Sign in to follow this  
Jason

Website Downtime

While doing this, I asked myself why wouldn't I tar -czvf something before moving it to another server.

Simple answer: zipping a file in an effort to reduce transfer time is utterly pointless when you can transfer it at 110 MB/s.

46% [=================>                     ] 454,161,857  107M/s  eta 2s

Getting replaced by nginx D:

ohshi

While doing this, I asked myself why wouldn't I tar -czvf something before moving it to another server.

Simple answer: zipping a file in an effort to reduce transfer time is utterly pointless when you can transfer it at 110 MB/s.

46% [=================>                     ] 454,161,857  107M/s  eta 2s

I lol'd.

Forget transfer times.... if you can connect to the server at the time of transfer then why would you tar at all?

rsync -e 'ssh -ax' -axHhPzv --numeric-ids --stats --delete --delete-before /src/ user@server:/dest/

There is a lot there you might not need. Especially the -a flag... that is archive mode and will preserve all permissions/groups/owners/timestamps. If you are moving to a new server then that might be a bad thing and would have to reset permissions to what it is on the new system. Also there might be symlinks that don't exist or the path changed.

The -z flag will compress the files during transfer. Also if the transfer fails for some reason then rsync will restart from where it failed.

Forget transfer times.... if you can connect to the server at the time of transfer then why would you tar at all?

rsync -e 'ssh -ax' -axHhPzv --numeric-ids --stats --delete --delete-before /src/ user@server:/dest/

There is a lot there you might not need. Especially the -a flag... that is archive mode and will preserve all permissions/groups/owners/timestamps. If you are moving to a new server then that might be a bad thing and would have to reset permissions to what it is on the new system. Also there might be symlinks that don't exist or the path changed.

The -z flag will compress the files during transfer. Also if the transfer fails for some reason then rsync will restart from where it failed.

rsync is so godly. I used it to transfer my package manager's cache folder to my notebook, eliminating all download times, and it seriously flew at about 25 mb/s, with compression. Local network, obviously, but I was expecting 9ish.

I would normally use rsync, but since one of the boxes was going to be formatted, I was taking a very large number of files off of it and putting them both onto my home computer, and onto the other box. The first of those two is the reason I tarred it.

Sign in to follow this