Sign in to follow this  
Rune

Just need confirmation

So, oddly enough, I haven't played this game in nearly three or four months, then out of no where I receive an e-mail from Blizzard telling me that an unauthorized user had accessed my account on unspecified dates. I think looked through some more of my mail (I usually don't look through it regularly, maybe three or four times a week) and found that a WoW GM had restored nearly all of my characters on a single realm with around.. Ten Thousand gold combined through all of my characters. I appealed and blah blah to change my password to something that I knew, and they had mentioned they were going to do a full investigation of my account. This is disregarding the fact that apparently they had already done an investigation for the unknown person previous to me appealing to them.

Either way, long story short, I was hacked even though I:

-Never gave anyone but a good friend of mine my password. (Real life friend, I questioned him about it.)

-Haven't been on anything related to Blizzard for quite some time now.

-Am quite aware of my computer's processes and keep my virus and anti-malware up to date.

What I am wondering is if Blizzard will actually hack into people's accounts and send them an e-mail after changing their password and such just so they'll reactivate the old account to see if everything's okay? My friend came up with this idea as someone had mentioned this to him before; even if I believe that it's a little ludicrous. Regardless of my suspicions that my friend may have given away my password for his own personal gain, and my carelessness in the matter, I'm just curious if anyone.. might be able to confirm this?

Shit like this happens all the time, you might have opened a bad link or something along those lines.

Nonononono. Didn't you read? He is absolutely certain that he does not have any spyware or viruses. I personally agree with the notion that Blizzard hacked him.

Shit like this happens all the time, you might have opened a bad link or something along those lines.

Probably did.

Either that or my friend opened up a bad link then used my log-in information to verify it was actually a phishing site. Wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the case. :\ D'oh well, like you said: It happens and all I can do is be wary of it.

rofl, don't be silly. You gave your password away; that was your bad.

Yeah, I know, and to think I had sworn to not do it. Not only is he a very good friend, he lives next to me.

Edit: D'oh, meant to edit my post above, should really get more sleep or drink coffee.

Guest Ethan1

Once lost my password when I was inactive for like 6 months.

Make sure its actually from Blizzard by like doing an e-mail trace or something.

I get these messages from blizzard all the time. It actually isn't from blizzard. Its just hackers wanting to steal more accounts. To get your account back either do the account recovery or call blizzard.

I haven't played WoW in a long time, and yet I still get some spam mail telling me stuff like this.

Make sure that if you're going to follow any links or take any action because of an email you've received:

Examine links carefully.

They will try to trick you in every way possible. Things like www.blizard.com, etc. They're crafty.

That shit happens often. Back when i used to play I got hacked in the middle of the blue. Never having visited any suspicious sites. Sometimes your shit just gets bruitforced and you can't do much about it. I get hundreds of fake emails from 'blizzard' every month about account shit that accumulates in my spam folder.