Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Coconut :3

Anyone play lacross?

Yea I would probably play either attack or middie. If you want to play D then definitely consider lifting and gaining a lot more weight. Also make sure you can run fast and that you have the endurance to keep up, its a fast game. Also make sure you practice throwing and catching like every single day, it makes a huge difference. 

Its a fun game though, you should give it a shot. I play for my HS team.

Edited by sgt. fabulous

Your 6' 2" and you weigh only 160 pounds... Think about eating a sandwich

5'11", 115 lbs.

fight me.

Never personally played, but it's somewhat popular in my area which has a lot of posh private schools that are into it. It's a fun sport it seems.

Edited by TurtleFrenzy

5'11", 115 lbs.

fight me.

Never personally played, but it's somewhat popular in my area which has a lot of posh private schools that are into it. It's a fun sport it seems.

you looked pretty small in that picture though..

*wink*

Your 6' 2" and you weigh only 160 pounds... Think about eating a sandwich

5'11", 115 lbs.

fight me.

I was going to reply saying I'm 6' 136 lbs but Turtles got me beat, wtf dude.

OT: Great friend of mine played lax all the way through High school, he played goalie and would always have huge ass welts on his legs, they look pretty nasty.

By the way, it's Lacrosse not 'lacross'

Edited by Xlite

I was going to reply saying I'm 6' 136 lbs but Turtles got me beat, wtf dude.

been in and out of the hospital past 6 months, can't manage to stomach down anything more than ~1000 cals a day.

Lost 45 lbs since december of last year.

Edited by TurtleFrenzy

been in and out of the hospital past 6 months, can't manage to stomach down anything more than ~1000 cals a day.

Lost 45 lbs since december of last year.

That's not healthy at all mang, like I eat above what I should but I never put on weight, I can't imagine being any thinner than I am currently.

First of all, don't play goalie unless you can train yourself to not feel pain. It's not going to be like a punch to the stomach, it's going to be like getting hit with a MLB pitch time and time again. If you can eat it and think fast not just on your feet but reflexively, then you could play it. I know a few that have gone D1 and Jesus Christ those guys would be willing to get hit by a truck if asked to.

Just need you to answer some stuff quick.

How old are you?

Have you ever done a 40 yard dash? If so, what was your time?

Is it possible you can train and build muscle with a trainer or someone on the team? Most teams are doing conditioning at the moment, although since you're in Florida you should be based off my schedule as well instead of the Northeast's.

Do you play any other varsity sports?

Is this a new program at your school or has it been around for a while? If it's been around for a while, is your school's team good or bad?(winning/losing record)

Do you run on a regular basis or would you need to condition for that.

Depending on your coach I would start middie until they figure out where to put you. This is because midfield will get you playing time and teach you both the basics of offense and defense. Teams often run lines(sets) of 3 and swap them out. Defense and Attack will be mainly a core set of three players and will rarely be subbed. If you play Attack or D you're probably not getting a sub as a starter and as a new player that's a designated sub for that position, chances are you won't get any playing time.. I'm not sure if you're team runs LSM like mine does(Position I play) but it varies by coach. You're also going to have very good stick skills in both positions. Attack requires vision, dodging ability, acceleration, footwork, stick skills etc whereas defense requires a ton of technique, finesse with checks, strength, footwork, etc. LSM is Longstick Middie, it will rely more on overall skills from both sides and often times you'll be asked to lockdown their best midfielder one on one as well as handle clears and groundballs from the faceoff. If you want to be good in either you're going to need to practice quite a bit, Lacrosse is arguably the toughest of sports to not only get down but also be in shape for.

Edited by Oreo

6'2 180 lbs, played 3 years but just houseleague late gradeschool (basketball is my main), one of my highlights was crosschecking a little kid who was two years younger so hard he fell back and his helmet slammed into boards. He started crying and his dad got up screaming at me saying I'd hurt someone, gg was clean hit tho

Probably attack/mid IMO a lot of my friends play, I'd try and bulk a bit if i were you.... 

6'2 180 lbs, played 3 years but just houseleague late gradeschool (basketball is my main), one of my highlights was crosschecking a little kid who was two years younger so hard he fell back and his helmet slammed into boards. He started crying and his dad got up screaming at me saying I'd hurt someone, gg was clean hit tho

I love box, the stuff you can pull off in there is ridiculous. Hits, ridiculously warped/illegal sticks, etc.

K most likely i'd be attacker/middie,

How old are you?  18

Have you ever done a 40 yard dash? If so, what was your time?  No

Is it possible you can train and build muscle with a trainer or someone on the team? Most teams are doing conditioning at the moment, although since you're in Florida you should be based off my schedule as well instead of the Northeast's. Yes, I have protein shakes at my house and I work out with my brother because he's joining the airforce, also conditioning for my schools lacrosse is starting within the next 2 weeks i've heard.

Do you play any other varsity sports? I didn't do any sports for my school except for freshmen year when I was on football, though I still play pickup basketball/football with friends and in gym and shit.

Is this a new program at your school or has it been around for a while? If it's been around for a while, is your school's team good or bad?(winning/losing record) My school is 4 years old this year and I'd be the first graduating class to go all four years at school. (freshman year to senior year)

Do you run on a regular basis or would you need to condition for that. I run regularly with my brother because as I stated we are training together, the other day we ran for 30 minute straight I don't know the distance we did but it was quite long, estimated about 5-6 miles idk.

K most likely i'd be attacker/middie,

How old are you?  18

Have you ever done a 40 yard dash? If so, what was your time?  No

Is it possible you can train and build muscle with a trainer or someone on the team? Most teams are doing conditioning at the moment, although since you're in Florida you should be based off my schedule as well instead of the Northeast's. Yes, I have protein shakes at my house and I work out with my brother because he's joining the airforce, also conditioning for my schools lacrosse is starting within the next 2 weeks i've heard.

Do you play any other varsity sports? I didn't do any sports for my school except for freshmen year when I was on football, though I still play pickup basketball/football with friends and in gym and shit.

Is this a new program at your school or has it been around for a while? If it's been around for a while, is your school's team good or bad?(winning/losing record) My school is 4 years old this year and I'd be the first graduating class to go all four years at school. (freshman year to senior year)

Do you run on a regular basis or would you need to condition for that. I run regularly with my brother because as I stated we are training together, the other day we ran for 30 minute straight I don't know the distance we did but it was quite long, estimated about 5-6 miles idk.

Yeah, due to the age you're best going middie. Defense takes a ton of time learning how to close the gate, positioning, footwork, etc and attack will require stick skills you can't develop in that short time frame. If you were younger then i'd probably suggest defense, depending on your traits and build. I can't necessarily teach you how to play since i'm not in person but i'll try to explain most of the stuff. I do want to stress this though, DO NOT buy a prestrung stick. If you buy a prestrung stick then go to a lacrosse specialty store and have them string you a low pocket with hard mesh.

The first thing you're going to want to focus on is cradling. Theres two types for shortsticks, one handed and two handed. This is a decent video I found of explaining it well.

Now, you don't want to do it too fast or too slow. It really depends on the pace you're moving at. A low pocket will give you great hold(ability to keep the ball in the stick) and will also help you cradle one handed as well.

Throwing;

Catching;

You basically want to use your arm as a lever, the bottom hand will pull down and the top hand will follow through and guide. Always have your elbow up at the start of throwing. The kids form is fine, so just focus on emulating it.

When it comes to catching it, you don't want to snap at it(IE, push your stick towards it and cradle in midair). You want to let it go into the pocket and cushion it. You shouldn't need to cradle the pass, just handle it like an egg.

To help, find a wall and basically do this;

50 right handed

50 left handed

50 one handed right top handed

50 on handed left top handed

50 one handed right bottom handed

50 one handed left bottom handed

50 switching hands

Dodging

Dodging is going to be key, but as a midfielder you'll more than likely want to dodge ISO(isolated). If you understood sliding, then it would be much easier to explain this to you. First of all, here is a map of the field;

Lacrosse---mens.gif

First of all, let me explain to the the field. On the left it says, "defensive area". For both sides, that box on the left and right is called "The box". This is where most of the action will take place. The two small rectangles on the top and bottom of the box are called the alleys, they're mainly for spreading the defense and getting wide or simply backing off. Defenders shouldn't follow you out that far and if they do, you're in a prime position to beat your man and force the slide. Lacrosse is a game of numbers. Forcing 6v5's, 5v4's, 3v2,'s, etc are imperative to the game. This opens it up to moving the ball. Here's an example of that;

The middle area is where faceoffs will take place. One person for each team will be on each side lined up on the line(anywhere on the line, it's not a specific spot so long as they're on it) and when the whistle is called, the two in the middle will begin fighting for the ball. The wingmen will try and get in front of you with whatever part of their body and recover the ball before you. It's imperative that you play the wing smart, if you're behind and losing the faceoff/groundball game, then you're going to want to line up closer to your side and get in the hole. That video I showed you earlier was of a fastbreak from the opposite teams box. This can happen all the time and teams that can execute this can easily score time and time again on the opposition. If the wingmen don't get back in time it can force a fast break and usually if a team moves the ball efficiently and fast then they're going to score like so;

Fast breaks can either be organized or disorganized as well;

Now there are two dodges you're going to want to focus on at the start. Split dodging;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-s6knOQKUM

Note: You have the height to swim dodge on smaller kids but DON'T. It's a risky move, especially if you're a new player and don't understand how to utilize it well at all. It's more show than anything.

Some general stuff on dodging from midfield

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POm_co-TLrY

Shooting

You're probably seeing a few shots from the side but please, don't shoot it sidearm for now. If you're going to shoot on the run then you're better off doing a jump shot(at a angle) or simply overhand if you're coming head on like so;

Jumpshot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2uRxedaDSo

Overhand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo43FZ8xPrA

If you have two goals, you can also do this to train your overhand shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3PwzjhOW_c

Someone feeding you the ball is great practice as well as it WILL happen all the time in the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk-i3LUyh9Y

You want to keep your arms high and away and utilize it. If you keep them close, then you're t-rexxing and not only do you look like an idiot but you also lose a large amount of power and accuracy in your shot.

Defense

As a shortstick, you're not going to want to focus on checks, what you're going to want to do is get your hips and body in front of them and essentially push on their hips like so;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8W109ApIOcM

You'll see the guy checking with his stick a bit, but to be honest don't. As a shortstick if you check then you're putting yourself in a position where you'll be a bit off balance. Any decent attackman will look to cut or roll on you in that situation and get ahead, just focus on playing body and pushing them out as they drive into you. Theres stuff like double teams as well but I really feel you'll be better off learning sliding in person than on the internet. Here's some defensive  and offensive play of both shortsticks and longpoles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7gdgz0ZBic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28Hho5BMd8

I do want to say this as I forgot to during the rest of the post, if you dodge on a shortstick you can be close when you dodge. if you dodge on a longpole then they're going to have a good five to six feet ahead of you for poke, slap and lift checks. You want to dodge early and put your body in front of them and the stick. You're also going to be hit a ton on the bottom hand, so you need to hold it close and make sure your hand doesn't falter. Any smart pole will focus on your hands and don't freak out as they do so because that's usually when inexperienced people will rush and drop the ball.

Awesome videos, I watched them all and i'll be practicing starting in a week I am still running though, I understand most of the stances because I was a defensive back on football and I understand zone coverage like while on defense. The thing I believe I would most likely have to work on is throwing accurately and getting better at cradling, I know basics of it because friends and watching, I was watching some videos yesterday and I saw that some of the attackers would go behind the goal jump over the crease and score like a dunk sorta like basketball, is that only allowed in MLL or not allowed in our divisions or just rather unused.

Edited by Coco

Awesome videos, I watched them all and i'll be practicing starting in a week I am still running though, I understand most of the stances because I was a defensive back on football and I understand zone coverage like while on defense. The thing I believe I would most likely have to work on is throwing accurately and getting better at cradling, I know basics of it because friends and watching, I was watching some videos yesterday and I saw that some of the attackers would go behind the goal jump over the crease and score like a dunk sorta like basketball, is that only allowed in MLL or not allowed in our divisions or just rather unused.

Good, DB experience should definitely help. However, if you're on defense you should really never run a zone. Majority of the top highschool and 99% of NCAA teams run a man scheme most of the time due to zone being difficult to play well with time and room shooters. The only zone i've really seen that's worked well was UVA back in 2011, but they had to resort to that due to issues with their own players. So long as they go over hedging picks and playing angles(above x, behind x, alleyway dodging/shooting, lifting their bottom hand on shots, etc) you should be fine.

For the red part; yeah, that's not allowed in high school nor in NCAA/MCLA play. It was a move the Gait brothers did back in the 90's when they played at Syracuse and it got banned. You shouldn't be really ever using it either, it was more of a flashy move and they do it in the MLL because the MLL is really just a show. You can however score like this;

but you can't "dive" into the crease. He basically masks it look like a push from the defender and a lot of smart attackmen know how to do it well. The rules are skewed towards the offense right now as it's hard to tell if they fell into the crease or if they were pushed. Gotta edit this in though, that was more a dive outside of the crease line than what i'm trying to get to.

Disregard his foot and that it's against the scorer. Most guys will rollback and essentially begin falling towards the crease to dump it in the goal as he did here. As a longpole, the first reaction is going to try and push them back so they lose what little angle they have on the shot. However, if we touch them then that crease violation is turned against us as we "pushed" them into the crease. That's the diving that's not allowed but it's allowed if we "push" the scorer.

Edited by Oreo