Sign in to follow this  
Clamps

PC Upgrades

I'm thinking about upgrading some components in my PC that are probably a bit overdue. Looking to get some ideas from anyone who may have upgraded lately. Not looking for high end, bank busting upgrades, but sensible ones. Here's what I'm currently running: 

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Desktop Processor 

2 x ($49.99) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

PNY VCGGTX7702XPB-OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB OC 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express

Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified

I think the only thing that probably should be upgraded is the processor. I'm trying to figure out why I'm having such brutal FPS drops and lag when playing just about anything.. I have a feeling part of it has to do with being hooked up to a TV via DVI > HDMI connection, but I'm not sure. Any (competent) input is appreciated. 

Edited by Clamps

Get a i7 2600K and throw a Hyper 212 EVO on it and overclock it to 4.7Ghz and you'll be golden

lol jk I don't know there has to be a reason you're dropping frames cause that setup is perfectly fine

Edited by Destin

unless you play games like battlefield 4 with all ultra (which should probably still run pretty okay) you should run all games just fine. Try connecting a regular monitor if you find one to know if that is the problem.

unless you play games like battlefield 4 with all ultra (which should probably still run pretty okay) you should run all games just fine. Try connecting a regular monitor if you find one to know if that is the problem.

See thats the screwed up part. I've noticed it in games like Diablo 3 and even CSGO. Setting Watchdogs to low graphic settings and still getting lag/FPS drops was the thing that really brought me to this point... I have a feeling it has to do with being hooked up to a TV or even the TV itself. Unfortunately I'm stuck with it for a few more months until I move.  

CSGO should run perfect with your components. Watchdogs has very bad pc optimization so that's a bad example, there has been reports that every 5 secs the game skips 2 frames or something like that.

Does your current motherboard have onboard video? Is your video input connected to the motherboard directly? If so connect your video input to your video card instead.

Does your current motherboard have onboard video? Is your video input connected to the motherboard directly? If so connect your video input to your video card instead.

Q2BmE.gif

Most of them are installed on my secondary drive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" 

My OS and the important ones are on OCZ Agility 4 AGT4-25SAT3-256G 256GB Internal Solid State Drive - 2.5" Form Factor, SATA III, 6Gbps,

have you tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling? Reinstalling your OS? based on the caliber of individual in SG its more likely the software is fucked up than the hardware (no offense of course) 

if not that, then start isolating the issue, use a regular monitor with no adapter, does the problem exist (i dont see this as a likely cause) 

reseat your video card

get an old video card and play something like csgo and see if you get drops, i can play on a 460, 60fps, full-screen with no issues at full graphics. 

if none of those work, uninstall/reinstall drivers

failing that, reload your OS from scratch, not some backup that is already fucked up

post results

have you tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling? Reinstalling your OS? based on the caliber of individual in SG its more likely the software is fucked up than the hardware (no offense of course) 

if not that, then start isolating the issue, use a regular monitor with no adapter, does the problem exist (i dont see this as a likely cause) 

reseat your video card

get an old video card and play something like csgo and see if you get drops, i can play on a 460, 60fps, full-screen with no issues at full graphics. 

if none of those work, uninstall/reinstall drivers

failing that, reload your OS from scratch, not some backup that is already fucked up

post results

I'm thinking about reloading my OS.. the FPS drop wasn't really noticeable on my old 5970. I'll try reinstalling drivers when I get home later for kicks. 

If you want to see if it's the processor, just get the 3dmark demo and run it.

If the physics test is low, then it is the processor, if the other ones are, then it's the graphics card.

If you want to see if it's the processor, just get the 3dmark demo and run it.

If the physics test is low, then it is the processor, if the other ones are, then it's the graphics card.

this is true, but i can't imagine his cpu being a bottleneck in csgo; but valid test either way, could be a bad cpu

is your CPU running a bit to hot?  when was the last time you scanned for viruses? check your task manager see if you have stuff open that doesnt need to be open EX: skype

Update time: After running 3D mark and seeing the huge drop in physics I downloaded a temp monitor and found my culprit:

CgdoZXa.png

The large bolded font was my CPU idle. The underlined temp was my CPU running 3D Mark. No idea why I didn't consider to check my cpu temp before. After chatting with Kyle about it, I bought this monstrosity off amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_z . I finally got to install it last night. End result was this: 

LxcKb54.png

Top temp is idle, bottom temps were achieved playing Battlefield Hardline last night. The difference in gameplay with the three games I tested yesterday was eye opening. Felt like playing on a completely different PC. So for now I guess I'll hold off on upgrading my CPU. Last thing I'm going to do is swap the stock fan that came with the Evo with two of these: http://www.amazon.com/120mm-Performance-120RB-Black-White/dp/B0039825LM/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER - from what i've read they're some of the best performing radiator fans so for 15 bucks i'll test em out. 

Thanks to everyone for their input. Special shout out to Kyle for the Evo recommendation.