Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix

Finalfuckenly

Now that I'm starting a new job, guess what!? I'LL FINALLY BE ABLE TO BUILD A COMPUTER!!!

Lol Help me build something that is between 800-1000$ CAN, that will be letting me run stuff smoothly and without overheating (box with holes too). I already got a good hardrive, yep that's it lol. The screen I'm using is an old (those tv like screens) 17", pretty good for gaming, pixel kills my eyes.

duh.... but here is the catch... most of ATI's video cards are meant for workstation crap, meaning they're not ideal for gaming.

Just stick with Nvidia... you can do 3-way unlike crossfire which is limited to 2-way.

I'm not going to post up what you need as I'll be bashed for saying ATI is not good.

Hope you're willing to spend an extra 200 bucks for ATI's best end card.

currently, Nvidia GTX 275 is 279.99 while ATI's top end is over 450.

duh.... but here is the catch... most of ATI's video cards are meant for workstation crap, meaning they're not ideal for gaming.

Just stick with Nvidia... you can do 3-way unlike crossfire which is limited to 2-way.

I'm not going to post up what you need as I'll be bashed for saying ATI is not good.

I'm not buying anything from ati, had bad experience with their shitty drivers and poor cards. I don't want to spend more than 200$ for a video card, well maybe 250$ but if it's only worth it.

You really think so? If that's the case then you don't know what you're talking about.

You don't NEED ATI's highest end card, it's completely overkill. If you were to pick up the 5890 you wouldn't need to upgrade it for years because there's nothing currently out that can even come close to maxing out the card.

As far as I know, at this point in time, ATI is the only one to have DX11 support, though I'm not 100% sure about that. However, Nvidia has only JUST started using GDDR5 RAM in their cards whereas ATI has had it for a couple of years at this point. On top of that, you can get a good ATI card for around $150-200.

For example: ATI Radeon 5850 1GB GDDR5: $250 CDN

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121349&Tpk=ati%205850

ATI Radeon 4870x2 1GB GDDR5: $200 CDN

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103082

Now for the Highest end card they currently have on the market:

ATI Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5 w/ Eyefinity technology and DX11 support: $420

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103084&Tpk=ati%20radeon%20hd%205870

That card is one that you wouldn't have to replace for years. It's more expensive than anything Nvidia has currently because Nvidia doesn't have anything equally as powerful as it. If you say that most of what ATI has is meant for Workstations then you're sadly mistaken. ATI has far more powerful cards right now than Nvidia does.

Of course, that's not to say that Nvidia won't release anything comparable since they're set to release their GT300 card this December. It will have DX11 support and, if they keep their well-known trend, will be released at a significantly lower price point than ATI's 5890 will be. However, there's no way to know for sure.

Suffice it to say, however, that ATI is months ahead of Nvidia at this point in time. It is possible to get a great ATI card for $200-250 CDN and to say that ATI is terrible is just laughable. I have an ATI Sapphire 4870 512MB GDDR5 in my PC and when I bought it I payed nearly $300 for it. That was 2 years ago and it's still going strong.

Oh, and as an afterthought, take a gander at this:

Nvidia Geforce GTX 295 1792MB GDDR3: $570 CDN

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143205

And some of the reviews:

Pros: new egg shipping was fast, 295 arrived quickly.

Cons: uninstalled old drivers, but couldn't get it to work.

Other Thoughts: I think I just received a bad card, Rma'd I wanted a exchange

but received a refund because they were out of stock.

computer display would artifact bad, after windows barely

started and would freeze every time. I wish card manufacture

would of tested card.

Pros: Looks solidly built

Cons: Dead on arrival, VGA BIOS POST failure

Missing DVI to HDMI adapter and SDIF cable

Customer support required 30 hold each time I called

Other Thoughts: Will try a replacement, but if the second one doesn't make me happy I will request refund.

Pros: Very solid product, obviously well put together. Everything came in the box that was stated. When hooked up it ran like a beast.

Cons: 1st card that came wouldn't run a game for more than a minute or so before crashing back to windows stating that the driver had stopped responding. RMA'd and got a new one a week later, worked immediately, no problems.

Also BFG tech support have never heard of this card as it is suposedly so new, so you cannot register it online, which means no limited lifetime warranty. I will be calling back to sort this out.

Other Thoughts: As for the other review left, he states "don't think for a second that you can run this on a 3.2 quad core", I am running this on a Phenom 9950 BE oc'ed to 3.1ghz and all is silky smooth. I get around 60 fps on farcry 2 full settings on 1080p resolution.

Hmm...

And some of the reviews:

Hmm...

That last review had a header that said "Great Card" and had 4/5 stars. The reviews dont matter. Anyone talking about video cards is talking from experience so you can't blame someone when they back a product because they've had a good experience with it. You can read reviews or just try try the damn product. And negative experiences happen with every product, so pointing them out like that means nothing.

That last review had a header that said "Great Card" and had 4/5 stars. The reviews dont matter. Anyone talking about video cards is talking from experience so you can't blame someone when they back a product because they've had a good experience with it. You can read reviews or just try try the damn product. And negative experiences happen with every product, so pointing them out like that means nothing.

You're just gonna have to excuse Llethander's rant.

The utter idiocy of Ruby's post must have disoriented him.