Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trav

Travelling to London and Amsterdam in August

Anyone ever been to either city? Looking for recommendations for good restaurants to eat at (we'll try anything). Or interesting sites to see while we're there. Anything will help.

Going to see The Book of Mormon musical in the Prince of Wales Theatre, also seeing Louis C.K. and will likely take a tour of the Harry Potter studios all in London.

For most of our stay in Amsterdam we're attending the Dekmantel Festival and will be partying there for most of the time and will likely be on the Boiler Room stream at one point haha. Might even go to the new club called De School

@Shifu you live in Amsterdam right?

Here's 2 nice restaurants in London, enjoy your short stay.

Bodean's BBQ is amazing for meat and Fire & Stone for pizza.

There was one for burgers but I forgot the name orz.

London wasn't my favorite, because the buildings are grey, the people are grey, the skies are grey

But usual touristy places, Buckingham Place, the Eye, Big Ben, ect

Something I've been doing since I've been traveling was trying the food of a chain restaurant. For example, McDonald's tastes the best in Jordan, then Germany, then USA, then London, where, dear God Almightly, it was missing all of the flavor and travs fats. 

Mind you, I was 14 when I went in 2009; I essentially followed my dad and sister around lol 

Something that did stick with me though was the train ride from London to Manchester. It's about a 3 hour bullet train ride, through the country, absolutely breathtaking. Go check out the football stadium, but the rolling hills and villas cut into the mountains were incredible. 

1 minute ago, DogsGoMeow said:

Was in Amsterdam 2 weeks ago.

Didn't go well.

Go on lol

4 minutes ago, DogsGoMeow said:

I won't but just watch out for people on bicycles.

You're no fun.

But I figured out to stay out of the bike lane in Berlin.

I've been to London and to be honest, it was my favorite place I've ever been to. Make sure that one of the things you have in London is fish and chips, as it is probably the best I've had in my life. Piccadilly Circus is pretty much just some giant TV's and shopping outlets you can find anywhere else. Tell me what you like to do so I can recommend something to you.

14 minutes ago, TheWaffler said:

I've been to London and to be honest, it was my favorite place I've ever been to. Make sure that one of the things you have in London is fish and chips, as it is probably the best I've had in my life. Piccadilly Circus is pretty much just some giant TV's and shopping outlets you can find anywhere else. Tell me what you like to do so I can recommend something to you.

I'll have to grab a couple pints and some pub food. Any good eats, good drinks, anything artsy. Will likely spend some time in the theatre district and check out the Borough Market. I usually stay away from the chain restaurants because you can get those anywhere and would rather indulge myself in the culture. Usually like to hang in places that have some character or history rather than the new material things like big shopping places and malls.

Looking for a good neighbourhood to spend a lot of time in. Somewhere where there are record shops with the hip, cool art folks hahah.

Even a museum would be good to spend some time in, especially for a rainy day.

We might actually go check out a football game in the area, just for the experience.

And I'll prolly treat the Mrs to this restaurant on our last day when we go see Louis CK

http://www.closmaggiore.com/

Yes, there's the British Museum which houses history about humans, art, and culture. My dad went there and he said it's a very fine museum. That's where I'd go considering museums.

I was in Amsterdam a few years ago for a week. Before i took a cruise around the Baltic countries.

100% recommend the red light district. Its not only for hookers,  it designed for tourists as well.

Go and look at the mushroom and psychedelic shops, even if your not doing the drugs because they are very interesting.

Also there's a store that sells custom condoms for souvenirs. I bought a condom that was morphed and painted to look like the statue of liberty. For some reason.

Smoked alot of weed and hung out by the canals. Very beautiful city with a great positive atmosphere all around. There's not much in the way of site seeing, go exploring. Dont remember any of the names of the restaurant, was too baked for my own good. 

The premier league season ended in May, and the international teams are all playing in Euro 2016 in France, so there are no football games really to be watched. 

I've been to Europe/England/London many times, and I have to say one of my favorite places to eat is the "Regency Cafe" http://www.yelp.com/biz/regency-café-london-2  

Its an all British cafe, with British decor and menus, and the food is great as well. It's not expensive, and the place has been used in movies and commercials.  Also, getting a Tube pass for the day lets you travel effortlessly around London and see all the sights easily.  Hyde park is a great place as always to wander around. 

On 6/23/2016 at 10:51 AM, Travesty said:

Anyone ever been to either city? Looking for recommendations for good restaurants to eat at (we'll try anything). Or interesting sites to see while we're there. Anything will help.

Going to see The Book of Mormon musical in the Prince of Wales Theatre, also seeing Louis C.K. and will likely take a tour of the Harry Potter studios all in London.

For most of our stay in Amsterdam we're attending the Dekmantel Festival and will be partying there for most of the time and will likely be on the Boiler Room stream at one point haha. Might even go to the new club called De School

@Shifu you live in Amsterdam right?

take me with