Sign in to follow this  
MrCoolness

Looking to purchase a light ultrabook

Hey, was wondering if you guys could help me with a decision.

I want to purchase an ultrabook/laptop/notebook whatever you want to call it, and I'm looking for a good deal. I'm in Canada so make sure to list the prices in CDN so things match up.

What I need is something that's primarily light, has good battery life, and decent processing power (the ideal cpu is an i3-4010U).

I plan to replace the standard hard drive with an SSD to make it even lighter, if you find something with an SSD and a relatively good price that's a big plus as well.

Right now, this is my favorite option:

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/ideapad/u-series/u430p/

what puts me off about it is:

1) Price, could be a little cheaper methinks...

2) Glossy screen (hate that glare)

3) Read that network card is a bit spotty (help me out on this one mighty driz)

3.5) Keyboard doesn't look like it's the best (this one is just a speculation).

*** this is going to be a mobile work station, I don't need a beefy GPU I just need it to handle my multi-tasking and for it not to strain my back.

So if you guys can find something on par for a better price, or something better for relatively the same price (preferably lower I'm trying not to go up higher) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks ahead of time!

I recently picked up a lenovo ultrabook. Couldn't be happier. I ended up customizing it a bit. I popped in an i7, 8gb and an ssd. This thing gets shit done. Couldn't be happier. I reccomend lenovo if your looking for an ultrabook. Your choice looks pretty solid for general work and programming. Keep in mind you can chat to support or salesman directly on there website. I customized mine with a sales associate and got a few discounts. I've done quite a bit of research about ultrabooks before picking this one up. From what I've learned, I believe Lenovo is one of the top ultrabook manufacturers. However, this is just my opinion. 

I recently picked up a lenovo ultrabook. Couldn't be happier. I ended up customizing it a bit. I popped in an i7, 8gb and an ssd. This thing gets shit done. Couldn't be happier. I reccomend lenovo if your looking for an ultrabook. Your choice looks pretty solid for general work and programming. Keep in mind you can chat to support or salesman directly on there website. I customized mine with a sales associate and got a few discounts. I've done quite a bit of research about ultrabooks before picking this one up. From what I've learned, I believe Lenovo is one of the top ultrabook manufacturers. However, this is just my opinion. 

Thanks man I appreciate the input, and judging by the views and the little responses I think I've stumbled upon a good choice as well. I tried to talk to the customer support about some customization but they say its absolutely out of their hands to customize it, that I must order it then send it into their depot to get it customized which seems bizarre and as well as it seems expensive, something I would rather just do myself. Couldn't get any discounts either :-( driz plz help 

so i clicked this because on the recent posts it said "

Looking to purchase a light

and in my head this meant

Looking to purchase a lightsaber

and i thought wtf lets read this :D

dissapointment now :(

so i clicked this because on the recent posts it said "

Looking to purchase a light

and in my head this meant

Looking to purchase a lightsaber

and i thought wtf lets read this :D

dissapointment now :(

10/10 suggestion for laptop.

You could download something similar to teamviewer, get a cheap tablet with a magnetic keyboard and just work on your PC over 4G and/or wifi :D

Edited by Destin