Sign in to follow this  
DrKhanMD

Yamaha SRX600 Project Rebuild

I'm redoing quite a bit of work on my 1986 Yamaha SRX600, I had lowsided it earlier in the year and damaged some stuff, it also lead to some breaks in the electrical. This is the journey so far with trying to get it back on the road.

This is just me starting the strip the tank, I couldn't use paint stripper for most of it as the previous owner sanded down the original paint, but didn't remove it. Decided to "paint" an entire layer of bondo, then put the new paint on top of that. Removing most of it with a paint stripping wheel on an angle grinder, then I have plans to hit it with a sand blaster to get the hard to reach areas. Many more images for the stator/pickup coil rebuild, gas tank cap & petcock rebuild.

993547_10201257722020479_1050773287_n.jp

Update:

Still working on stripping the paint on the tank, been too lazy to get to the underside, which I'm going to have to get at with a sand blaster.

Removed the stator cover to diagnose the no spark issue, seems to be a bad pickup coil, also seems as though maybe one of the coils is shorted/fried as there is some blackening to the insulation on one of the posts. In tracking down the no spark gremlin I've redone almost all the insulation and shrink wrapping on the wiring harness. New spark plug, and ignition coil installed. Also took the time to replace the fuel lines and filters since the old filters were starting to leak onto my garage floor.

Now to track down a replacement pickup coil......

RSL3kWd.jpg

Edited by DrKhanMD