Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rootbeer

Hearthstone finally gets an actual format

Blog post

zoXLzGj.png

- +9 deck slots because any more than that would've been too confusing

- New format restricts decks with cards only from the recent expansions + classic, no Naxx, no GvG

- Druid finally getting nerfed

- Face Hunter on the rise since no heal bot, no annoyotron, no deathlord, no SLUDGIE

- Secret pally gets nerfed, no avenge, no muster, nothing

- New expansion coming out

I like the idea of crafting cards from naxx, It's really hard to save 700 gold to buy a single wing. btw this might change the tourney rules and hopefully the new expansion wont be worse than TGT. O well, time to save gold for that new expansion.

Explain this to me. I just read everything and dont understand. 

WHAT IS HAPPENING?

WHY ARE DRUIDS GETTING NERFED? THEYRE NOT BROKEN.

HUNTERS NEED THE NERF.

Dr. 7 and Dr. 6 will be nerfed.

WHY ARE DRUIDS GETTING NERFED? THEYRE NOT BROKEN.

Check the stats -- Druids have been toptier for the entirety of hearthstone history. They're consistently at the very top of any meta decks and are the go-to decks whenever a tourney player has enough of their opponent's shit. Every top druid deck will either push their enemy's health down fast and then force of nature -> savage win or ramp up taunts until they can force of nature -> savage win through attrition -- there's nothing that can be done when played right.

Explain this to me. I just read everything and dont understand. 

WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Hearthstone getting a format, a set of rules for your deck, is the main chunk of meat here. If you've ever played Yugioh or Magic, you're used to the idea that some cards are limited to 1 or 2, while others are straight up restricted from being played. In Magic or Yugioh, if you wanted to use more than 1 limited or banned card then you have to abide by the more lenient format.

For example in Yugioh, Jar of Greed is banned in normal play (called advanced format). If you wanted to use it at all, you have to play in traditional format, where you can use any and all cards too. However since your deck is now a traditional deck since you have Jar of Greed, you might face an opponent who uses Yata Garasu, another banned card. Then you know you're gonna get cheesed and life will suck.

Hearthstone's getting a similar system, but instead of restricting specific cards like magic and yugioh, an entire collection of cards are going to be restricted. For example, the League of Explorers cards just came out this year. Next year in 2017, they will be restricting the LoE cards and introduce another set of cards. The year after that, they will restrict cards from 2017 and come up with yet more cards, etc etc. I personally think it's a neat system: new metas will be created and lost every year. A deadline for each new expansion (every year) will also mean there's always something to look forward to if the game gets boring.