Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. NarwhalsNumbNuts IV

LG G4 H815 Motherboard Defect

I have the worst  luck when it comes to cell phones. 

First, a story:

My Galaxy S II just randomly died, battery would not charge, even with a new one.

Galaxy IV had a SIM card defect, no longer read my SIM card, and had a battery issue.

June 2015 I bought a T-Mobile LG G4 from a guy on Craigslist. He was an employee and I later found out that he got the phone through a promotion that only T-Mobile employees got. This meant the phone was never meant to be used on any other network other than T-Mobile. This was an issue since I have AT&T and I was traveling overseas the Summer of 2016. After an FCC complaint, someone from the head of T-Mobile's exec office basically telling me to give the name of the employee to unlock my phone, I refused. He was a 19 year old college kid; I wasn't about to get this kid sued/fired over a phone. 

I resold the phone at $25 more than what I paid for, so not too shabby. I then bought an unlocked version from Amazon, the LG G4 H815, in September of 2015. The listing specifically stated, "No warranty", to which I thought, "well, I'll still have the manufacturer's warranty". And I do! The issue now is this:

LG G4 H815's made before September, with serial numbers starting with "505" to "508" are plagued with a defect that essentially locks the phone into a never ending reboot cycle. I emailed LG and told them the issue and they basically said, "It's an international model, usually sold in the UK. We can't do anything stateside because our technology would not work with the international versions components". Now, I'm still going to call them and plea for a trade for an unlocked or AT&T LG US variant, I'll even pay shipping. I'm also going to local shops in my college town to see what they can do. I'm not the only person with this issue; XDA forums are filled with similar stories. LG released a statement saying they would fix or replace the phones, no questions asked, for free. My issue is that they went back on their word when I emailed them. My next biggest issue is that I'm usually able to work around hardware issues, other than the battery or SIM issues as stated above, but I can't fix this. I'm back on my Moto G, XT1045, which is 4 years old. It's awfully slow and a pain in the ass to use. I still need a phone that I can use overseas, with expandable memory, and a kick ass camera. I'm going to see my grandparents, so I need something to help preserve memories of the trip. 

SO, the question. 

What should I do? Bitch out LG, file an FCC complaint against them for going back on their word, give up and suck it up till I save more money, ect? I spent $470+ on the phone and an Otterbox case, I've never dropped it or had it near water, this is most certainly a defect out of my control. 

Ideas, advice?

This is why I have insurance through my carrier lol. If anything happens they overnight me a new phone. If I remember correctly the one plus 2 has 2 sim slots. I'm not sure if it will work in your situation, buts they are pretty good for $350

5 minutes ago, Fugner said:

This is why I have insurance through my carrier lol. If anything happens they overnight me a new phone. If I remember correctly the one plus 2 has 2 sim slots. I'm not sure if it will work in your situation, buts they are pretty good for $350

I do like that phone, but it doesn't have a micro SD slot. That's a big thing for me, my music alone takes up 15 gigs... and 128 gb models are pricey. Much easier to get the SD slot.

Insurance was not an option in this case, since it was an international, non-carrier phone :(