Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arrkham

Fallout 3 Issues

I know that Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7 or older, but I would love to get it for my Windows 10 64-bit. It crashes as soon as I click play on the launcher. Has anyone been able to get it to work?

hahahhahha ohhhh buddy.. lemmy tell yah.. been fighting that game allll week XD i actually bought it last summer sale and it took me a few months to getting around to installling it. when i finally did it took me 3 days to dl. (my internet blows) and got it all set up but it immediately started crashing on startup... i have win 7 64bit. took me a while to figure out how to fix my problem.

not sure if it will help but goto document/mygames/fallout3 find the gameconfiguration doc FALLOUT. find the line bUseThreadedAI=0 and change it to 0 then after add the line iNumHWThreads=2. then try launching 

this fixed mine a while back and had np for a very long time. i put in like 110 hours in the game then go side tracked making maps for csgo. my mom recently started playing new Vegas again and that got me back in the mood. i jumped on about a week ago. was playing but like 4 mins into the game it crashed. im getting crashes constantly but its always in game. not on startup. ive tried everything to fix. but i just recently ended up having to re download it 3 days later here i am. it just finished downloading. im gonna be trying it again later today so ill let u know if ive fixed my problem. im hoping my game files just corrupted somehow and the game fixed itself re downloading. 

There is one more fix to do after the above fix if your computer is still having issues.

Open msconfig.exe

Select the Boot tab

Click Advanced Options

Set number of Processors to 2

Click Ok

Click Apply

Restart your computer

Fallout 3 has issues with processors with more than 2 cores.

To undo the above go to the same location and uncheck the number of processors checkbox and click ok and apply and restart

hmmm.... i wish i had tried that before i formatted my fallout... lol! well if i have any problem ill try that too! XD

edit: oh i still have my saves but i need to find my player home mod so my saves work right

edit edit: alright so reinstalling didnt fix. my ini file edit fix didnt work. and unfortunately the msconfig fix didn't work either...but... i went into the configuration file and saw that fallout was trying to display across both my monitors XD unplugged one and refresh the graphics settings. and now i can launch. im going to refresh my saves and start playing again. ill edit again to let you know if it runs longer then 5 mins XD

final edit (I hope) so it basically stopped working again and i was starting to get really frustrated. anyways i found  a final fix that i have been using for the last couple of hours and seems to be as stable as i can get it.. i left the msconfig at 2 cores. left the edits i did on the FALLOUT config. and finally i use the geforce command center to launch fallout rather than through steam. i dont have steam overlay but i was able to finish operation anchorage without a single crash! hope this works for anyone!

There is a youtube video where you download windows game live and other files to replace. Can't remember the exact details... Just for a placebo effect, run the game in the compatibility mode to Vista SP2 or older. By doing these, I got it to run in Windows 8.1.

Edit: after visiting vault 106, my desktop began to look purplish whenever I close the game after a 2 hour session. It goes back to normal when I restart though. (could it be the intel hd4000?)