Sign in to follow this  
AnarchyX6942

Fucking HDD

I've got this one HDD in my computer that is acting fucking retarded. I reinstalled Windows a few weeks back, and when I did, I started off the installation with both of my hdd's in, my 200GB SATA Drive and a 160 IDE Drive. After getting past the part where it formatted both drives, I stopped the install, turned off my comp and took out the IDE. (Last time I installed XP on my system it fucking went all retarded on me, installing the O.S. on the wrong hard drive, and installed a few random files on the one I actually wanted it installed on). So after I finished the install on the 200 SATA, I put the IDE back in, and for some reason, now I cant give it a drive letter. The thing shows up in my device manager, but when I go into My Computer it isn't listed. Anyone know what the deal is?

Guest some fag

Why would you mix the hard drives? Wouldn't that slow the shit out of your computer anyway?

Guest some fag

Ah... Well just reformat the drive you want. I think it was the fact that you had both of them in when you formatted.

Ah... Well just reformat the drive you want. I think it was the fact that you had both of them in when you formatted.

We'll thats my problem. I can't reformat it, cause you can only do that from My Computer (as far as I know, searching through all the drive's properties and the device manager hasn't yielded anything yet).

Guest some fag
We'll thats my problem. I can't reformat it, cause you can only do that from My Computer (as far as I know, searching through all the drive's properties and the device manager hasn't yielded anything yet).

You reformat by reinstalling Windows.

You reformat by reinstalling Windows.

Hell no, it took me like a fucking week to get this computer up and running right, and I'm sure as hell not doing it again. There has to be a different way.

Guest some fag
Hell no, it took me like a fucking week to get this computer up and running right, and I'm sure as hell not doing it again. There has to be a different way.

Dude, if you got things up and running right, then you know what you did, and you can do it in a snap.

Besides, I was telling you how to reformat, because you posted something about going into "My Computer" to reformat.

Okay, first, with how windows works, it goes to the FIRST drive in its series to put the boot loader onto (In this case the IDE) that's why the SATA didn't work. Secondly, mixing them wuldn't slow it down any... It just would be as fast as the drive is. Meaning, if you put your games on SATA, fine, but if you put your games on IDE, it won't be any faster than your current installation.

To fix it, put your ide in, right click on My Computer, left click "Manage", click Disk Management, and from there you *should* see that drive, where you can reformat/repartition it, after which, it'll show up in My Computer again. :D

As for putting XP on SATA... Yeah, that has issues... Typically you need a floppy with the SATA controller drivers, or your bios needs to support making your SATA become recognized as IDE until you get windows installed, at which point you can change it back.

Okay, first, with how windows works, it goes to the FIRST drive in its series to put the boot loader onto (In this case the IDE) that's why the SATA didn't work. Secondly, mixing them wuldn't slow it down any... It just would be as fast as the drive is. Meaning, if you put your games on SATA, fine, but if you put your games on IDE, it won't be any faster than your current installation.

To fix it, put your ide in, right click on My Computer, left click "Manage", click Disk Management, and from there you *should* see that drive, where you can reformat/repartition it, after which, it'll show up in My Computer again. :D

As for putting XP on SATA... Yeah, that has issues... Typically you need a floppy with the SATA controller drivers, or your bios needs to support making your SATA become recognized as IDE until you get windows installed, at which point you can change it back.

Its not in disk management, thats my problem. Its in device manager tho...

Okay, then go to it in device manager, uninstall the driver to the device, reboot, and try again. If not, then you'll have to update the driver for it (You can probably find it online on the HDD manufacturer's website)... Another thing to try, with the HDD in... Do a Windows Update, maybe it'll find the driver or something in there. (Not too common, but it doesn't hurt... And who knows, maybe you need some of the updates there anyways. :D)