Sign in to follow this  
driz

Host upgrade

Everyone, we have finished our "test phase" with the new host. Based on poll results and staff opinion we are pretty happy with the new host. I apologize to those of you who got worse pings. the gains far outweighed those few people though. Primarily the fact that we have been DDoS'd 3x since moving hosts with no one even noticing. the last attack peaked at 915Mbps and we didn't feel it at all. 

That all being said, with the test phase over, there will be some downtime. I have not scheduled that time yet, im waiting for an invoice and some more information. during the downtime, we will be getting a new cpu, the E3-1280-v3 which is the fastest single thread performing cpu there is, and a second 1Gbps link on a separate switch providing us additional bandwidth and some network redundancy. 

the delay will be caused by the HD move. after they set up the new box, i will shut our stuff down (100% of it) they will remove our hard drives (the SSD and the SATA) and install them in our new box. following this, they will put in a USB drive and load ESXi 5.5 on it. Once this is complete, i will reload our VMs into esxi and turn everything on. aside from a few IPs changing (not game IPs) which will be no problem since they are ones we use via dns(such as www.joinsg.net and voice.joinsg.net)  there will be no problems. 

I expect the outage to last less than 8 hours, but we will know more soon. the CPU has a 2 week lead time, so we're trying to get everything in order. I will update this as I get information. thanks everyone. 

Also a big Thank You, to all staff for helping make this transition as seamless as possible, and the community for putting up with the hiccups along the way!

Alright, here's the word from the guys.

we have placed the order, invoice should be generated soon. they will have the whole new box setup with in the 2 week window and then pop the cpu in once it arrives.

they will relocate our USB drive, SSD, and SATA all together, this means NO OS reload and no adding the vms to esxi. they'll already be there.

They have said they can schedule it so we are only down for one hour. 

their support is 24/7 so we can schedule the outage window. Currently i am planning for something around 8am CST during the week.

Please consolidate a list of events through the events manager to let me know if you have events on certain days coming up in the next 2 weeks. I want to try to work around your plans.  i don't want a whole bunch of pms, just one consolidated list please, thanks.