Sign in to follow this  
Masa

Obama's Grid-Lock

I'm gonna assume it's about the financial status of the country.

This issue has gone purely political from both sides, but I'm seeing the Right mostly push this off as another "We have the power to fix things, but since you don't go 100% with us, we'll just keep stalling" tactic for them. It's gotten old and they need to move the fuck on and put something in the country first rather than worry about who has the biggest dick in power. All this is right now is childish whining with no real game plan.

They need to get over it soon else all that's going to happen is people are going to get FUBAR'ed in many things from rates to inflation. Not only that, it'll chain around the world too, so fixing this now is what is really needed, but it seems progress can never be made when everyone only wants all of what they want and honestly won't compromise. I get bi-partisanship, but Repubs have shown that's never going to happen.

I'm gonna assume it's about the financial status of the country.

This issue has gone purely political from both sides, but I'm seeing the Right mostly push this off as another "We have the power to fix things, but since you don't go 100% with us, we'll just keep stalling" tactic for them. It's gotten old and they need to move the fuck on and put something in the country first rather than worry about who has the biggest dick in power. All this is right now is childish whining with no real game plan.

They need to get over it soon else all that's going to happen is people are going to get FUBAR'ed in many things from rates to inflation. Not only that, it'll chain around the world too, so fixing this now is what is really needed, but it seems progress can never be made when everyone only wants all of what they want and honestly won't compromise. I get bi-partisanship, but Repubs have shown that's never going to happen.

True, Repubs are hard to change. Unless it was a mind-blowing fantastical miracle, I don't see Repubs changing. [Even if that miracle came, Cheney would put his 12 gauge to its face].

Anyways, all we can speculate now is to put faith in a long-term plan that will hopefully unravel. That is where the voting comes, but we can talk about that later. Budget = discussion.

I support Obama's plan to fulfill our debts, by raising taxes on the rich and rasing the Debt seal/limit.

One thing though, I hate how the responses to addresses after the president speaks are all complete rebuttals. Not one thing can they concur on. Repub response basically bashed the shit out of Obama's plan. Basically, it's a chicken fight bewteen the two parties; Repubs in the House and Demos in the Senate. It's hard to imagine any progress being made with obstacle like these.

Bump: In three days, a decision will be made about this.

Adding: For those of you who don't know what the debate is about, watch sxephil's summary at 4:27

I have to say that the rich need to taxes raised. I have not found any evidence of them creating any jobs. The smart way to play the Recession Game is to launder the money and keep it with you, just in case.

I, however, find it extremely hypocritical of Obama to raise the debt ceiling--after all, he was the one to criticize our former President about it:

The fact that we're here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. Leadership means 'The buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit.

In either case, and something I find extremely imperative, the two parties need to stop fighting. We can start doing the blame game after we fix the problems of this nation. To all who criticize Dems/Repubs more than the other, well, I have news for you: They are both guilty, and that's that.

They both need to listen to the quote my Dad used to say to me:

There are going to be people you will work with you will like.

There are going to be people you will work with that you just cannot fathom to be around or like.

However, as employees [of Congress], you all have duties to accomplish, even if it means having to work with the less favorable.

You got to make money/products/results so as to not be seen as totally incompetent.

In the end, it only strengthens you if you can do the above said.

EDIT: The Republicans and Democrats need to compromise. Stalling things is getting cOLD.

They both need to listen to the quote my Dad used to say to me:

There are going to be people you will work with you will like.

There are going to be people you will work with that you just cannot fathom to be around or like.

However, as employees [of Congress], you all have duties to accomplish, even if it means having to work with the less favorable.

You got to make money/products/results so as to not be seen as totally incompetent.

In the end, it only strengthens you if you can do the above said.

The Republicans and Democrats need to compromise. Stalling things is getting cOLD.

Amen, to that.

You know, one flaw about republican democracy is that the elected leaders often focus more on winning the next election and childishly ridiculing the opposition rather than actually get anything productive accomplished. It also doesn't help that bipartisanship is practical non-existent thanks to both parties both valuing their political power over the people they were elected by to serve.

My ranting aside, I think this graph does a pretty good job at how Reagan, the rest of the neocons and not to mention Obama himself turned what was a minor deficit into this complete joke.

54236326usdebt464corr.gif

You know, one flaw about republican democracy is that the elected leaders often focus more on winning the next election and childishly ridiculing the opposition rather than actually get anything productive accomplished. It also doesn't help that bipartisanship is practical non-existent thanks to both parties both valuing their political power over the people they were elected by to serve.

My ranting aside, I think this graph does a pretty good job at how Reagan, the rest of the neocons and not to mention Obama himself turned what was a minor deficit into this complete joke.

That graph proves nothing as it is biased. It doesn't show the conditions of the United States.

The economy doesn't immediately change when new bills and laws are implemented. It takes a long time, probably more than 2 years, for the effects of the bills and laws to be seen. So graphs showing increasing debt compared to President's time in office are completely mis-informed.

You know, one flaw about republican democracy is that the elected leaders often focus more on winning the next election and childishly ridiculing the opposition rather than actually get anything productive accomplished.

Mudslinging. waste of time. republicans havent been doing too well lately/mudslinging is really what they are best at. im sure obama will get a 2nd term.

The economy doesn't immediately change when new bills and laws are implemented. It takes a long time, probably more than 2 years, for the effects of the bills and laws to be seen. So graphs showing increasing debt compared to President's time in office are completely mis-informed.

Similar to what I was thinking. People had too high of expectations when Obama entered office. He can't fix the broken down economy in a matter of 3-4 years. He has improved it a little, but people need to understand that fixing this to the Bush Sr. or Clinton eras, takes a long time. Like Obama stated, getting the economny out of the ditch will be a long and hard process, comparing it to a SUV or truck falling into a ditch on the side of a road.

Mudslinging. waste of time. republicans havent been doing too well lately/mudslinging is really what they are best at. im sure obama will get a 2nd term.

Not sure if we can talk about who will win the next election just yet. But, things are looking bright for democrats.

That graph proves nothing as it is biased. It doesn't show the conditions of the United States.

How is it bias when all it's doing is showing data from the past two decades and both major parties are on there?

I think it illustrates the OP point pretty clearly, although you also have to take inflation into account.

Similar to what I was thinking. People had too high of expectations when Obama entered office. He can't fix the broken down economy in a matter of 3-4 years. He has improved it a little, but people need to understand that fixing this to the Bush Sr. or Clinton eras, takes a long time. Like Obama stated, getting the economny out of the ditch will be a long and hard process, comparing it to a SUV or truck falling into a ditch on the side of a road.

Not sure if we can talk about who will win the next election just yet. But, things are looking bright for democrats.

I'm not voting for anyone who thinks that the '67 borders are okay. Ever.

I'm sorry if that derails the topic being discussed. Continue on.

You know, one flaw about republican democracy is that the elected leaders often focus more on winning the next election and childishly ridiculing the opposition rather than actually get anything productive accomplished.

Yep. We actually had enough of a surplus when Bush Jr. was elected to pay off the national debt completely, but he decided it was more important to give everyone a tax cut.

So what you're saying is that we finally need to give Carter his long deserved second term?

Does that graph take any consideration for the inflation that has occurred over those 30 years?

Basically, everyone has discredited the utilization of this graph in the argument. Am I correct?

So what you're saying is that we finally need to give Carter his long deserved second term?

Carter was always a better person than he was a politician. Why else would he denounce his party for being run by special interest groups?

Basically, everyone has discredited the utilization of this graph in the argument. Am I correct?

Apparently

The graph does illustrate spending, but it doesn't illustrate how things have changed. For instance, inflation and subsidies. It doesn't factor in wars, natural disasters, etc. That was my point. If someone who hadn't been able to utilize much of there brain would pull out some conservative slander against Obama by taking a gander at that graph.

I personally like to see the difference in 30 years.

I'm loving the talking points from conservatives. I don't get how the wars caused by Bush are apparently now Obama's when he's already working on getting people out. Hell, I've heard people saying he's apparently started new wars since being elected.

I get the whole debate about what should be done for the country, but come on guys. Repubs - stop making shit up now.

I'm loving the talking points from conservatives. I don't get how the wars caused by Bush are apparently now Obama's when he's already working on getting people out. Hell, I've heard people saying he's apparently started new wars since being elected.

I get the whole debate about what should be done for the country, but come on guys. Repubs - stop making shit up now.

Look, the Repubs we sent in are useless. Michael Savage quoted it best, "We elected them in and look what they have done--They're going back to spending." I presume that was back in 2010--I forgot.

The Repubs in the White House are not real conservatives. They are just idiotic wealthy corporate sponsors. The Democrats have a hard time with understanding the phrase, "Stop spending." Ok, add the Repubs, too. Sorry for my slander.

What is so hard about stopping government spending? All they do is CUT CUT CUT, and they never STOP STOP STOP. Hell, if I ran my house or my life like they did, I would be in jail. Yes, that is a cliche statement, but it proves a point.

Also, can we stop blaming Bush for everything now? What he did is done (no, not the wars, I'm talking his presidency). We can go back to the blaming game after this country is fixed--and that would be an impossibility at this rate. I did have a problem with his presidency because he eased in to the Democrats' policies back in 2006, which then caused the downfall of the Job Market (citation needed, but I heard too much).

Look, the Repubs we sent in are useless.

Kinda noticed. Especially when all they do is vote No on almost anything that was attempted to be passed.

They're more than likely referring to our minor involvement in the Libyan conflict.