Sign in to follow this  
Sir. Hot Mayo

Street Art Documentary

I just finished watching an awesome documentary called Exit Through the Gift Shop. <-- this website has a trailer.

I'm so fucking inspired right now. I highly recommend watching it.

It follows a Frenchman named Thierry Guetta, who turns into a street artist almost by accident; alias Mr. Brainwash. [He recently did the album cover art for Madonna and Red Hot Chili Peppers]

It also features the mysterious UK street artist "Banksy".

I'm definitely buying paint for the summer after watching this.

It's a great story, it's 100% true and actual footage. It's awesome.

[if you need a site to get it from PM me.]

Guest JERKSTORE

bansky is gay.. "street art" is gay.

bansky is gay.. "street art" is gay.

First off, fuck you.

Secondly, I saw this when it first came out in Europe or whatever, and I was gonna ask if you did any street art before mayo. You just seem like the person who has/does.

Guest JERKSTORE
You're gay, oh and the Jerk Store called, theyre running out of you[\i].

clever joke miracle whip

I saw this when it first came out in Europe or whatever, and I was gonna ask if you did any street art before mayo. You just seem like the person who has/does.

I've done some really amateur shit before, "toy" level stuff. But this summer I'm planning on getting out there :D My work will be photographed and posted.

it's on Netflix streaming. I hate the guy it's about. the actual concept really cool though.

100% agreed. I'd go out of my mind dealing with that guy.

I've done some really amateur shit before, "toy" level stuff. But this summer I'm planning on getting out there :D My work will be photographed and posted.

100% agreed. I'd go out of my mind dealing with that guy.

i find when you're starting if there's not much a graffiti scene (so your shit doesnt get turfed over, LOL, or downright STOLEN) in your area it's best to do pieces of a span of time, if you try and do your first piece uncomfortably I guarantee paint is gonna run and it'll be all fudged up >.< I only ever did 2, and without fatcaps bro trust me they take just as long as a paper chase piece.

just gotta establish some solid throwups homie and everyone will think you're an NYC vet or something.

I saw this movie when it first came out! Holy shit it was good.

I tagged my neighborhood right after i saw this cause of the hype haha!

Hate the guy with the camera, but love bansky.

Really good documentary :D

i find when you're starting if there's not much a graffiti scene (so your shit doesnt get turfed over, LOL, or downright STOLEN) in your area it's best to do pieces of a span of time, if you try and do your first piece uncomfortably I guarantee paint is gonna run and it'll be all fudged up >.< I only ever did 2, and without fatcaps bro trust me they take just as long as a paper chase piece.

just gotta establish some solid throwups homie and everyone will think you're an NYC vet or something.

Yeah, I'm not expecting my shit to be amazing haha

My friend has tons of caps from his older brother, so that will be a help for sure. Right now I just gotta get the old sketch book out and come up with some shit. Then I gotta get out there and practice! :P

street art really is one of the best types of art one can see, in my opinion. I'd gladly have these type of people mark up my fence. None of that grafiti-banging bullshit, only the pure art.

GLHF creating your own street art.:)

muska2_12ozprophet-664x348.png

(yes Chad Muska)

Stuff like this isn't okay in my opinion. It is a blatant disregard for other people's property and time. Also it isn't artistic at all or visually pleasing.

The above picture is more acceptable.

Street art is HELLA filthy bro. hehehe.

revok_potd_12ozprophet1-664x443.png

Funny you should post that, I saw a lot of Revok's stuff in another documentary I watched earlier in the evening, called "Bomb It".

Bomb It is an awesome film as well. It goes into history and styles, and people who are against street art/graffiti tagging. It also shares the artists feelings about all of the aspects of the art, from all around the world; from New York to Japan, to Los Angeles to Berlin.

Stuff like this isn't okay in my opinion. It is a blatant disregard for other people's property and time. Also it isn't artistic at all or visually pleasing.

The above picture is more acceptable.

Street art is HELLA filthy bro. hehehe.

Yeah I never tagged on places of learning, religion or personal homes. Businesses like that coffee shop above are free game though.

As for being artistic or visually pleasing, graffiti certainly doesn't need to be either.

sp_12ozprophet-664x442.png

(not saying this isnt artistic, nor am i saying it isnt visually pleasing. just random graffiti haha)

thats what i like about graffiti. it can have several motives and it's really up to you. Initiially for me it was just for the thrill (much like my almost kleptomaniac stealing at the time =( ) but it evolved into a genuine appreciation for the practice. But, I would still get back into full blown regular graffiti if the thrill was the same. I would say going out tagging with my buddies late at night, slinking around having to steal shit (as parasitical to society as that sounds) was the most fun I've ever had or will ever have for some time. Some may do it for the love of art, some for the fun, and some might do it because they aren't feeling important enough and need to get their name out there (see picture below). Some might do it to get a message out there, like Banksy.

supreme_graffiti__1_12ozprophet1_thumb-664x996-500x750.jpg

rolldown_12ozprophet-664x427.png

martha_cooper3_12ozprophet1-664x442.png

Look over every area of this wall. Graffiti has no leash and is certainly not restricted to silly bubble letters and fancy colors.

No Chad Muska.

Yes Chad Muska.

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2011/07/14/pro-skateboarder-chad-muska-arrested-for-tagging-a-coffee-bean/

hip-hop (which obv includes graffiti) and skate culture are pretty much one in the same now. very seldom do i ever see an obvious fissure between the two, unless if it's a less populated area and they're still holding onto racism or some shit like grim death.

dondi_12ozprophet4-664x685.png

(Dondi White, R.I.P.)

speaking of Dondi White:

http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/sneaker-releases/Converse-X-Dondi-White/

i always thought those looked fresh despite the singular primary colorway

potd_12ozprophet11-664x986.png

img0847u.jpg

(done on paper, which reminds me, graffiti doesnt have to be on walls)

balckbook-gif.gif

and subsequently

5943742862_42911c30d7.jpg