Sign in to follow this  
ElectronicDrug

I tried to play war3 again

To tell the truth, if I had started playing Warcraft before competitive CS:GO I'd probably be playing Warcraft all the time.

I don't like Warcraft. 

problem is I don't really know what to do. I figured I could just play normally and pick it up as I go along but instead I just get raped by shit I don't understand.

You really won't have too much fun until you get some levels on a race. Then it becomes easier to get kills and make it seem like "fair" competition. Find a race you enjoy and just try to level it up. OR GIVE YOURSELF LEVELS.

problem is I don't really know what to do. I figured I could just play normally and pick it up as I go along but instead I just get raped by shit I don't understand.

war3help, also type raceinfo to find out more about races and what they do and skillsinfo for info on your current race's skills. You're still shooting bad guys, there's just a lot more going on with people flying around and stuff. There's just a lot to take in at once, but if you play for a few hours you will get the hang of it. Run away from the zombie looking thing / anyone that is colored and holding a knife out. Also, watch out for nades (crit nades can insta kill you) and sometimes people will blow up on death, or use abilities through walls (chain lightning, entangling roots).

Edit: I liked to play undead when I started out on warcraft 3 mod back in 1.5/1.6, pretty straight forward, no need for binds, move fast, jump high, get hp back when you do damage, blow up on death.

Edited by Jiyeon

protip, war3 makes you really bad at this game

Not necessarily. I would argue it overtrains me for comp and I notice after a 1 hour session in wcs, I do so much better in comp because everything in wcs is exaggerated.

For example, my aim. In wcs, you have people with 1.3 speed and an ak47 peeking at you. Trying to get a headshot on people this fast is quite hard especially if it's constant lateral movement ( Spamming A and D with a p90). Then, when I get into comp, it's like my mind sees normal 1.0 speed as extremely slow and it suddenly becomes easy to pick up headshots.

Maybe Josh plays a different style that gets him killed constantly. I find that a defensive, reserved, and positional style of gameplay suits me best in wcs and in comp. 

Edited by HornyCat

much like with dota, you need to learn what all the heroes / items do in order to get a full sense of any given scenario in war3. you will stumble until that point, but maxing one of the original races (elf, human, orc, undead) will make it much easier to get a grasp of things before that happens

Surf makes you really bad at Csgo.

You get used to hopping around with long jump and more oh and this and that and it's so fucking different from comp

(But way better)

Not necessarily. I would argue it overtrains me for comp and I notice after a 1 hour session in wcs, I do so much better in comp because everything in wcs is exaggerated.

For example, my aim. In wcs, you have people with 1.3 speed and an ak47 peeking at you. Trying to get a headshot on people this fast is quite hard especially if it's constant lateral movement ( Spamming A and D with a p90). Then, when I get into comp, it's like my mind sees normal 1.0 speed as extremely slow and it suddenly becomes easy to pick up headshots.

Maybe Josh plays a different style that gets him killed constantly. I find that a defensive, reserved, and positional style of gameplay suits me best in wcs and in comp. 

The only aspect that wcs makes me better at the game is rushing with an awp. Quick/noscopes are brutal if done correctly, and I never fail to amaze teammates in comp when I awp rush when normally in comp you're supposed to play defensively with an awp.

In general though, wcs will make you worse at the game. Many races have over 100 health, some hit 200 easily. With armor, normally you'd need to score 1-2 headshots to kill someone with 100 health. Double that and that equals 2-4 headshots. Not only that, many races (and claws of atk) give bonus damage. These two facts combined mean you want to put as many bullets in your opponent as possible so while you do aim for headshots, the majority of the time you're gonna wanna spray while aiming at the guy's feet: yielding chest shots. Ideally you wanna get as many headshots in with the spray, but aiming is hard.

just play orcish horde and save money to buy a respawn in case your respawn didn't proc. Most of the time that gets you 3 lives a round (which is more than enough lives to have fun!)

protip, !respawn_spawn