Sign in to follow this  
Havana

Ideas/Suggestions

Sup all.

I used to co-run a fairly popular WCS server under Lg, which averaged 15-25 people at any time. My job was basically to code races, approve races, fix them, and administrate the server. We had a few things that made us popular before the server got shut down (I quit because of a dispute with the leader, and then the regulars stopped playing because of no new updates XD), and I thought it wouldn't hurt to suggest em to you guys.

1. Buying levels. I completely understand if your against this, its just one of the easiest ways to make money to support the server. Sell 100 levels for $5, etc, and people will be on it like shark to bait. My old server had a coded mod where the admin could basically control a level giving menu, where people could open the menu and spend their recieved levels as they wished. Not sure if anyone could do anything like that, but I'm not profecient in server coding.

2. Custom races. This one was by far the funnest thing to do. People would donate $5 and get a 4-class race on the server that only they could use (Based on STEAMID), or $10 and we would code it for them. Me, along with 2 other admins on the server, would look the races over to make sure they aren't OP. With a watchful eye, this could add a new dimension to the server and bring in donations at the same time.

3. Bank mod. I was told by a few people that this was suggested before, and the response was that if we added banking then betting would be taken away. I'm completely OK with this, and I'm sure that most members/regulars are (If not, they can post in this thread voicing for or against it). It basically eliminated the lvl 0 gap that a lot of people hate. Instead of waiting for 16k, they can take it out of their bank and get the instant lvl 4 so they don't get raped ASAP. The interest also would make up for betting, since you could make 10-15k a day just on that alone. Also, at the end of the map you can deposit the 14.9k you where saving for XP instead of raging about its waste.

Just some ideas/suggestions towards the server. I'm all ears if anyone needs help with understanding these changes or implementing them, I can be found on WCS2 or on Steam/MSN (MSN: he@rt.pro).

i definitly like those ideas it would make the game more fun and the idea about custom races would be awesome but you would need atleast 4-5 people coding them which i wouldn't mind learning how so that i can code as well and it would be really nice if we could have a bank

Thanks for the ideas Havana i hope the SG guys like them too

Well, I appreciate all of you for looking at this thread XD. As for having multiple people coding for the server, I really don't think it would be needed as I can usually create a race from scratch in half an hour to an hour and it wouldn't be happening that often. If you want to learn though and help anyway (If it gets implemented, or if you want to just have it as a skill for the future), you can just add me on STEAM or MSN and I'll run through the basics with you.

Already coded a custom race to show staff if they need examples. Jack Bauer ftw.

EDIT EDIT:

Someone asked how private races would be done:

1. Donator expresses interest in the private race to a staff member or coder, etc

2. Coder verifies if the request is completable or not

3. Staff OKs the race stats

4. Coder creates the race

5. Staff members test the race for OP-ness and balence

6. Race is put on the server with a lock so only the donator can recieve access to it.

Something else that can be done is that donators who recieve these races can allow other donators access to them (Their "friend" has to pay the same amount as he does for a custom race, but with the OK of the original donator, recieves access to the other private race instead of creating a brand new one).

Buying levels seems fine to me.

I hate private races with a passion.

Banking just doesn't work well, it favors people who play there constantly even further. Makes it hard for a new player to join in.

I think the server is fine how it is. If you happen to be grinding a p or k race you don't spend money and can use it to bet to make quick levels. This has been efficient for me so far and the bank is only good for if your funds go over 16k so you won't be wasting it. I spend my money every chance i get. The races idea can go both ways, it's fun for you and sucks for other people but i think there's enough fun races as it is. I do think some of the level gaps should have races added but custom races breed envy.

Hey Havana,

1. Buying Levels - Yes that is a good way to bring money into the community, but would that not then also defy the fun of playing the server and the whole point of getting levels the normal way?

2. Custom Races - Kai has been adding races as of late and is clearing up the level gaps. Having custom races will be a little like the old admin races we had (that i missed out on) it just made people on the server get a bit annoyed that a good race could be private and they would be stuck with normal ones.... Sounds plausible though.... rather see this than buying levels...

3. Bank Mod - Please no. Yeah okay you might lose out on cash that you have saved at end of round, but that is how its always been, its not just you that loses it, its the whole server also... a better option would to be to try and code something that will auto give 15/16k upon map finish so all can buy 1 last tome....

Just personal opinions....

Chikendinner

More in-depth arguement for these, since I have time for it:

While some people think that buying levels takes away the "fun", in reality its the difference. I personally have had a lot of time to play recently, but normally might get an hour or 2 in per week due to school and work. If it hasn't been for these past few days, then I'd be at lvl 60 total and be getting nowhere. Buying levels lets people who really don't have the time to put into the game to experience other content for the time they can play. Sure, theres always going to be the people who get lazy and buy the levels because they have unlimited funds of money (AKA Spoiled by Parents), but with any decent idea you have abusers. While there are some people who donate for admin, others donate to get it just to spam money. Even with the game itself, people buy it to play and have fun, and others buy it to hack and make other people angry. EVERY good idea has drawbacks.

Custom races are entirely a privledge thing. People say that they will always be "OP" and such, but every race I've ever made has had at least 3 or 4 decent counters that are commonly played. Creating an overpowered race isn't fun for anyone except the person who plays it, and while some servers may give private races like that to donators, I don't intend on seeing those here anytime soon. I expect to see original ideas implemented into a mix of skills and gameplay that hasn't been used before or isn't in use on this server. Theres no "2000 HP, 500% Speed, Double Damage, Mole" class, and if someone requests it I will straightforward deny them it for any server. People who complain they don't like not having access to these races can, in all honesty, cry more. Donators deserve special perks, whether it be in the form of levels or races or something entirely different. The people who say that they are no more important to the server are wrong. They are the reason the servers are still alive.

Bank mod is by far the most arguable thing. Some people disagree on it because they feel it will make leveling too easy or bring an unneeded element into the server while others think its an interesting twist that brings a leveled playing field for people starting new races. I can see why people would disagree and agree, I just felt that it is worth suggesting because it does sometimes make a server funner, at least on the ones I've played on.

Like I said before, I support all 3 of these and I'm open to arguements for and against them. Please don't just say "I don't like this", give a reason. This is an idea/discussion thread, not a forced mandate or order from me (As if I have the power to do that anyway XD). I want to see other people giving suggestions on things and their personal experiences and views.

Also, @bob, I actually think banking would make it easier for new players to start out. When you first join, sure, you don't have money. At the same time, you get to play through a lot of races in the beggining so having extra money would help. I can see where wealth could cause a gap though with older players starting the second round with M4's (Source Bank Mod has first round withdrawls disabled by default) while they are still using a deagle or starting pistol. It's all a preference thing. Could kind of be an incentive or reward to make them play more :), you never know.

Lol. As much as I like the custom race idea I think I would get shot down for one every time because I unbalance wcs2 without meaning to. Jk. This is probably my favorite of the three ideas because it can really show the creative side of other players and just bring a whole different kind of game play to the server. Lets say someone got a private race that does this that and the other thing, someone could make a private race specifically meant to counter it and balance things out.

Hi, welcome hope you have fun on the server

1.All for buying levels seems like it would be nice to be able to level up some of the races that are just boring to play. Of course you would have to stop people from buying bob the novice.

2.I don’t think this idea is very good. For starters yes you could look at the race and say on paper that it isn’t op, but when its played it happens to proc more than it is intended to or it’s the right percentage but the skill is just to powerful and you need to lower the proc. So while the person who bought it wants to keep playing the race and rape, every one else gets angry or just feed up.

3.Banking is just a flat out no imo not every one buys levels with their money when they get it; instead they shop whore and just become harder to kill. The only thins keeping them from hopefully killing them when their out of money or in the first few rounds when they don’t have the money. If banking where put in it would just make it easier to shop item whore.

Hi, welcome hope you have fun on the server

1.All for buying levels seems like it would be nice to be able to level up some of the races that are just boring to play. Of course you would have to stop people from buying bob the novice.

2.I don’t think this idea is very good. For starters yes you could look at the race and say on paper that it isn’t op, but when its played it happens to proc more than it is intended to or it’s the right percentage but the skill is just to powerful and you need to lower the proc. So while the person who bought it wants to keep playing the race and rape, every one else gets angry or just feed up.

3.Banking is just a flat out no imo not every one buys levels with their money when they get it; instead they shop whore and just become harder to kill. The only thins keeping them from hopefully killing them when their out of money or in the first few rounds when they don’t have the money. If banking where put in it would just make it easier to shop item whore.

1. I agree with #1 in a sense. No using $$$ to level classes that max out at like lvl 75+

2. Hence the trial period where it gets beta tested. The person coding the race would most likely test it to make sure everythings working on their own, which means 2 layers of testing.

3. TBH, I've seen maybe one person shop whore for anything except tomes and that was by buying longjump every round.

Well they also buy tome of hit points and a couple mask of death. Where is this beta testing done at, on a different server? No. So its weeks of testing and trying to figure out how to set the skills properly while the person still plays it and you have to play against it. That I don't like. Take hallow Ichigo, you obviously weren't around to play against it so you’ll just have to take my word that it wasn't fun play to play while someone was testing it and the whole time you're getting your ass kicked all you can think about is wanting to playing the damn race.

Well they also buy tome of hit points and a couple mask of death. Where is this beta testing done at, on a different server? No. So its weeks of testing and trying to figure out how to set the skills properly while the person still plays it and you have to play against it. That I don't like. Take hallow Ichigo, you obviously weren't around to play against it so you’ll just have to take my word that it wasn't fun play to play while someone was testing it and the whole time you're getting your ass kicked all you can think about is wanting to playing the damn race.

Well, the best part is, tweaking takes around 2 minutes, and its not like 500 people would be testing the race, nor the second its found to be overpowered the person testing it will continue using it beyond its point. I have a fairly good idea going into testing how the skills will behave, as will most coders, so there wont be anything ridiculously overpowered or broken, and if there is the skill/class will ceased to be used until its fixed.

Also, beta testing CAN be done on another server (I have a LAN server I test on with bots, and I'll be getting a fully online server where I can test with other people).