Sign in to follow this  
skitt

STEAM ISSUES~!!!!!!!

So I recently moved into my new place of living(college dorm). When I first got here and got the computer set up, I got the internet working and what not, but my Steam didn't work. I talked to some friends, who apparently had the same issue, and fixed it with a simple unplug and replug in the ethernet cord. I tried this, it didn't work first try. I tried it for a longer period of time, and it seemed to do the trick. However, when I woke up today, Steam was doing the same thing. It acted as if I couldn't connect to the internet and I could not login. I've tried reinstalling steam multiple times and deleting the Valve registry files. I really don't know what else to do. I can connect to steam flawless on my laptop, but it just doesn't run games like my desktop can. Also regarding the laptop, I tried copying over my steam folder from my laptop, and that hasn't worked either. So it leads me to believe I have some weird internet connection settings on my computer.

Both laptop and desktop are running Windows 7.

The laptop can connect to steam using a connection to the internet through the same ethernet cord I'm currently using on my desktop. The laptop can also connect to steam using the wireless connection available.

While investigating shit to do, I also noticed when i connect to the minecraft server, it brings up the regular screen of being in a multiplayer server(shows how many players are playing in the chat and whatnot) but quickly disconnects within less then a second to show an error message: Internal exception: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

Any help would be greatly appreciated from someone that knows there way around a computer or knows a fix.

It is entirely possible your college is blocking it somehow. I had lots of trouble pinging servers at school, but once I connected I had no issues playing and enjoyed excellent latency.

Yah, when I had it working for like an hour, I was getting decent latency and download speeds at late hours of the night. I was quite impressed and surprised. But now that it's not working, I'm quite pissed. lool

Nope. Just the onboard network adapter. It seems to go in and out. As of a few hours ago, I tried connecting to minecraft, and it worked. So I decided to try steam, and that worked as well. I don't even. Anyways, it will probably go out again tomorrow or some shit like it did today. So eh.

Weird. You could try contacting the person who manages the internet at your res halls if it keeps happening (they should have someone who watches that).

At the residence I was in for school, they used the same major internet routers as the school itself and so whatever the school blocked, I lost as well, which included Battle.net servers

Also, on my home internet, if I'm dling a massive amount of torrents steam wont connect, but if I connect first, then start dling, everything is fine

EDIT: same thing with minecraft and torrenting