Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Knox

Amazon purchased Twitch

What's the reasoning behind this? I don't really see how both companies relate. 

They'll probably link it in with Prime or some shit.. 

Actually preferable to Google.

Yep. The biggest concern was that many streams played music in the background. Since Google already has the technology to auto-detect audio fingerprints of copy-written audio there was fear that streams would suddenly shut off if someone played music in the background.

Is this a concern with Amazon? Well, they don't have the technology built yet but being a large company you better believe that others will come after them for copyright issues. That is if Amazon doesn't try to take Twitch into a completely different direction. Who knows what they have planned for them but if they keep things the same you better believe the concerns everyone had with Google will come to light with Amazon as well. They just won't be able to act as fast on it.

It will be interesting to see what Amazon does with this. The first thing I can think of is to try and profit from the streamers. So they might implement a tiered system. You can only stream to so many people for free and then you have to purchase Amazon Prime to get to the next tier. Then a tier above that will be "contact us for a quote". Then I am sure they will try to cash in from the watchers as well.

Who knows what they have planned for them but if they keep things the same you better believe the concerns everyone had with Google will come to light with Amazon as well. They just won't be able to act as fast on it.

as long as I can stream game without disruption, everything will be okay

they might treat their employees like shit, but twitch is separate from that hopefully

I'm thinking since Amazon owns a lot of servers, they may be able to bring down the delay in streams. It's almost guaranteed that Prime will be involved in some way, maybe it will act as Turbo? But with how big esports is, this has some real potential for them.

In the end, we will just have to play the waiting game.

Probably the best company that could have bought them. Amazon is one of the few companies left that cares about customer experience, and their massive resources will help.

Probably the best company that could have bought them. Amazon is one of the few companies left that cares about customer experience, and their massive resources will help.

What this man said