Sign in to follow this  
Taboo

Black Mesa

Still playing through the laboratory parts, but the one gripe I have is with the models of the zombies, so the fact that I have to nitpick means it's damn good. Probably would've been much better/easier to just lift the wireframes of the HL2 zombies, since the zombies seem to look a bit blocky imo.

stuck at the surface. military guys are a bitch to fight and the artillery isnt helping either. this game is very impressive IMO. I like how the game uses unconventional ways to escape rooms, they make you feel trapped for a minute and then you feel clever when you discover "OH snap! I gotta climb that shit and get to that vent!"

stuck at the surface. military guys are a bitch to fight and the artillery isnt helping either. this game is very impressive IMO. I like how the game uses unconventional ways to escape rooms, they make you feel trapped for a minute and then you feel clever when you discover "OH snap! I gotta climb that shit and get to that vent!"

I don't even know where to begin with this comment.

I kinda hope you're being sarcastic...

These "methods" are anything BUT unconventional. Hell, back in the GOOD ol' days of FPS gaming things were WAY more complicated than this. You'd have to jump your way up to a narrow ledge, make your way across it, find the hidden button behind the sliding panel that doesn't look ANY different from the rest of the wall and then jump down and run as fast as you can to the equally camouflaged door before it closes and you have to do it all over again.

Modern FPS game developers have, for some fucking reason, decided to throw away all of these mechanics that made the old FPS games so great. Gone are the days of exploration and having to figure out how to get from point A to point B. Instead we are spoon fed the same bullshit:

Walk down narrow corridor A fighting wave after wave of useless peon to corridor B. At corridor B sit on the turret for 5 minutes mowing down wave after wave of useless peon. Once finished with the turret segment there will be an equally boring rail-shooter section where you barely have to look at the screen. Finally, hold this location against wave after wave of enemy.

I would love to see the old-school Doom games or Duke Nukem 3D redone with modern graphics. That would be fucking awesome.

These "methods" are anything BUT unconventional. Hell, back in the GOOD ol' days of FPS gaming things were WAY more complicated than this. You'd have to jump your way up to a narrow ledge, make your way across it, find the hidden button behind the sliding panel that doesn't look ANY different from the rest of the wall and then jump down and run as fast as you can to the equally camouflaged door before it closes and you have to do it all over again.

Modern FPS game developers have, for some fucking reason, decided to throw away all of these mechanics that made the old FPS games so great. Gone are the days of exploration and having to figure out how to get from point A to point B. Instead we are spoon fed the same bullshit:

Walk down narrow corridor A fighting wave after wave of useless peon to corridor B. At corridor B sit on the turret for 5 minutes mowing down wave after wave of useless peon. Once finished with the turret segment there will be an equally boring rail-shooter section where you barely have to look at the screen. Finally, hold this location against wave after wave of enemy.

I would love to see the old-school Doom games or Duke Nukem 3D redone with modern graphics. That would be fucking awesome.

Wasn't aware Black mesa was a Half life remake when said post was made.... but still I enjoyed it. That being said, I just finished it. Going to play half life 2 again and start puzzling stuff all together.

Narrow ledges? Jumps that kill you if you miss by inches? Sounds like Unreal Tournament 1999's jump challenge maps. I suddenly want to reinstall it to see how terrible it looks in 1920x1080 while trying said maps, lmao.