Sign in to follow this  
NightFury

Alienware M17x good/bad you decide.

Obviously but if I can play BC2 on all highs with no lag and Crysis with almost all highs with no stutter, then I'm a happy gamer.

I understand the fact that you want to have a laptop for college, but is having one with an hour and a half long battery life really ideal? I know you've already made your purchase and you can't do anything about it now, but all I'm saying is that it would've been wiser to get a gaming desktop and a laptop with increased portability and battery life.

Yeah it works fine for me and I'm happy. I have no regrets. Two hour battery life is enough for me because I don't need to carry it everywhere/ use it for extended amounts of time unplugged. And I can plug it in inside the classroom as well.

Because I'd prefer a laptop for college. I like having the option of being able to take my laptop with me. And games such as BC2 take advantage of the four cores so it is a useful purchase for gaming.

you play bc2?? add mee.

ITT: People talking about laptops like it's 2003.

I bought a Toshiba Satellite A505 (i7, 6 gigs ram, 500 gb hd, nvidia 330m gfx card) this Spring because I needed a laptop for college, but also wanted one that was decent at playing games.

At $1,175, sure, I could have gotten a much more powerful desktop for that amount, but a laptop suits my needs.

Unplugged on eco mode, I can take notes in class, get online, and stuff like that with a great battery life. Not to mention a lot of lecture halls and classrooms at my colleges have power sockets in the ground or in the desks all throughout the room.

When I'm at home or in my dorm room, I can plug it up, hook up my mouse, and play most of my games at max settings, and some like BFBC2 at medium.

The broad functionality of even fairly basic laptops is a bit more than people seem to realize. There's no longer a need to buy a small laptop for portability and a separate desktop for power. Most decent laptops now have both at a good price.

IMO I think alienwares are overrated, I saw a youtube video one where one guy took all the specs of a Alienware build, went on like tigerdirect/ncix/newegg and found out that You could actually save $800 from just buying the parts alone then just buying a alienware. Same thing goes with macs, Macs are also overpriced and there are alot more better laptops out there that are more cheaper,

IMO I think alienwares are overrated, I saw a youtube video one where one guy took all the specs of a Alienware build, went on like tigerdirect/ncix/newegg and found out that You could actually save $800 from just buying the parts alone then just buying a alienware. Same thing goes with macs, Macs are also overpriced and there are alot more better laptops out there that are more cheaper,

Macs technically aren't overpriced..

You are paying a premium for style.

Think $35 kohl's jeans and $200 designer jeans. <--Premium for style.

good comp but overpriced get the arts yourself and build it for about 3/4 the cost

I have a m17x. If you can afford it, it's a great laptop. I've had mine for almost a year now. No complaints, no regrets. Every game I've tried on it could be played at max settings with ease. With all three gfx cards on, battery life is around 30-45 minutes. With only the integrated gfx card on I get a solid three hours. If your going to play games you want it plugged in anyway. The light up keyboard looks cool with all the different combinations and the screen (mine is 1920x1200) looks fantastic. I don't see what's with all the bashing. It seems the theme of this thread is hurr durr I can get a desktop for less. Well no shit, but if you want the best of the best laptop wise here it is.

I can post my specs later on if anyone wants, I'm in the car right now on my iPod.

Macs technically aren't overpriced..

You are paying a premium for style.

Think $35 kohl's jeans and $200 designer jeans. <--Premium for style.

Except for the fact that you can buy something that looks the exact same for cheaper and that most people would consider designer jeans overpriced.

QFT

Except for the fact that iPads are useless and laptops aren't useless.

ITT: People talking about laptops like it's 2003.

I bought a Toshiba Satellite A505 (i7, 6 gigs ram, 500 gb hd, nvidia 330m gfx card) this Spring because I needed a laptop for college, but also wanted one that was decent at playing games.

At $1,175, sure, I could have gotten a much more powerful desktop for that amount, but a laptop suits my needs.

Unplugged on eco mode, I can take notes in class, get online, and stuff like that with a great battery life. Not to mention a lot of lecture halls and classrooms at my colleges have power sockets in the ground or in the desks all throughout the room.

When I'm at home or in my dorm room, I can plug it up, hook up my mouse, and play most of my games at max settings, and some like BFBC2 at medium.

The broad functionality of even fairly basic laptops is a bit more than people seem to realize. There's no longer a need to buy a small laptop for portability and a separate desktop for power. Most decent laptops now have both at a good price.

This post is win.

Macs are still overpriced. Alienware is also more along the lines of "designer style", but unlike with Macs you get the performance to back up the looks.

Macs are still overpriced. Alienware is also more along the lines of "designer style", but unlike with Macs you get the performance to back up the looks.

You get the performance to back up your purcahse if you were to have bought it 2 years ago. You have to pay an arm and a leg to get anything half-way decent in the way of macs. They're sexy, but not worth it. Get a netbook and turn it in to a hackintosh if you're really that excited about it.

Meh. I might need to get a Mac if I plan to major in a degree in multimedia at this one college I might go to heh. They aren't that bad, at least the ones around the 1000$ to 1500$ range, but that's just my opinion.

As for the Alienware, IDK. A lot of the community have conflicting opinions, so you should just go with what you think is best for yourself.

You get the performance to back up your purcahse if you were to have bought it 2 years ago. You have to pay an arm and a leg to get anything half-way decent in the way of macs. They're sexy, but not worth it. Get a netbook and turn it in to a hackintosh if you're really that excited about it.

Haha I didn't say I liked Macs? Or that they got good performance?