Sign in to follow this  
Waylon

How would you cut America's spending?

basically marine John Stossel did amazing math on what we really dont need the government todo.

Total Cut: $1,882,619,000,000

Current deficit: $1,645,000,000,000

Surplus Achieved: $237,619,000,000

If we did what Stossel did we would achieve a $237.6 Billion Surplus

I think it would take a lot of time to cut many programs and services like that, considering we'd have to see how they effect the economy in the long run. Many of those programs/services getting cut would help in the short run, but in the long run it would really hurt us.

NASA for one being cut? We have an extremely advanced space program that is still new in terms of science itself. Cutting that a long with many education and grant programs would really affect us a lot later on. The defense budget being cut isn't such a bad idea, but instead a better one would be to pull out of the countries much faster. I really would hope the Afghan police and military could hold their own without us, but we need to help ourselves before helping other countries.

I still see a few cuts that are very questionable, yet I'm not educated enough to comment on how useful they would be to keep or cut.

Marine think of it like this had the government not mandated Seatbelts be in every car/truck we would have had atleast 4 different designs that work better than the seatbelt of today. The Private sector has more time and resources to make alot of these programs better. Also yes some of those programs listed i wouldn't cut

Marine think of it like this had the government not mandated Seatbelts be in every car/truck we would have had atleast 4 different designs that work better than the seatbelt of today. The Private sector has more time and resources to make alot of these programs better. Also yes some of those programs listed i wouldn't cut

We'd probably have a lot more dead bodies after car accidents then. Define the private sector for me.

Changing to "green energy" isn't really a way of cutting America's spending. If anything, it is more expensive.

It's less in the long run, more in the short. Plus, it's more healthy to the environment.

In all honesty, Instead of giving people free welfare checks, I'd rather have them working shitty jobs while being paid by the state/federal government. That way, they'll actually look for other jobs while still getting money to support their families (as well as do work that nobody else wants to do). As a note, I don't expect handicapped people to clean sewers. I expect them to be able to do office work, however.

I played this game the other day on how to reduce our debt and build a surplus so as the title asks, what would you do? What changes would you make? Even if you can't think of many, try to name one.

I would stop both wars which would cut trillions in spending. (That will not happen at this current rate)

Stop aid to countries such as Israel and Pakistan.

Stop the drug war which in return; trillions of saving. Let the private sector make their own rules on drug use.

Invest in alternative, green energy.

Stop importing as much.

Cut Senators and Congressman's wages by half. They don't deserve their wages. Also, if they have privatized companies, they cannot use those companies towards the purpose of war profiteering.

Raise taxes slightly. We are all in this together.

Create a program so people are able to get off welfare. (Don't cut the assistance once they start working. Give them a month or two to catch up). Require urinalysis to get assistance (other than cannabis) so we know they are using the assistance for their addiction/s.

Offer tax incentives for smaller families (to help reduce population). Many get offended by the topic but its the truth. Overpopulation is not sustainable.

Stop allowing foreigners work visas when they send their money home. Every Russian, Jamaican, or Mexican that I've ever worked with (while they were here on a visa) sent their money home.

I would stop all lobbying in politics. It would get people to be a little more honest and give the underdog a voice.

Put tariffs on Chinese goods.

These are some things I would consider changing. I'm definitely open to opinions and change, so if you are offended by some of these, explain yourself and try not to flame.

There you go.

Double post, but for god sakes, stop taxing small businesses, and start taxing overly-inflated corporations.

Tax the rich more.

Re-define the Education system. Ours sucks ass. Make schools compete with each other for students; privatize.

Get rid of this Global Warming crap. It doesn't exist. In fact, most of the numbers are just outliers.

Cut the Congressmen and womens' salaries/bonuses/staff.

Cut down on government.

Stop funding Pakistan and any of the worthless Terrorist nations.

I guess there are more.

Seriously? There's quite a bit of evidence that supports global warming's actuality.

Jewinator no Global warming for the most part is made up. Its called El Nino & El Nano. These are 2 periods the earth goes through and they are periods of Warming and Cooling. We are currently in the Warming one.

Jewinator no Global warming for the most part is made up. Its called El Nino & El Nano. These are 2 periods the earth goes through and they are periods of Warming and Cooling. We are currently in the Warming one.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just like your opinion is that Global Warming is made up.

What? El Nino and La Nina are quite unrelated to global warming.

El Nino's main affect is water in the Equatorial Pacific heating up to a warmer than usual temperature, while La Nina's most noticeable effect is unusually low water temperatures in the Equatorial Pacific.

As this is a thread about economics rather than global warming, I'm just going to stop there.

Source: http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/elnino/el-nino-story.html

What? El Nino and La Nina are quite unrelated to global warming.

El Nino's main affect is water in the Equatorial Pacific heating up to a warmer than usual temperature. While La Nina's effect is unusually low water temperatures in the Equatorial Pacific.

As this is a thread about economics rather than global warming, I'm just going to stop there.

Google FTW.

I would like to question Waylon's statements, as much as I may agree with them, with the simple word of: why?

Why should we stop doing all these things? Don't just base them on personal justifications or media-atical (that's a word I made up, bear with me) hearings. What evidence leads you to believe it would be good for this country, or for anybody, really?

Try to provide at least 2 sources that would justify what you said. At least 1 source would still work, although weak, but 2 might just nail it.

PS. I like to question everything, even the things I agree on wholeheartedly.

If you wanna cut Americas spending then the best way would probably be to reduce the population. Less people means less resources needed to buy for survivability needs. Also kick all the retarded "know it all" people outa office before they bankrupt the US.