Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thunderbolt

IRL Guns? Favorites, must-haves, and dream firearms

What real firearms does everybody here have? I've got a Dan Wesson Guardian Commander 1911, chambered in .45ACP with a bobtail. 8+1 capacity, my go-to for concealed carry. Also have a Remington 1100 semi-auto shotgun, and probably buying a Sig Sauer P938 this week, just to have something a bit smaller and lighter for concealment. What's in your arsenal?

I own a CZ Scorpion EVO, stainless Sig P226 9mm, Beretta m9 9mm, Sig p238 380 auto, smith and wesson 9mm cleveland police issued pistol, sig mosquito, and a walther p22.

ruger 10/22, ATI Omni Hybrid AR-15, Prem PSA upper build AR-15 (by me), S&W mod. 14-3, Springfield XD 45, SKS k series, 870 WingMaster, 91/30 mosin, Henry Steel Boy.

Wishlist currently is my dad wants a cz 75 and I only have about 20 rifles I want in a google doc if interested

Have a Sig p229 9mm. I was interested because of the different round types and one version you could use two different types with a simple barrel swap.

However it was hard to find a non 9mm version. Also I read an independent FBI funded study that they requested because of all the debate that 9mm suck. Also they wanted to standardize due to cost. They found in terms of stopping power there was no difference and since 9mm is more abundant they went with that despite some people bitching.

Probably not a good time to say this but I kinda of want an AR-15 but it is illegal in my state so out of the question as long as I live here.

I thought of getting a shotgun because the handgun is more for protection and i live in an apartment. However the entry points someone would take I wouldn't have to worry about shooting into someone else's apartment. Also despite being for protection I would want to go to the range every once in awhile and there aren't really any skeet ranges for me to get a shotty. I'll just get hallow points I guess to limit the wall penetration.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, centran said:

Have a Sig p229 9mm. I was interested because of the different round types and one version you could use two different types with a simple barrel swap.

However it was hard to find a non 9mm version. Also I read an independent FBI funded study that they requested because of all the debate that 9mm suck. Also they wanted to standardize due to cost. They found in terms of stopping power there was no difference and since 9mm is more abundant they went with that despite some people bitching.

Probably not a good time to say this but I kinda of want an AR-15 but it is illegal in my state so out of the question as long as I live here.

I thought of getting a shotgun because the handgun is more for protection and i live in an apartment. However the entry points someone would take I wouldn't have to worry about shooting into someone else's apartment. Also despite being for protection I would want to go to the range every once in awhile and there aren't really any skeet ranges for me to get a shotty. I'll just get hallow points I guess to limit the wall penetration.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

You're absolutely right. With today's technology as it is, the .40S&W round is essentially just a bigger, slower 9mm. They cost about twice as much and basically do the same damage. I use my .45 as my primary carry, and I'm getting the P938 (small 9mm, 7+1 with ext mag) for when I'm wearing something that just won't accommodate the size of my 1911. My general belief in terms of carry guns is that you should carry the largest caliber you can reliably handle. I chose the 1911 for its unwavering reliability, good capacity (for a .45), and having the best trigger in the world. There are a large following of people who'd rather have the capacity of a double-stack 9mm, especially as you can get a fair size handgun that can hold 18 rounds or so. IMHO, the stopping power of the .45 outweighs the capacity of the 9mm, but that also comes from someone with significant handgun/firearm tactical training, and I'm confident in my ability to hit my target without emptying a mag. Another big factor for me is an external safety. There are far too many cases of people not paying attention while handling/holstering a handgun without an external safety and putting anywhere from 2-4 holes in their leg. Any gun I ever carry will have either an external safety(typically at least thumb, if not also beavertail/trigger), or a DA first pull action. This is the one reason I will not purchase a Glock for carry use. As reliable and handy as they are, it's just too easy to make a critical mistake, whether it involves a straying finger, a loose shirt/belt clip getting stuck in the trigger, etc.

Always use hollow points for defense. They minimize the risk of shooting through a target and hitting anything beyond, and can more effectively neutralize a threat with fewer rounds. To see this effect increase, check out these frangible rounds: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/26/g2r-radically-invasive-projectile-9-part-9mm-segmented-hollow-point/

I like the idea of a shotgun for home defense, but a good handgun, when used properly, can have the same effect. Especially in an apartment complex, you have to be especially careful of what rounds you use and who is located where around you. It's a good upgrade to keep in mind, but as long as you've got something you can defend yourself with for the time being, I wouldn't rush out and get a gun you can't really use. When you do look into it, make sure you get a good pump shotgun with a capacity not limited for birds. Tactically, you should keep some slugs and another type of shot easily accessible (can even be strapped to the gun), and a 20 gauge should be plenty sufficient. The only thing scarier than getting shot as an intruder is hearing the loud rack of a pump shotgun. 

Last gun my dad got before he died was a Colt 44 Special, don't know the model but it looks similar to this. Keeping it forever. It shoots like a fucking dream.colt-frontiers-lo-600x291.png