Sign in to follow this  
Masa

Really Microsoft...?

I mean it is a great idea; great for business and for profit. Bad for gamers.

Personally, I hate seeing ads on the TV, and escape to HBO/comcast channels to watch movies commercial-free. Now, Microsoft wants to place in-game ads on their Xbox Kinect systems. Now if I'm playing my kinect with the family, I will have to deal with ads... Going to be hell trying to exit them all the time, that is if they arrive like commercials or pop-ups.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/business/media/21xbox.html?ref=technology

Here is the Article.

Looks gay, microsoft is gay, so much gay.

"They are sellin' us out man; sellin' us out to the system."

Lol I was kidding. :P

yes I know. -_-

people with psn, feel free to add me: Chupakada

but back to the discussion, I bet soon enough Sony and Nintendo will resort to doing this as well; It's all about the money. Money over customers.

people with psn, feel free to add me: Chupakada

but back to the discussion, I bet soon enough Sony and Nintendo will resort to doing this as well; It's all about the money. Money over customers.

Nintendo has no customers and PS3 will profit way to much from this to end it by enacting ads.

Nintendo has no customers and PS3 will profit way to much from this to end it by enacting ads.

The last half of that didn't make much sense when I read it, but that is the whole point; TO MAKE THAT BANK. ANY OUTLET FOR MORE BANK, MOST BIG BUSINESSES WILL TAKE IT. (within reasonable circumstances)

Nintendo has no customers? Maybe the Wii isn't selling so well anymore but did you pay any attention to sale figures? And they have a deathgrip on the portable gaming system market, even if it is infested with piracy.

Not sure if serious.

The Wii has outsold the xbox and ps3 continuously since their respective releases, sometimes at ratio's of 4 to 1 and 6 to 1. They've got a customer base, and it towers over the other consoles. In fact, they have more to gain from said features, considering their online service is free, and the have the larger base to begin with. If anything, the Wii would have ads more suited to other media, being as its more of a casual gaming platorm.

This is crap. I don't pay money for a game system and cool games i wanna play, just to have ads move from my tv to my system. It's meant for playing not watching ads. Since when is watching ads fun? It never was on the tv it sure as hell won't be on the system

10 Years later: Hey kids lets go play "Buy more Cereal"...

Thats were its going... PSN is safe for now BUT microsoft does make the operating system most of us use and with 1 update can turn you computers launch up from launch-> password-->XXX to launch-->ad--password-->XXX

I love how the article made it sound like the ads are supposed to be engaging and fun instead of a bother.

I don't think i've ever jumped out of my chair with excitement watching a commercial.

Nintendo has no customers? Maybe the Wii isn't selling so well anymore but did you pay any attention to sale figures? And they have a deathgrip on the portable gaming system market, even if it is infested with piracy.

The Wii is targeted at family players. Family players don't play online. The only worthwhile game on there is Mario Kart, and that's only if you're using a Gamecube controller.

Kinect is stupid. Move is stupid. The Wii is stupid. Motion controls are stupid. Excuse me while I finish realizing the only worthwhile games were released before 2008. (There are a few exceptions, but after F3AR introduced a health regen system, I lost all faith in the FPS genre. Sorry, but having a set health value was more challenging than sitting behind a box for 5 seconds and then acting like nothing happened.)

Sorry, but having a set health value was more challenging than sitting behind a box for 5 seconds and then acting like nothing happened.)

Thank god I'm not the only one to realize this. This is why games are being shitty nowadays. Way too easy-mode sometimes.

As to the ads, sounds like Microsoft is taking one from Apple with their iAds. Least these ads aren't half bad to deal with though and usually can be closed.