Sign in to follow this  
driz

UEFI & USB

Has anyone made a usb with files over 4G boot on a UEFI system?  im thinking of a couple possibilities but i dont know how plausible they are

--------------

fat32 boot partition on thumb drive

exFAT/ext3/4 for the large files

--------------

using dd to put the iso on the thumb drive maybe cause bios boot mode due to lack of efi boot instructions?

--------------

boot from cd but point to usb for installer?? 

--------------

put a pxe server on something with the files and install over network

---------------

any thoughts on this or different ideas? 

are you using legit windows or not legit windows with DAZ windows7 loader?

i recommend using FAT32 partition on a thumbdrive, and boot from there if you're using a legit version of windows.

i dont use windows, the os isn't really relative to the discussion either though... the same issue would exist if your .wim was over 4G that im running into 

what i ended up doing until i find the right way or UEFI is patched to support booting from more filesystems. i partitioned the thumb drive with a boot vfat (fat32) and an ext4. I put the EFI on the fat32 (250MB) and the image itself on the ext4 partition and pointed grub to it. this will let uefi boot the efi portion and grub will pick up and load the rest without the filesize limitation. That being said, i do not believe you can easily format a thumb drive like this in windows as you'll only see the first partition of a "removable device" so if you need to do this in windows, look up how to override the "removable" bit (it would look like those 1TB wd usb drives where there's no "safely remove" button, then windows can do it.