Sign in to follow this  
Skotti

Phone upgrade soon:

How long can you guys get on standby with your S3?

The main thing with me is that there are nights where I'll just go home and go to bed, forgetting to charge my phone. When I had an Android phone, it really bit me in the ass because my phone would die before tomorrow afternoon.

I'm due for an upgrade at the end of this year and I currently have an iPhone 4, I like the iPhone mainly because of the battery life (and only the battery life pretty much, I used to have an HTC EVO). Currently also debating between the two.

I've found that mine will last a good while if not being used, especially if power saving is on or wifi is turned off.

The one gripe I have with the S3 is not really it's fault, more like the carrier's, but the fact that you can't turn off WiFi like you can data. It'll always try to auto-scan for wifi and pick it up if it's a known network. Apparently it's only this way with Verizon's variant of the S3.

Galaxy note, nuff said. Thats a personal prefrence though as I use it for business daily.

More like Galaxy Bloat. Let me just carry around an iPad to make calls on.

Shit I accidentally +repped you. -rep cause it's not true.

Negated.

How long can you guys get on standby with your S3?

The main thing with me is that there are nights where I'll just go home and go to bed, forgetting to charge my phone. When I had an Android phone, it really bit me in the ass because my phone would die before tomorrow afternoon.

I'm due for an upgrade at the end of this year and I currently have an iPhone 4, I like the iPhone mainly because of the battery life (and only the battery life pretty much, I used to have an HTC EVO). Currently also debating between the two.

I've found that mine will last a good while if not being used, especially if power saving is on or wifi is turned off. Forgetting to charge my phone is rarely an issue, but rather it's a problem if I crash at a friend's place or go home with a girl. But since all Android phones have the universal micro usb port, I can almost always find someone with a charger I can use.

True, true. Same could be said about the iPhone ports... sort of (right now people all have the 16pin connectors, but people are bound to switch to the new thunderbolt-esque adapter and it'll be common for someone to have them). I guess I just had a bad experience with the EVO 4G. I had Wi-Fi off 95% of the day (except when I was at home) and 4G off nearly all the time and the battery would just not be as great as the iPhones. It's not that I had a lot of apps running, I guess it was just the EVO 4G itself. Looking at it this time around, at the end of the year I might get an S3 or something of the sorts. It seems like a really solid phone and I like it's looks.

Anyone have any cons to the current Androids out there?

Really, comparing the Galaxy S3 to the Iphone 4s is a joke.

There are always after market batteries you can get more most any android phone that doubles the amount of battery (While nearly doubling the size) and back covers that fit the batteries precisely. Even better, buy another of the same (stock) battery (which might cost...5-10$ at most) have it charged so in case of emergency or maybe a long trip you can just pop the other one in.

The battery seems to be the only problem with the S3 although it has a great enough battery life. It will last you easily until you get home from work/school considering you're not constantly playing games on it.

Other than that, the GS3 beats the iPhone4S and the iPhone5 in just about everything.

Guest Fohacidal

I got a GS3 LTE here in Germany as my new contract phone and god damn, I got to compare it with the Iphone 5 at the store and my old Droid X I still have on me from the states and its just phenomenal, not to mention the "titanium" look is very legit

The battery seems to be the only problem with the S3 although it has a great enough battery life. It will last you easily until you get home from work/school considering you're not constantly playing games on it.

I sit at my desk and play games all day and do email and such over wifi and just charge it on the way home from work and im good.

I can do everything I want to on my LG VM670 w/ 25$ Virgin Mobile plan.

Honestly the only thing I like about the iPhone is that zooming in and out of web pages is faster,

152602-lg-optimus-vm670-5297.jpg

iPhone

26633_4742748843509_1223802359_n.jpg

New Nexus phone was unveiled. Might want to look into that.

HTC One X/HTC Evo 4G LTE. They're basically Galaxy S3's, but I prefer the design on both those phones. The Galaxy S3 has a cheap, plastic look imo.

Or wait for quad core phones to come to the US.

iPhone

HTC One X/HTC Evo 4G LTE. They're basically Galaxy S3's, but I prefer the design on both those phones. The Galaxy S3 has a cheap, plastic look imo.

Idk the dual core 1.5 GHz does pretty good for a phone.

iPhone

Sorry for the semi-necro/bump.

Been looking into phones again. For those of you on GSM and not in an LTE area with AT&T (or if you're out of the US where LTE isn't widespread IIRC) - look into the LG Nexus 4. LG doesn't have a good reputation for build quality compared to Samsung and the GS3, but I really looked into the Nexus 4 and it really is a great phone (IPS screen on a phone /drool), despite not having a removable battery, no SD card and no LTE. It has better battery life with the lack of LTE, and imo 16GB is plenty for a phone. The removal battery is a little bit of a problem, but I expect to have this phone for only a year or two then move on to another, so it should last fine.

The cost is also $350 for an unlocked phone. (16GB) Thats really unheard of. At the end of this month I personally plan on getting a 16GB model and going with T-Mobiles prepaid/nocontract plan where I pay $30/mo for 100 minutes and unlimited data (5GB on HSPA+, then I get knocked down to 3G). Not to mention T-Mobiles HSPA+ service rivals Verizon's LTE service and stands up well against it in terms of speed and reliability of service. The lack of LTE giving the nexus better battery life makes it up for me.

To everyone that negrepped me I ask you to get an older android phone and even try to get the latest Android version working on it then find an iPhone3g and watch as it runs iOS6 fucking haters.

Root phone + Flash CM10/AOKP = latest update. And if CM10 or AOKP or any other ROMs based on those two aren't being developed on your phone the nthat usually an indicator of getting an upgrade.

But anyway, Android phones are a bit weird. You have to think of a few things before getting it: 1) Specs, 2) Developer Support. The latter is especially important if you plan on keeping your phone for years. Developer support means will there be developers developing roms for it in the foreseeable future or will the support drop? But with developer support to happen the phone either has to be: 1) easy to develop for and 2) a popular phone.

Some manufactures use hardware that aren't open. That means that, although it's true that CM10 is out and is on other phones, there's a chance that your phone won't be supported. The developer team doesn't have the necessary code to make that rom work. That happened with my brothers Motorola Atrix (Tegra chip wasn't open sourced) and, although he got CyanogenMod, the developer support was lacking.

And popular phone because since it's popular, it will attract many developers to develop for your phone and hopefully will keep updating it.

With everything said, I would highly suggest sticking to a Nexus phone. Not only are you guaranteed updates until the hardware is outdated, but you almost have instant access to higher Android versions when the source/binaries are released. It's usually a popular phone because it's the Google flagship phone and usually carrying the latest Android version. Develop support will be top notch and so on. Hell, I have a Nexus S and it's still getting latest Android updates despite being really old hardware.

TL;DR - Get the Nexus 4

Edited by Dickbutt

I can do everything I want to on my LG VM670 w/ 25$ Virgin Mobile plan.

Honestly the only thing I like about the iPhone is that zooming in and out of web pages is faster,

152602-lg-optimus-vm670-5297.jpg

I'm planning on getting the Nexus 4 for $350 and then getting the monthly to monthly T-Mobile contract for $30 a month (unlimited data, 4G/HSPA+-3G speeds for up to 5GB, then 3G speeds after, unlimited texting and 100 minutes).

100 minutes is kind of a little, but its only 0.10/min after so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I got an iphone5.... and im buying the nexus 4 when it comes out.

Atleast you can find some brainless peon to buy it for slightly under retail.