Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mr Clickerson

Being as Toyota is such a respected car company...

Guest Mr Clickerson
Then you cant really say no repairs were needed. Small things like that add up. In terms of reliability, you can't just say its more reliable because you know how to work on it. Issue should be thing shouldnt be breaking down to begin with.

Are you saying Volvos are japanese?

I'm kinda' confused as to what you're getting at. It would have helped for me to read your post rather than skim through it- all cars, not just domestic. The only reason the Volvo was in the shop all the time was due to the fact that it was so frequent and my dad didn't have the time, what with being gone a majority of the time.

If anything goes wrong and the car isn't too new (new cars require new special tools, etc, etc), we'll do our own work to it- this includes maintenance... Brakes, wheel bearings, fluids, seals, ball joints, so on and so forth, so I'm not saying they were more reliable because I know how to work on them- we just had less problems with them. I don't understand where you got confused.

No, Volvo's aren't Japanese, I meant foreign/imported cars we've owned.

Any other questions?

EDIT:

Yup, Ulta- I think he's trying to try and twist my words... I'm sure he understood exactly what I meant. I'll just have to start paying a bit more attention.

He is saying it as an import, you do realize Volvo is not from the US?

I realized Volvo is not from the US, but when he mentions 5 cars, 4 being japanese. Then after he lists them, he mentions those are all the JAPANESE cars he has had. I wondered if he actually thought it was japanese.

This is where I got confused. Sounds like you work on cars a lot. So..

I like how your experience with domestic and imported cars has been the exact opposite of mine. My mother's 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon died at 134K miles, What caused it to die? and the 1985 Subaru wagon we had before that ate up ball joints like a mother fucker. Is this because you guys worked on it and maybe never really fixed it right?My dad's Volvo that he had around the time of my birth until I was about 6-7 had always been in the shop- literally every other week. If his car broke down all the time, why did you take the time to learn what was causing this if you work on cars all the time. That way your dad might not be getting screwed by the mechanic (was it a mechanic that only works on volvos?) One time, on the way home from the air port (he was a private jet pilot) his seat caught fire from the seat warmer. Maybe the mechanic messed the wires up in the car My brother had a Mitsubishi Gallant (not quite sure on the year- mid 90's)... Bought it for 500 dollars, but ran fine and didn't have too many miles on it. Lasted 2 weeks before the motor threw a rod through the oil pan. maybe something was already wrong with it to begin with from driver abuse? I mean he did pay only 500 for it...Got about 300 dollars for it from the scrap yard, so not too much of a loss... Other than those, and my other brother's 80's Nissan Z car (240, 300, something like that), you dont mention if this broke down or sitll ran, so whats the status on this car?those are all the Japanese cars we've had. Every other vehicle we've owned has been GM. Buick, Chevrolet, Pontiac, and GMC, and aside from one being totaled in an accident, they're all still running (though with different owners).

My Point is you are saying how bad the imports are, but the incidents you mention don't really seem all that bad compared to your transmission going out twice right out of warrenty (like both my parents saturns)

I didn't say I simply hate American cars cause they are made in America. I listed the cars I do like and I like them for what they look like and how they perform.

I hate American cars cause I think they lack style and creativeness. Mazda for example I think has done a great job the past few years with the 3 and 6 as far as good looking cars that aren't bland like the ford focus or the chevy impala.

Guest Mr Clickerson
I realized Volvo is not from the US, but when he mentions 5 cars, 4 being japanese. Then after he lists them, he mentions those are all the JAPANESE cars he has had. I wondered if he actually thought it was japanese.

This is where I got confused. Sounds like you work on cars a lot. So..

What caused it to die? The motor just wore out- less than 40% compression in all cylinders. We changed the oil every 3k miles with Penzoil 10W-40 as we do in all our vehicles.

Is this because you guys worked on it and maybe never really fixed it right? No, they're pressed in, and we followed the manual for torque specs when attaching the steering knuckle/wheel spindle.

If his car broke down all the time, why did you take the time to learn what was causing this if you work on cars all the time. That way your dad might not be getting screwed by the mechanic (was it a mechanic that only works on volvos?) It was a different thing every time. The thing was just a lemon, I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe the mechanic messed the wires up in the car Shit's not hard to wire up. Regardless, we never took it to the shop because the seat warmer. That would be a waste of time.

maybe something was already wrong with it to begin with from driver abuse? I mean he did pay only 500 for it... He paid 500 dollars for it because he bought it from his fiance's father. Her father bought it from their neighbor, because their neighbor's son, who owned the car, commit suicide. The car had around 200k miles on it. The motor ran great and had fresh oil in it when we got it.

you dont mention if this broke down or sitll ran, so whats the status on this car? It's still running great- it's my other brother's fiance's daily driver (two brothers, both are currently engaged).

My Point is you are saying how bad the imports are, but the incidents you mention don't really seem all that bad compared to your transmission going out twice right out of warrenty (like both my parents saturns)

I'm not giving you twenty questions, or all these maybe, maybe, maybes. How exactly is the engine destroying itself not as bad as the transmission going out? Or eating up the ball joints causing large amounts of play in the steering making it dangerous to drive? Or that Volvo's seat catching fire while my dad is on the highway, making his way home in the middle of winter? Is it because they're imports that it's not as bad? Maybe it's just because it doesn't agree with your mantra of imports being of this magical, super high quality, even though many imports sold in the US market is designed and built here in America?

I didn't say I simply hate American cars cause they are made in America. I listed the cars I do like and I like them for what they look like and how they perform.

I hate American cars cause I think they lack style and creativeness. Mazda for example I think has done a great job the past few years with the 3 and 6 as far as good looking cars that aren't bland like the ford focus or the chevy impala.

This isn't even worth responding to. Not many bland cars have come out of America since the early 90's. If you want to talk about bland, I can post pictures of many Japanese and European cars. Performance? Don't even go there. You'll lose.

The American idea of performance is straight line racing, and when Americans turn it's always left. Hence why Nascar is so popular here and rally racing isn't.

Check these out.

Lrk6vsb77xk

0Uc4Ksz3nHM&NR=1

YfZDtC9kjVk&NR=1

5ZliO4rUPvg

HlqjChw9H3A

i agree w/ zelda completely... i'm never gonna buy an american car.

Honda and Toyota cars all the way

maybe a European car if i get rich ;)

Guest Mr Clickerson
The American idea of performance is straight line racing, and when Americans turn it's always left. Hence why Nascar is so popular here and rally racing isn't.

Check these out.

You do realize that everything they did with the Toyota is EASILY done with any pickup of that vintage, right? Oh, wait, no, you don't, because you posted that video as if it was something special.

ShL8rsBwyXg

Ky8ZiO6ebn0

k6mEirkQN8o

XNHP83J6H3E

And a car more suited to compete against an STI- not that bloated muscle car remake, and unlike that GTO, Camaros handle very well around a track.

QFnWfOjJSfU

I've got another video on Break. I'll edit when it's uploaded.

EDIT:

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/12/crash-testing-jeep-1516397

i agree w/ zelda completely... i'm never gonna buy an american car.

Honda and Toyota cars all the way

maybe a European car if i get rich ;)

Have fun limiting yourself. I'll be enjoying cars of all varieties.

(Reposted for emphasis)

Hey buddy, ever heard of the Corvette ZR-1? Viper ACR? Two of the fastest times around the Nurburgring ring a bell?

k6mEirkQN8o

o2mFEC2H0cY

And a car more suited to compete against an STI- not that bloated muscle car remake, and unlike that GTO, Camaros handle very well around a track.

QFnWfOjJSfU

Then why don't you find a video of a camaro beating a STI around a track and not in a straight line...

And all I can say about the vette and viper is yes indeed they are great cars. Although it took them a while to get those top spots in Nuremberg and I only found 5 other entries for them at the track top 100.

They aren't even close to the same caliber of cars by price and performance.

$98110 viper

$105000 vette

$34,995 STI

$33,300 EVO

Evo's and STi's are NOT going to outrun a ZR1. I know this firsthand.

Stock for stock the ZR1 will outrun both cars anyday. the ZR1's first gear will hit 60mph, while the evo and sti's hit about 40 ~ 45.

Then again, an evo and sti can certainly keep up with a ZR1.

Then again, how is any of this relevant to the topic?

Guest Mr Clickerson
Then why don't you find a video of a camaro beating a STI around a track and not in a straight line...

And all I can say about the vette and viper is yes indeed they are great cars. Although it took them a while to get those top spots in Nuremberg and I only found 5 other entries for them at the track top 100.

They aren't even close to the same caliber of cars by price and performance.

$98110 viper

$105000 vette

$34,995 STI

$33,300 EVO

See? There you go trying to compare prices of cars that I surely did not compare. Did I compare a Viper or 'Vette to either the STI or Evo? No, I don't believe I did, and who even brought up price to begin with? If you want to bring up price, I'll go find a cheap Camaro, build up a nice small block Chevy for it and tune the suspension for cheaper than the cost of one of your precious Evo's or STI's.

Why don't I find a video of a Camaro beating an STI around the track? You can't find either car going around a track stock. If you don't think a Camaro can handle to begin with, you shouldn't even be talking about cars to begin with.

I didn't say a camaro can't handle, im just saying it can't handle as good as an STI or EVO in the corners. it's too heavy among other things.

As much as i'd love to continue to argue back and forth with you getting nowhere, were mainly arguing our preferences, at least I am lol so im gunna get back to real life and my finals.

Guest Mr Clickerson
I didn't say a camaro can't handle, im just saying it can't handle as good as an STI or EVO in the corners. it's too heavy among other things.

As much as i'd love to continue to argue back and forth with you getting nowhere, were mainly arguing our preferences, at least I am lol so im gunna get back to real life and my finals.

Too heavy? The Camaro in that video weighs about 3400 pounds- that STI, 3100... And a Lancer Evo about 3200. Weight is not a factor between the three.

What about the Toyota Supra? You didn't mention that one. I'm sure you think that car has excellent handling, though, right?

The American idea of performance is going in a straight line, blah blah blah blah blah...

Now that we've proven you wrong, and a fool for thinking as such...

As much as I'd love to argue back and forth, blah blah blah blah, I got to get back to real life, blah blah blah blah

You're a moron.

Too heavy? The Camaro in that video weighs about 3400 pounds- that STI, 3100... And a Lancer Evo about 3200. Weight is not a factor between the three.

except the two are lighter..and if people take passenger side seats out of cars 300 pound must make a difference

Guest Mr Clickerson
V[aster]V[ind;309755']except the two are lighter..and if people take passenger side seats out of cars 300 pound must make a difference

Very minute difference, hence the reason why I say weight is not a factor. The Camaro may be 2-300 pounds heavier, but it's also wider, has wider tires, and has more than enough power to compensate.

What makes you think the same weight saving techniques you propose using on the Evo or STI couldn't be done on a Camaro?

Very minute difference, hence the reason why I say weight is not a factor. The Camaro may be 2-300 pounds heavier, but it's also wider, has wider tires, and has more than enough power to compensate.

What makes you think the same weight saving techniques you propose using on the Evo or STI couldn't be done on a Camaro?

it can be done on all cars, and im sure it is, the point i was trying to make was that a seat weighs about 50 ponds....now taking time to strip the car of that 50 pounds and making it a track car only makes me think that 300 pounds would make quite the difference in the control of a car.

im not arguing which car is more stable at all, im just pointing out that 300 pounds are ALOT and zelda said jap cars are lighter (and they are) and you sid that he was wrong (and he was not).

300 lbs makes a big difference.

You realize the STI and Evo are also All Wheel Drive vehicles, which weigh more because of the extra parts. They maybe slower in the 1/4 mile, but they can handle a lot better than a camaro.

Guest Mr Clickerson
V[aster]V[ind;309782']it can be done on all cars, and im sure it is, the point i was trying to make was that a seat weighs about 50 ponds....now taking time to strip the car of that 50 pounds and making it a track car only makes me think that 300 pounds would make quite the difference in the control of a car.

im not arguing which car is more stable at all, im just pointing out that 300 pounds are ALOT and zelda said jap cars are lighter (and they are) and you sid that he was wrong (and he was not).

To make a track car you do a LOT more to remove weight than just pull a seat out, and for the life of me, I can NOT find where I may have said that Japanese cars weren't lighter, or where I said he was wrong. I did however tell him that the very minute weight difference is made up for with 3 things. Wider front and rear track widths, bigger motor with more power, and wider tires.

300 lbs makes a big difference.

You realize the STI and Evo are also All Wheel Drive vehicles, which weigh more because of the extra parts. They maybe slower in the 1/4 mile, but they can handle a lot better than a camaro.

AWD does not necessarily equate to better handling.

id also like to point out that the evo weighs 2,900 pound and the STI runs about 3,300 so a 500 pound difference with the advantage of all wheel drive and the fact that the evo is one of the leading rally cars whereas no one is driving a chevy on a mountainous course to show off handling. Im in no way a pro when it comes to cars, and we all know that you would argue absolutely anything no matter how absurd (and as much as i hate to admit it come up with decent points) but i just cannot agree with you on this one zues, i think an evo is much more stable.