Sign in to follow this  
Master Chadron

Archmage camping clarification needed

It's been made clear that using the Archmage to camp areas with transparent textures to gain an unfair advantage are not allowed, such as:

RQsFbFb.jpg

Or:

EN8Edxv.jpg

But what about hiding in areas that are very obscure but strategic, without clipping through textures or seeing through the geometry?

xTwLrI1.jpg

JL74BaA.jpg

And what about areas that allow you to only see through textures outside of the map, giving no advantage through the geometry?

TzsHq18.jpg

8XxYRWt.jpg

I've gotten mixed answers from different admins as to whether the above areas are allowed or not, so I thought I'd make a thread and get a concrete answer.

Edited by Master Chadron

The rules used to be specific on the original warcraft server's MOTD and that was seeing through any textures at all was not allowed, or being outside of the map was not allowed (or both).  The MOTD pretty much said any untextured area visible = get back in an area where you can't see that.  The problem, though, is that these maps weren't made with warcraft mod in mind.. so there needs to be some leniency here.

I'd say the majority of the pics you have up are totally legal spots.  First 2 def illegal and 2nd last is illegal for sure.  The others are debatable but I would say they are FINE for use.

Edited by XIII

The rule as far as I knew it was this:

"If you are somewhere where you can see through textures that gives you an advantage over other players, then you are not allowed to be there"

de_dust screenshot(first one): That is fine, provided you aren't going in the actual walls. You can fly around up there, just don't land on any of the textures, since you'd be inside the wall at that point.
Aztec: That seems fine, nothing wrong with that spot to me.

Dust (2nd): Seems fine as well, but if you go to your left, you are seeing into the tunnel and that would cause an issue. Therefore don't be there.

Italy: As per wcs, you can't be on any of the rooftops themselves, but can be on the edge of that specific one I believe. Italy is a bitch though, since most of the map is untextured. Basically don't land on anything except for above apartments, since thats really the only area that one can get to that is normally inaccessible but still textured.

As what coolness said, if you can see through a texture, its generally a bad idea to camp there.

Edited by Spell

I'm of a mind to say that seeing through a significant portion of ANY texture is a no-go. There's a ton of rooftops on Italy near T-spawn where it's next to impossible to see a human/tatsu/etc on. Status quo from WCS1 should be kept.

In WCS1, the spot you posted for de_dust would have been illegal, much like being on top of the silos on militia or being in the weird sunroof/tree part down that long hall in italy.

The rule was essentially if it was some irregular part of the map or something like that. The reason for the silos was because people would camp up there with awps and no one could see/hear where they were getting shot from. I'm not sure why the spot in italy was illegal, but I assume because it's just really gay and the spot in de_dust is similar to that one. Idk what the rules are now, up to the devs/staff to decide I guess.

Edited by Jiyeon

ITT: Tristan and Ghost get shit on because they slayed or kicked Chadron anytime he stayed in the spot in the pic below and killed them.

xTwLrI1.jpg

What? This never happened.

Edited by Tristan.