Sign in to follow this  
Quayle

Help with an audio issue

So I just bought a new monitor, was using a tv before ( bad idea I realized for gaming ). I also have a stereo I use for sound instead of the tv. But now I need to incorporate my monitor into this set-up. It works well and fine just not under one condition and that is when the tv is off. So I'm trying to figure out how I can get sound from my pc will play with the tv off, now the audio is set to come out of HDMI (which is the tv), my computer is run off DVI. But I don't see an option for it. My monitor has a headphone in and line out. Anyone else have this issue who know's how to get it working? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: So I'm thinking I just need to use the line in on my monitor and hook it into my stereo I'm hoping.

Edited by Quayle

SO if I am reading it right you have a GPU running DVI with HDMI conversion. You'll need to provide the OS so i know how to tweak it.

Edit: provided this is windows, you should use the line out or headphone jack for the stereo, go into your sound settings and change it from your video card and set it to your other audio (for example, i set mine to realtek HD audio as default device and default communications device instead of my NVidia.) that should allow it to play despite the TV being off, though the only downside is you will hear a notification when you turn the tv off (basically sounds like you unplugged a flash drive half a second beep tops.).

Edited by DMatakami

So I have a tv mounted on my wall, with a monitor underneath it. I don't use the tv for sound, but just as a source in a way. I also use my tv for my ps4 and watch tv shows on so I'm running a dual monitor but one of them is a tv. Now I also have a stereo system because I didn't like the tv sound. So now I need to incorporate my new monitor into the set up so that if I shut my tv off sound will still come out and vice versa. I don't mind if I have to switch audio outputs through sound control. I'm just having trouble getting the DVI to be recognized as an output.

I am also running Windows 7 64bit

Edit: Just hypothesizing this, but what if I was to use the Monitors Line In to my Headphone Jack on my PC and then use the Line Level Audio Port (blue) on the pc and run wires into my speaker. Or am I misunderstanding what the Line Level Audio Port (blue) is ?

Edited by Quayle

So I have a tv mounted on my wall, with a monitor underneath it. I don't use the tv for sound, but just as a source in a way. I also use my tv for my ps4 and watch tv shows on so I'm running a dual monitor but one of them is a tv. Now I also have a stereo system because I didn't like the tv sound. So now I need to incorporate my new monitor into the set up so that if I shut my tv off sound will still come out and vice versa. I don't mind if I have to switch audio outputs through sound control. I'm just having trouble getting the DVI to be recognized as an output.

I am also running Windows 7 64bit

Edit: Just hypothesizing this, but what if I was to use the Monitors Line In to my Headphone Jack on my PC and then use the Line Level Audio Port (blue) on the pc and run wires into my speaker. Or am I misunderstanding what the Line Level Audio Port (blue) is ?

You could give that a shot but idk if it will achieve what you're looking for. If your stereo has a auxiliary setup (such as mine needing one red and one white input like a DVD player's audio.) you could buy a 3.5mm to RCA Audio cable and hook it up that way via headphone jack or the lime green input on the motherboard.

34qw936.png

That's my layout for the whole thing. I'm having trouble getting the DVI recognized and even then with a direct output into the computer, the speakers are running off my tv really, so I'm trying to get my monitor to go in to the back of my stereo with a "joiner" not to sure what its called when the RCA audio cable has another spot to jack into so you can have multiple inputs on one device. If you need a picture of what I'm talking about let me know.

That's exactly my setup, except I've got a soundcard and headset in the mix. Sucks that your TV doesn't have an audio mode where it automatically blanks the screen and only plays music. xD