of the part which can increase the chance of damage if it isn't done right. Should I look into overclocking or should I just forget about it?

Is there any programs I should get that can optimize my settings or stuff for gaming? I know if I had an nvidia card they gave the Geforce program that can help optimize their settings for the best performance but since I don't have an Nvidia card is there anything else?

That's pretty much all my questions for now. Hope you guys can give me your input if you have any. If I left off anything feel free to yell at me and call me a Potato.

Hope everyone has a great day! :D

id recommend overclocking if you want to

your warranty on the part doesnt cover it unfrotunately 

its also good if you use water cooling 

@driz Always has helpful input on these threads. We should just make a pubic thread to where you post your build and make sure it tags driz every time someone posts in it. Or he could just follow it XD

AMD has their Gaming Evolved app which pretty much is similar to Nvidia's app where you set the suggested settings for the games that you have installed on your computer. Note, the app(s) by default sets it so that the games are set to the highest setting that your system can handle.

Overclocking is not a necessity. Pros and cons to overclocking... Pros: Faster clock speed ---> faster computer; you get to see how fast you can get your CPU/GPU before your computer doesn't wanna turn on (so it's like a milestone/goal to get higher clock speeds)... Cons: Shorter lifespan, you're making a part run/do more work than it's supposed to, so it's going to reduce how long the part will stay working for; heat, heat, heat of course.

I suggest getting into overclocking later on down the road when you're more familiar with computer stuff.

What I can suggest however, would have to be investing in a SSD. Even using just a 120gb SSD for booting into Windows or whatever OS you're going to use will be significantly different from booting off of a HDD.

It's good that you're using one stick of 8gb RAM as opposed to two sticks of 4gb; you have the capability to upgrade your RAM by getting another 8gb stick. Unless you're going to be using more than one monitor, 8gb is all you need. If you plan on playing at high resolutions, then look into getting some more RAM, but for just one monitor at 1920x1080 (or close to that) 8gb is all you need.

4 hours ago, MistaChang said:

I'd do 16 gigs and stay away from liquad cooling. Too much work IMO.

I can always add more ram if I get a hold of some more money. I'm trying to stay as low as possible on the cost since I still have to pay for a lot of this when I start working this summer ;-;

5 minutes ago, ajsimeon said:

AMD has their Gaming Evolved app which pretty much is similar to Nvidia's app where you set the suggested settings for the games that you have installed on your computer. Note, the app(s) by default sets it so that the games are set to the highest setting that your system can handle.

Overclocking is not a necessity. Pros and cons to overclocking... Pros: Faster clock speed ---> faster computer; you get to see how fast you can get your CPU/GPU before your computer doesn't wanna turn on (so it's like a milestone/goal to get higher clock speeds)... Cons: Shorter lifespan, you're making a part run/do more work than it's supposed to, so it's going to reduce how long the part will stay working for; heat, heat, heat of course.

I suggest getting into overclocking later on down the road when you're more familiar with computer stuff.

What I can suggest however, would have to be investing in a SSD. Even using just a 120gb SSD for booting into Windows or whatever OS you're going to use will be significantly different from booting off of a HDD.

It's good that you're using one stick of 8gb RAM as opposed to two sticks of 4gb; you have the capability to upgrade your RAM by getting another 8gb stick. Unless you're going to be using more than one monitor, 8gb is all you need. If you plan on playing at high resolutions, then look into getting some more RAM, but for just one monitor at 1920x1080 (or close to that) 8gb is all you need.

I was reading up about what an SSD did. They seem extremely useful so I'm most likely gonna add that next when I can. 

My orders on Amazon tell me my stuff will only arrive next week even though I had it set to two day shipping. Hopefully this isn't the case as I'd like to play it as soon as possible but who knows with ordering stuff online.

6 hours ago, Spookiwi said:

CPU - I'd recommend an i5 or higher intel processor for gaming. 

GPU - Personal preference is Nvidia. Never liked AMD. From people I've talked to over the years I hear more complaints on AMD then NVIDIA.

Mobo - ASUS parts are really good IMO.  I built my own PC with their parts and it runs awesomely.

RAM - Corsair Vengeance is what I used for my RAM. Works very well. 8GB is perfectly fine for gaming. I have 32 GB cause I had the money and I use maybe 8GB at most. 

Storage - I've always like western digital. I know everyone bitches about how everyone should get a SSD however unless you're that particular about speed it isn't necessary. I do recommend getting a second HDD though for backups. Backups are your friend.

PSU - Just make sure you're not going cheap on this and that you have more W then what your PC parts require. I always go a bit more on this because honestly you can't go wrong.

My 2 cents.

EDIT: Also fuck liquid cooling. Get a decent case with good airflow and the right fans. Your PC will be fine. Overclocking is stupid and not worth anything anyone tells you. I've known people who fucked up overclocking and fried their PC. Not worth risking the $ on parts.

15 minutes ago, Reaper0470 said:

EDIT: Also fuck liquid cooling. Get a decent case with good airflow and the right fans. Your PC will be fine. Overclocking is stupid and not worth anything anyone tells you. I've known people who fucked up overclocking and fried their PC. Not worth risking the $ on parts.

Overclocking is so idiot proof now an idiot can do it. You put in a multiplier and you're done. If it's too much for your cpu it crashes 3 times then boots right back into BIOS for you to pick a lower number.

1 hour ago, ajsimeon said:

LOL

18 hours ago, iafunky said:

@driz Always has helpful input on these threads. We should just make a pubic thread to where you post your build and make sure it tags driz every time someone posts in it. Or he could just follow it XD

i can not, in good faith, review or support systems with AMD components. (same for apple products)

my first question would be, what is the budget though.. every one of these threads always skips that.. i mean, without knowing that, i assume the budget is 1k and this build is trash.. if the budget is 400, it's fine

also, you lose dual channel buying 1 stick of ram, if you want 8G buy 2x4.  a wd blue is the most shit hdd you can get from wd.. go black if you cant go ssd.  a shit ADATA ssd is going to do a lot more for you than any wd hdd though.

8 minutes ago, driz said:

i can not, in good faith, review or support systems with AMD components. (same for apple products)

my first question would be, what is the budget though.. every one of these threads always skips that.. i mean, without knowing that, i assume the budget is 1k and this build is trash.. if the budget is 400, it's fine

also, you lose dual channel buying 1 stick of ram, if you want 8G buy 2x4.  a wd blue is the most shit hdd you can get from wd.. go black if you cant go ssd.  a shit ADATA ssd is going to do a lot more for you than any wd hdd though.

Yeah, sorry about that. The budget started at around 500 but since I wanna pay this off as fast as I can I just went with around 400 and got the parts really cheap off amazon. I will start upgrading parts fairly soon, that's why I went with the 1 stick of ram instead of the 2 since it would've been waste of money in the long run. Honestly don't know what the difference is between Nvidia and AMD since i'm not that familiar with how they run but from what I've heard and read, people seem to say that the rx 470 is really good for how cheap it is. I'll end up getting an SSD later on too but that might be a while since I don't have time for a job with school and baseball.

28 minutes ago, Spookiwi said:

Yeah, sorry about that. The budget started at around 500 but since I wanna pay this off as fast as I can I just went with around 400 and got the parts really cheap off amazon. I will start upgrading parts fairly soon, that's why I went with the 1 stick of ram instead of the 2 since it would've been waste of money in the long run. Honestly don't know what the difference is between Nvidia and AMD since i'm not that familiar with how they run but from what I've heard and read, people seem to say that the rx 470 is really good for how cheap it is. I'll end up getting an SSD later on too but that might be a while since I don't have time for a job with school and baseball.

Nvidia cards will outpace AMD cards in performance, but are generally more expensive. NVidia drivers, at least historically, are much better and easier to manage than AMD drivers.

Overall, in my opinion, Nvidia cards are worth it.

31 minutes ago, Spookiwi said:

this helps, ok so i would still get 2 sticks of ram, the dual channel boost is good, if you plan to add another 8 within the next 6 months, i guess you could buy 1 now, but then you don't get a kit (kits are better for dc memory than just buying two sticks)

amd vs intel really doesnt matter, i used to be a huge ati/amd fanboy until they started sucking, amd pretty much solo destroyed ATI, IMO. nvidia has better drivers in every OS and better performance. it sounds like the 470 is good (http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-470/3649vs3640) so you could stick with that and it's a nice price point.

ssd can def wait, just keep in mind, you're buying a great system and then bottlenecking the shit out of it with a wd blue