Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KiLLeR

Getting new parts for my PC

So on black Friday and cyber Monday i will be upgrading my computer. I am getting a new motherboard, case, and processor. I was wondering how hard it'll be to put in a new motherboard because i haven't done it before but from what i read in terms of breaking it as long as i ground myself i should be fine. I have changed some parts on my computer before but i wanted to know if there was anything i should know or do before I go and buy the parts and install them.

Here's the motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130868

Here's the case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146105

Here's the processor i'll be buying: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117563

When you are going to place the CPU in the Mobo, and you clamp it shut, it will make a sound, which is completely fine.  It's also ok to bend the motherboard a little bit when installing.  Unless you are out west, there is not a HUGE risk of static electricity, but discharge yourself often or use a grounding bracelet. 

I know that slyfox but thanks and nope not in the west i'm in Wisconsin but ill be using a bracelet as well to help make sure there's no static and sounds good nothing

any specific reason to get a z170 mobo when you arent getting the 6600k?

if not i would suggest you put more money to get the 6600k and spend less on the case or get get a H170 mobo thats cheaper and put the money into something else

if not i would suggest you put more money to get the 6600k and spend less on the case or get get a H170 mobo thats cheaper and put the money into something else

nope, suggestions?

Z97 mobo and a 4690K if you're going with an I5. You'll save even more, tbh, and unless you're using multi-GPU you won't see much of a difference between the two platforms

EDIT: Depending on when you have funds, I have a Micro Center that's an hour from my house that usually has some pretty crazy CPU/mobo combo sales, especially the z97 platform. If you want, I can check it out and buy for you and ship. Could end up saving you more than Newegg will, since components tend not to be discounted too much on BF/CM

Price > performance is not a factor here. Future proofing is. Getting an i5 Skylake is currently way more effective, its BARELY more expensive. The board is way better too. You literally save around 30-50 dollars total on the mobo + cpu.

Don't know why you're bringing up what is a better price, as he did not ask for that, he asked for tips on putting it together. I'm sure k1ller can appreciate that you're helping him with shipping.

I'm also going to have to buy DDR4 RAM so ill probably just get that when its on sale because newegg has sales with ram daily.

Mofl thanks but i'm alright it'll be a while until i get all the components because i have to get together the money.

I changed the case so it'll look better because it'll be hard to get parts that'll complement orange and black so I updated the link with the one i'm going to get. Thanks for the advice everyone if i need anything else ill edit my post.

Last question, will the stock cpu cooler be enough or should i get an aftermarket one?

Aftermarket. Get a corsair H series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my H110 in all of its massive glory, and can get behind this.

I'm also going to have to buy DDR4 RAM so ill probably just get that when its on sale because newegg has sales with ram daily.

Mofl thanks but i'm alright it'll be a while until i get all the components because i have to get together the money.

I changed the case so it'll look better because it'll be hard to get parts that'll complement orange and black so I updated the link with the one i'm going to get. Thanks for the advice everyone if i need anything else ill edit my post.

Last question, will the stock cpu cooler be enough or should i get an aftermarket one?

You'll be shoehorned into Z170 then. Reports are going out that stocks are dwindling for haswell/DC already, so skylake is the way to go. My offer still stands since I love making excuses to go out there, lol