Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

david

1080 or 980?

Im thinking about taking the huge leap from my dead ass 680 to the newest, or hold out and just get the 980 which should drop in price soon. The only thing is though that with both I would have to buy a new power supply im pretty sure, depending on the voltage. Also im thinking about totally remaking my shitty alienware computer to get an entire new one. Which one would you guys get, the latest and greatest or one gen off for a softer blow to the wallet :P

Id get the 1080 due to you not having to upgrade for probably 2 - 3 years depending on what games you play..  it could probably last you 5+ compared to you wanting to upgrade from 980 to 1080....

184 wattage at 100% stress at max power draw (for the 1080).

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review,8.html

So 184W + 100 W for CPU we will say since it's unspecified (100W being rather high if your CPU i currently newer than Sandy Bridge) then 50W for the rest of the shit (being generous with that wattage), you're sitting at 334W total of usage. Also, fuck what the "recommended" power is for the GPU. It's bullshit unless you have a shit power supply, a 400W bronze rated of a reputable brand is more than enough.

EDIT: Actually, the 1080 uses about 10W more than the 980 according to the same graph. So upgrading the  PSU would be pointless.

24 minutes ago, Dray the time traveler said:

the 1080 is 900 dollars , the 980 is 520 dollars , so i say go for the 980 if you dont want to waste alot of money

What the fuck kind of math are you doing in your head, boy? Prices are ~$600USD for the 1080, and $700 for the Founder's Edition, right in line with the 980ti's pricing. 

Remind me to vote no on your app

36 minutes ago, Roflstomp said:

What the fuck kind of math are you doing in your head, boy? Prices are ~$600USD for the 1080, and $700 for the Founder's Edition, right in line with the 980ti's pricing. 

Remind me to vote no on your app

ez 

1 hour ago, Dray the time traveler said:

the 1080 is 900 dollars , the 980 is 520 dollars , so i say go for the 980 if you dont want to waste alot of money

>waste

>waste

>waste

>waste 

2 hours ago, Dray the time traveler said:

ez 

you edited out your posts, now i gotta vote no too

Even if you buy a 1080 they'll come out with a new one with at least double the transistor density within 3 years.

I bought my Titan Z's almost exactly 2 years ago, doesnt matter which you buy, but the performance increase for the 1080 seems worth the extra money imo.

AKA Moore's Law

i would get a 1070.. what exactly are you doing that requires a 1080?

buy a 1070, if you need more power later, buy another 1070

On 5/23/2016 at 9:06 PM, The Doctor Zed said:

Even if you buy a 1080 they'll come out with a new one with at least double the transistor density within 3 years.

I bought my Titan Z's almost exactly 2 years ago, doesnt matter which you buy, but the performance increase for the 1080 seems worth the extra money imo.

AKA Moore's Law

I think I recall seeing that we can't get much smaller die shrinks anymore because were about as small as we can get with current technology, as in, we need a new material to make this happen that we are currently not using.

11 minutes ago, driz said:

i would get a 1070.. what exactly are you doing that requires a 1080?

buy a 1070, if you need more power later, buy another 1070

You could, but then you have to deal with SLI which I personally don't care for, not all games support it and the ones that do have varying results in how efficiently they use the 2nd card.

On 5/24/2016 at 11:54 AM, B-cock #1 said:

I think I recall seeing that we can't get much smaller die shrinks anymore because were about as small as we can get with current technology, as in, we need a new material to make this happen that we are currently not using.

You could, but then you have to deal with SLI which I personally don't care for, not all games support it and the ones that do have varying results in how efficiently they use the 2nd card.

Vortec(i believe thats the name) in less then 1-2 years is showing it will be double what the 1080 is.

GG just looked at the date.

there is no reason to not upgrade to a 10x0. the price point is lower, performance is better. unless 980ti's drop to the 300 range, this isn't even a question.