Sign in to follow this  
Jiyeon

Mic audio levels keep resetting to 100% in system settings

Can anyone help me with this? I have it normally set to 50% and it keeps resetting to 100% making my mic in cs and other applications too loud for others to hear anything I say without static and ear bleeding. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Volvo is upset you haven't appeased the Dota gods lately.

I would think it's a registry error. You could try rolling back/reinstalling your driver for the microphone.

Edited by Oreo

a program is likely to be manipulating your levels. Skype is known to do this, as well as CSGO when a new loads.

try to narrow down when your levels drop/increase/change, this will help determine whether or not it is a program or something bugged in your windows settings.

a program is likely to be manipulating your levels. Skype is known to do this, as well as CSGO when a new loads.

try to narrow down when your levels drop/increase/change, this will help determine whether or not it is a program or something bugged in your windows settings.

Well.. I only play csgo and dota and only use mumble/ts3. So far it seems to have been okay after uninstalling and reinstalling the device (played csgo and dota and used mumble today). Will update if I find it resets again.

So my system settings stay the same now, but in csgo when i go to mic settings, it keeps getting reset to 100% when I usually pull the slider to half. Is there any way to change that? Like a console cmd I could add to my autoexec?

double post yolo

Edited by Jiyeon

I don't know if the problem is fixed yet. But you might want to go sound settings, and under the communication tab if you have one; Check 'Do nothing'. Or search "when windows detects communications activity" on Google to see where you can find the settings to change that.

I'm pretty sure that's causing the problem.

I don't know if the problem is fixed yet. But you might want to go sound settings, and under the communication tab if you have one; Check 'Do nothing'. Or search "when windows detects communications activity" on Google to see where you can find the settings to change that.

I'm pretty sure that's causing the problem.

Nah, that's been checked since the beginning of time. That setting effects skype or w/e 'voice chat' programs and turns down the audio of the everything else on your computer (games, videos, music, etc) so that you only hear skype.

So my system settings stay the same now, but in csgo when i go to mic settings, it keeps getting reset to 100% when I usually pull the slider to half. Is there any way to change that? Like a console cmd I could add to my autoexec?

double post yolo

This is probably an issue with Steam on your end. Clean your cache (run a CCleaner scan and blah blah blah). I'm not sure if it is the case with Steam, but I'm aware of a few applications—such as software for specific audio peripherals (e.g. USB PnP Software (which is kind of generic software), or Logitech LCore) which control your Windows audio configuration directly, instead of acting as a post- or pre-amplifier. Although I've never noticed in the past, Steam may act similarly. If this is the case, then the microphone settings being reset sounds either like an issue with cache storage, or your Steam client isn't closing correctly.

Sooo, here come the questions:

-- Have you closed Steam correctly every time? If not, consider changing your microphone settings within Steam (it's under Settings; It doesn't need to be accessed in-game), then close Steam correctly (not forced, not ending the process, etc).

-- Has your system been forcibly closed every time you change the settings? That is to say, in the session of gaming which you changed the settings, when you finally shut off your system, is it a proper shut down, or a forced shut down? If it is the latter, consider doing the same as the previous suggestion, only by cold-booting your computer in the end.

Let me know if any of this helps.

This is probably an issue with Steam on your end. Clean your cache (run a CCleaner scan and blah blah blah). I'm not sure if it is the case with Steam, but I'm aware of a few applications—such as software for specific audio peripherals (e.g. USB PnP Software (which is kind of generic software), or Logitech LCore) which control your Windows audio configuration directly, instead of acting as a post- or pre-amplifier. Although I've never noticed in the past, Steam may act similarly. If this is the case, then the microphone settings being reset sounds either like an issue with cache storage, or your Steam client isn't closing correctly.

Sooo, here come the questions:

-- Have you closed Steam correctly every time? If not, consider changing your microphone settings within Steam (it's under Settings; It doesn't need to be accessed in-game), then close Steam correctly (not forced, not ending the process, etc).

-- Has your system been forcibly closed every time you change the settings? That is to say, in the session of gaming which you changed the settings, when you finally shut off your system, is it a proper shut down, or a forced shut down? If it is the latter, consider doing the same as the previous suggestion, only by cold-booting your computer in the end.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Okay, so I tried this stuff, it seems that the steam mic settings are directly related to my system settings. My volume did reset when I was playing csgo again, but im not sure what the deal was. I had changed it in steam settings and then closed and restarted steam. Also, no, steam nor my pc have not been force shutdown. I ran CCleaner as well. The setting reset seemed random as I played today and it was fine, then i played again and it was reset.

Okay, so I tried this stuff, it seems that the steam mic settings are directly related to my system settings. My volume did reset when I was playing csgo again, but im not sure what the deal was. I had changed it in steam settings and then closed and restarted steam. Also, no, steam nor my pc have not been force shutdown. I ran CCleaner as well. The setting reset seemed random as I played today and it was fine, then i played again and it was reset.

So, the only other thing I can think of is this:

A8sZ1ak.png

First off, make sure that Exclusive Mode setting is unticked.

Now, in a random search, I found something that synergizes with the setting I just made note of, thanks to this found post. I tested it, and it has worked for me, although I haven't had the issue you presented.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=32769&p=194785&viewfull=1#post194785

As an added precaution, after following the instructions in that post, you might want to add +exec autoexec.cfg into the launch options of DOTA2 and CS:GO. 

Example (You can ignore every other console command I have in my launch options if you so choose):

rcuYE6S.png

Hope this works out for you.

EDIT: I pressed CTRL+2 and the new zoom level fucked up the post, heh.

Edited by camelFun

BTW, double post/necro, the voice_mixer_volume fix worked perfectly. Thanks for the find camelFun.

Tristan, if you're still having the same issue, try this out.

Thanks for the update. I recently got the same issue on DOTA 2. This fix helped quite a bit haha. I still have no idea how it happens, though.

Glad it helped.