Sign in to follow this  
Mitch

why humanity

Guest Fohacidal

You can treat mental health disorders, as far as I know you can't cure them as of right now nor do i ever expect to be able to do that, due to the fact that the brain's development is a key part of it. We can't just rewrite a brain and turn it into what we know as a normal, healthy one. An overhaul in our mental healthcare system would not prevent them from having a "Do not sell to" tag on them, but would rather attach one to them while also helping them deal with the disorder itself. It's free will to take medicine, just because they're taking it doesn't mean they couldn't go off it at any point.

I was responding to GT saying healthcare isnt the solution, I never said its the be all end all of mental disorders and disabilities. He is arguing on the premise that the venue isnt entirely effective, that is far from the truth, the problem with healthcare is its accessibility.

You can treat mental health disorders, as far as I know you can't cure them as of right now nor do i ever expect to be able to do that, due to the fact that the brain's development is a key part of it. We can't just rewrite a brain and turn it into what we know as a normal, healthy one. An overhaul in our mental healthcare system would not prevent them from having a "Do not sell to" tag on them, but would rather attach one to them while also helping them deal with the disorder itself. It's free will to take medicine, just because they're taking it doesn't mean they couldn't go off it at any point.

I was responding to GT saying healthcare isnt the solution, I never said its the be all end all of mental disorders and disabilities. He is arguing on the premise that the venue isnt entirely effective, that is far from the truth, the problem with healthcare is its accessibility.

Ahh, my mistake then, I misread that.

These sorts of crimes are generally perpetrated by middle class young men, usually Caucasians Stop pretending like if gun ownership were driven into a black market that they would have unchecked access to this black market. Not only is access to the market itself an issue, so is price. Supply plummets, demand goes up, the price will skyrocket. The availability of these weapons will be severely limited, not just for troubled teens but also for street criminals. As for the "criminalize guns and only criminals will have them" argument, this suddenly means we can better persecute people for the illegal possession of deadly weapons before a violent crime is even committed. Weapons effective for sport and home defense can still be legally owned by law abiding citizens.

And again, stop claiming I don't think improving the quality of mental healthcare is a solution. It's simply not an absolute fix and needs to be addressed in addition to other issues.

Guest Fohacidal

These sorts of crimes are generally perpetrated by middle class young men, usually Caucasians Stop pretending like if gun ownership were driven into a black market that they would have unchecked access to this black market. Not only is access to the market itself an issue, so is price. Supply plummets, demand goes up, the price will skyrocket. The availability of these weapons will be severely limited, not just for troubled teens but also for street criminals. As for the "criminalize guns and only criminals will have them" argument, this suddenly means we can better persecute people for the illegal possession of deadly weapons before a violent crime is even committed. Weapons effective for sport and home defense can still be legally owned by law abiding citizens.

And again, stop claiming I don't think improving the quality of mental healthcare is a solution. It's simply not an absolute fix and needs to be addressed in addition to other issues.

You are incredibly naive if you believe regulating weapons even more somehow means its going to get harder to get weapons illegally. Do I seriously have to cite yet AGAIN the complications that arose thanks to prohibition and the war on drugs? A lot of good those gun laws are doing in states that enforce them strictly.

You are incredibly naive if you believe regulating weapons even more somehow means its going to get harder to get weapons illegally. Do I seriously have to cite yet AGAIN the complications that arose thanks to prohibition and the war on drugs? A lot of good those gun laws are doing in states that enforce them strictly.

Texas has some pretty damn lax gun regulations... when was the last time you heard of this type of incident? I mean shootings happen in Texas, but nothing like this or columbine.

Guest Fohacidal

Texas has some pretty damn lax gun regulations... when was the last time you heard of this type of incident? I mean shootings happen in Texas, but nothing like this or columbine.

I can actually think of two others, and both were military related.

To add onto this, we're forgetting the sniper guy in the 60's at UT, but that's probably too far back to really count with new laws and whatnot over the years.

The ironic thing about this is, it takes a giant shooting to occur for people to actually get riled up. Some old man could get shot down the street from you and you wouldn't care, but the second we hear it's 20+ schoolkids and teachers we immediately flip the fuck out on the issue. I mean, out of 300,000,000 people in the U.S., you're bound to have someone commit a crime of this nature every once in a while. It's always going to happen because people have the freedom and free will to do it, if someone wants a gun they're going to get one and if someone wants to shoot up some kindergarteners, they're going to do it. 3/4's of all guns used in the past 100 or so types of these shooting events, have been illegally obtained. He tried to purchase a gun and he refused to take a background check, more then likely because they wouldn't sell it to him with his medical issues. The 10 most violent states when it comes to homicide by guns are also some of the strictest in the country. Human decisions are what play a part in it, not the availibility of a gun. Legality of firearms isn't the issue and Foh is correct, cracking down on them will just be a waste of time and manpower. Instead we should focus on preventing them by actually helping the people who commit these crimes with their issues and problems so it never happens in the first place.

Edited by Oreo

Ft Hood ring a bell?

These sorts of crimes are generally perpetrated by middle class young men, usually Caucasians

[Citation Needed] So middle class white people shouldn't have gun rights?

Stop pretending like if gun ownership were driven into a black market that they would have unchecked access to this black market.

What.

Not only is access to the market itself an issue, so is price. Supply plummets, demand goes up, the price will skyrocket.

People with a death wish won't give a fuck.

As for the "criminalize guns and only criminals will have them" argument, this suddenly means we can better persecute people for the illegal possession of deadly weapons before a violent crime is even committed.

Do you mean prosecute?

Weapons effective for sport and home defense can still be legally owned by law abiding citizens.

Okay good, I was worried for a second I wouldn't be able to go shoot my law abiding neighbors before they shoot me.

Edited by Fate

Ft Hood ring a bell?

I don't consider the Ft. Hood shooting to be similar to a school shooting. I probably should have worded my thing better.

Besides, Ft. Hood would be a poor example to use in terms of discussing gun regulations.

Edited by fatb0y

Ft Hood ring a bell?

That's such a horrible example. Completely different circumstances than any other mass shooting.

Edited by ElectronicDrug

To add onto this, we're forgetting the sniper guy in the 60's at UT, but that's probably too far back to really count with new laws and whatnot over the years.

The ironic thing about this is, it takes a giant shooting to occur for people to actually get riled up. Some old man could get shot down the street from you and you wouldn't care, but the second we hear it's 20+ schoolkids and teachers we immediately flip the fuck out on the issue. I mean, out of 300,000,000 people in the U.S., you're bound to have someone commit a crime of this nature every once in a while. It's always going to happen because people have the freedom and free will to do it, if someone wants a gun they're going to get one and if someone wants to shoot up some kindergarteners, they're going to do it. 3/4's of all guns used in the past 100 or so types of these shooting events, have been illegally obtained. He tried to purchase a gun and he refused to take a background check, more then likely because they wouldn't sell it to him with his medical issues. The 10 most violent states when it comes to homicide by guns are also some of the strictest in the country. Human decisions are what play a part in it, not the availibility of a gun. Legality of firearms isn't the issue and Foh is correct, cracking down on them will just be a waste of time and manpower. Instead we should focus on preventing them by actually helping the people who commit these crimes with their issues and problems so it never happens in the first place.

People keep saying this, but I have yet to see any documentation that supports this. Honestly, I'm curious as to if this is factual or not.

Edited by Christmas

Guest Fohacidal

People keep saying this, but I have yet to see any documentation that supports this. Honestly, I'm curious as to if this is factual or not.

I swear its like doing some research yourself is a foreign concept to you, how the shit did you get past high school?

I swear its like doing some research yourself is a foreign concept to you, how the shit did you get past high school?

How rude of you.

Edited by Christmas

ahaha, they've been giving that guy such a hard time over the past few days on CNN. His statistics are right, but the conclusions he draws from them are pure sophistry.

Piers comes from a country where gun control has worked so well, too!

1DtaZ.png

Firearm use in crime in the UK has literally doubled since the ban.

I did a paper on this in high school. I wish I could find that huge as fuck pdf that I used for references

Piers comes from a country where gun control has worked so well, too!

1DtaZ.png

Firearm use in crime in the UK has literally doubled since the ban.

@Gun law stops gun crime argument

tumblr_m0uu00RJxk1qdc5kdo1_250.gif