Sign in to follow this  
Formerly known as Karma

Japan just hit with 8.9 quake.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/11/japan.quake/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Tokyo (CNN) -- An 8.9-magnitude earthquake hit northern Japan on Friday, triggering tsunamis and sending a massive body of water filled with debris that included boats and houses inching toward highways.

The epicenter was 373 kilometers (231 miles) away from the capital, Tokyo, the United States Geological Survey said. But residents there felt the tremors.

The quake rattled buildings and toppled cars off bridges and into waters underneath. Waves of debris flowed like lava across farmland, pushing boats, houses and trailers toward highways.

In Tokyo, crowds gathered in the streets and tried to reach relatives via cell phone.

Scenes inside office buildings showed papers strewn all over the floor and people clinging onto seats and desks.

Such a large earthquake at such a shallow depth creates a lot of energy, said Shenza Chen of the U.S. Geological Survey.

It caused a power outage in about 4 million homes in Tokyo and surrounding areas.

A tsunami in the Pacific was moving closer to other shorelines in other countries, said CNN meteorologist Ivan Cabrera.

It triggered tsunami warnings for various countries, including Japan and Russia, the National Weather Service said.

"Earthquakes of this size are known to generate tsunamis potentially dangerous to coasts outside the source region," it said.

"Based on all available data a tsunami may have been generated by this earthquake that could be destructive on coastal areas even far from the epicenter."

The quake was the latest in a series in the region this week.

Early Thursday, an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.3 struck off the coast of Honshu.

A day earlier, a 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck off of Honshu, the country's meteorological agency said.

The largest recorded quake took place in Chile on May 22, 1960, with a magnitude of 9.5, the USGS said.

I was watching the Tsunami on the news and all I could think was, "No, no, no!!" :( It's so sad!

Watching all the news stations in my TV broadcast this event live right now. It's pretty devastating how much damage was caused.

It's just frightening to know that this isn't even a fraction of what could/could have happened. Just hope Japan and it's people will recover - we need our Pokemon.

This is probably the worst thing that could happen.

I highly doubt though that the countries said on CNN would be affected like Australia south america etc etc.

It's really horrible how I was watching it and saw 3 cars trying to outrun the waves in a country looking road but disappeared once the water hit them.

God help those who need it most right now, it might be hard for them now but they've recovered before and they sure as well will again.

Just a bit curious about the story just told about a nuclear station on fire. That doesn't sound good.

Is it bad that I'm excited for the jokes that come out of this?

You're a terrible person, Pebbz.

Now I will show you my pokerface

:l

It's what they get for living so close to a fault line, and anyone living in a coastal region with even the slightest chance of tsunami action would be gone by now if they had any brains

yeah! how DARE they live in a place that's been populated for thousands of years! Screw their ancestral homes, go find somewhere safer!

Dumb.

yeah! how DARE they live in a place that's been populated for thousands of years! Screw their ancestral homes, go find somewhere safer!

Dumb.

no, not dumb...people have been moving away from their homes for...forever, We wouldnt be in america if we didnt move from our ancestral homes...so, fuck you.