Sign in to follow this  
noobsteak

Need serious college roomate help!

I'd say go with it.

I go to an absurdly high percentage azn school, so it happens to loads of kids.

Several scenarios:

1. He's gonna be azn. Which means he'll hang out only with azns all day erryday. He'll only speak azn. All day erry day. You'll see him every night (aka 3am) when he gets back from playing poker, smoking, drinking, or hanging out.

2. He's gonna be a fucking baller and the funniest, coolest guy ever, and you'll be his #1 american.

3. He'll be the meeknerdazn who rarely talks, is not at all assertive about anything in your room, and is a fucking genius (usually).

There are more, but these are common. That being said, I'd stick with him. #'s 2 and 3 are pretty fucking baller roommates to have, so...ya.

what school you is going to?

I think everyone is assuming that all Asians are smart. I am probably smarter than this kid, and we probably will not have the same classes either, so let's take that out of discussion.

Uh, LOL? How do you know how smart the kid is? You said he barely speaks English so you probably don't chat him up every day. He got into your school without being able to speak fluent English, and you can speak perfect English, so what does that say about you?

I think it'd be neat to have an exchange student as a roommate. Much easier to influence than the average joe as well.

I am probably smarter than this kid

Doubtful. I talk to a lot of people in China, and the average Chinese person is smarter than the average American, plus what Ika said.

He's a Chinese foreign exchange student, if anything he'll keep your dorm really nice looking, cook, and probably game with you like a mother fucker.

Jealous > Isn't Jealous

So, today I got my assignment and the person I am living with all next year is a foreign exchange student from China. Now, I am not racist against asians or anything like that. It is just that the kid lives in China at this moment and barely speaks any english, and I was hoping I could have your "average joe" type of kid who I could relate to for my first roommate. Now, here is where I need the help/advice. Does it make me a bad person to call the school and ask for a roommate change, or should I just rough it out for the first year? What would you guys do if you were in my situation? At this point, I am half pissed and half feeling like a jerk.

Out of curiosity, have you spoken with him at all, or are you just assuming because he's foreign that he doesn't speak English? I can't tell you how many of my friends are CBC that spoke English fine... For an international student to come to the US for a good school they are either very very smart or very rich. Not to mention the fact that English lessons are compulsory in Chinese primary schools.

I'm only assuming you haven't spoken with him and are jumping to conclusions about his ability to speak English based on stereotypes you have about him because you said you just got your assignment today.

In all honesty, you should give him a chance. How would you feel if you went to another country and your new roommate decided to bounce because you were not what he was expecting. It looks to me like an opportunity that you never would have gotten yourself into. Who knows, maybe he can help you with your work. Or maybe he is the biggest party animal out of China. You never will know if you opt out of living with him. If things go bad/get awkward in the future then get another roommate, but don't give up on a person who JUST arrived in our country. Make him happy that he came to the United States for education, I am sure you will get more fulfillment with that than living with an average Joe.

Just my two cents.

1. They have american schools in china.... so they do learn english over there. Some of them learn it fairly fluently.

2. The kid is from china... a large percentage of china are poorer than dirt. so for this kid to come to america to go to school means a. he is intelligent or b. his family is balling out of control.

3. Worst case scenario, the kid is smart. It is my experience that meeknerdy azns usually have bad hygiene.

4. The rich and outwardly concerned azns are easily assimilated into american culture.. and they are rich.

5. stop being a bitch.

Out of curiosity, have you spoken with him at all, or are you just assuming because he's foreign that he doesn't speak English? I can't tell you how many of my friends are CBC that spoke English fine... For an international student to come to the US for a good school they are either very very smart or very rich. Not to mention the fact that English lessons are compulsory in Chinese primary schools.

I'm only assuming you haven't spoken with him and are jumping to conclusions about his ability to speak English based on stereotypes you have about him because you said you just got your assignment today.

I have in face talked with him. I actually did not know he was from China until I spoke to him, so I did not jump to conclusions.

Fuck. Guess I'm just an idiot then.

Also, there were a lot of Chinese and Korean foreign exchange students at my high school, so I know what kind of English is bad for most foreign kids and this guy is below average, but I guess I could give this guy a try for a semester at least.

I have a roomate who is from a high school where there was 4,063 black kids and 1 mexican. I am to take a chance and say he is black which I have no problem with, BUT HE WONT ANSWER MY FUCKING EMAILS. SO IM ABOUT TO FUCK HIS SHIT UP. Trust me I would rather have an asian roomate...(Mitch). Oh well as soon as I get there I am going to tell him if he fucks with my drugs or trys to steal my shit, I will throw him out the window.