Sign in to follow this  
AntyCrix

New Video Card

So I haven't been able to access Steam lately because my damn video card broke as I was disassembling my computer somehow. I ordered a new video card (with my momma's credit card) which came in today (won't be able to see it until I get home), and I think this might be the one. I have to see whether it not it works when I get home.

I previously had a Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870 HD Series, and here's the new one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605

I hope I researched enough that it will work well with my motherboard (ASRock Xtreme 970??) and CPU (AMD Phenom II or some shit). My friend's old video card didn't work in my system for some reason, it wouldn't power so I'm pretty sure my 620 watt PSU wasn't enough for it. I could be wrong but the card was definitely not working in my setup and was working in his. This new card needs a minimum of a 500 watt PSU, and I'm hopeful that the PCI-E 3.0 interface of the card will work with the PCI-E 2.0 connector I have in my motherboard.

I'm not really that smart with this shit so what I'm really asking here is someone who knows what this all is can assure me that I won't have to keep the box closed and send it back because the card isn't going to work with my current motherboard/psu/cpu or something else. Anyone?

Edited by Boondock

Alright cool, thanks for the confirmation...

This is worth a lot of money and I've been without a computer for a while so I'm still a bit scared to interact with it...

Just touch it tenderly and buy it dinner and it'll come out just fine

Whatever you do, don't get Mexican food. If it gets the shits, you might break the entire board

So basically I'm getting the exact same error that I had with my old video card.. The card powers on but there's no video output. And when I tested an older video card it ran the video perfectly fine. What the fuck is wrong with my computer, someone please help

So basically I'm getting the exact same error that I had with my old video card.. The card powers on but there's no video output. And when I tested an older video card it ran the video perfectly fine. What the fuck is wrong with my computer, someone please help
take pics of inside your case

Maybe you should try the southbridge instead of the northbridge?

idk :|

Tried both

are u plugging into the video card or into the mobo video slot?

lol

take pics of inside your case

Yeah, I'm basically going to give up now, just going to take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

You probably just didn't plug power into the video card

this sounds like it could be the problem.

Also heard that the double fans make that video card very loud. GL HF

You probably just didn't plug power into the video card

this sounds like it could be the problem.

Also heard that the double fans make that video card very loud. GL HF

I have the two PCI-E connectors connected to my PSU and the end of those are plugged into the PSU. The ends have "AB22" on it, don't know what significance that is though. When I didn't have the power plugged in, just to test it earlier, it was running just fine. (The fans weren't really loud at all by the way). 

Are you plugging in those 2 little plugs on the top right of the card

pls

Edited by Boondock

Does anyone know if it has something to do with the connectors not being plugged into the card/PSU properly? I have the card inserted in the motherboard and it's seated just fine. The only other thing that could be fucked up is the motherboard itself or the power supply not properly giving the card power (I think).

Sounds like you has no Anti-Static stuff. You noob.

Why buy AMD :l.

Anyway, have you tried googling your problem? It could be a mobo problem.

Sounds like you has no Anti-Static stuff. You noob.

Why buy AMD :l.

Anyway, have you tried googling your problem? It could be a mobo problem.

This has been going on for over a week and I've tried googling my error a bunch of times. I haven't been able to play CS:GO since last Thursday, I'm literally dying.

This has been going on for over a week and I've tried googling my error a bunch of times. I haven't been able to play CS:GO since last Thursday, I'm literally dying.

And in the meantime, the servers have been enjoying this vacation

And in the meantime, the servers have been enjoying this vacation

I usually don't go on the servers anyway, I'm leaning more toward the competetive side of CS:GO nowadays.

Thanks for the help with fixing my computer though, I really appreciate it.