Sign in to follow this  
UnknownLegend

=(UV)= Weekly Digest vol. 4 [7.24.09]

I'm assuming jared wants to know what games/types of servers the new servers are going to be.

like tf2 servers or more wcs servers, blah blah blah

I'm assuming jared wants to know what games/types of servers the new servers are going to be.

like tf2 servers or more wcs servers, blah blah blah

that clears it up thank you

Guest NeverEndingXsin

who's teaching admin school? i know probably staff members. but which ones?

Guest NeverEndingXsin
We aren't sure right now.

We might have a rotation or something.

oh okay.

do all admins have to go through it? like ex-staff members?

Guest NeverEndingXsin
Possibly, at least once.

damnit.

then you can teach me :P hahahaha

Lol admin school. Still it does make sense because admins are the police of the gaming community so they need to go through "training" or some little reminder on what to do and how to do it on the servers.

I suggest redoing the training once every six months or something (assuming if it ever ends?) Just to keep everyone in-line.

Whoa. This is actually like, impressive. Not saying the other updates weren't but this one particularly made me realize this clan has got it together. o_o

I'm curious as to what makes a dedicated box good. Is it the hardware that it has? Or is it the connection speed? Say you took a single core cpu for 3 years ago, tossed it on a high speed (Not the high speed comcast advertised) connection, would it run smooth? Or is there a lot of hardware demands that come with a dedicated box? I just can't understand how a server could really put a whole lot of load on a cpu.

I'm curious as to what makes a dedicated box good. Is it the hardware that it has? Or is it the connection speed? Say you took a single core cpu for 3 years ago, tossed it on a high speed (Not the high speed comcast advertised) connection, would it run smooth? Or is there a lot of hardware demands that come with a dedicated box? I just can't understand how a server could really put a whole lot of load on a cpu.

I think it's rather the amount of servers and resources they use, it's not like we're only adding one rarely used scrim server, but rather 8 very active and demanding servers. Plus, the website, and I think the Ventrilo servers are also on the box, but they don't take up nearly as much as the game servers do, if anything at all. Plus, we're going to be adding two Team Fortress 2 servers to it as well.

TL;DR Processing 10 servers at once is not an easy task.

Thats kind of a loaded broad question there, so I guess I'll try and sum it up in parts.

Q: What makes a dedicated box "good"?

A: Hardware is the biggest equation to the problem, if your running sub-standard hardware you can't really put a heavy load on it without things lagging, studdering, or acting up. I'm sure you've experienced a server that glitches out on round starts (Zombie Escape anyone?) and thats usually related to super heavy CPU load. An ideal CPU load is ~50% on average, so you can burst the CPU when the CPU load has to increase for whatever reason in game. However a CPU that runs a server at 90% utilization all the time leaves very little head room for fluctuation. So you'll find the server performs poorly more than it performs to satisfaction.

Q: Is it the connection speed that makes a server "good"?

A: No, connection speed rarely has anything to do with it. However in UV's case it does, due to the volume of the servers and the population the servers constantly carry. If you have a server that has a 100mbit line, thats only ~12megabytes of bandwidth at any given time. While thats normally enough for a shared machine (Think Gameservers.com, they serve many servers to a machine, but they count on the fact that most of those servers are empty at any given time). While the "hope for empty" usually works, it doesn't work when the server is usually full. Once again, like in UV's case. You need extremely large amounts of bandwidth to service the users. So by upgrading to a 1000mbit line you are increasing you bandwidth by 10 times. Back to what I was saying about hardware, bandwidth is something you only want half maxed as well. You NEED the headroom for when things get full. When you work on averages that doesn't account for the outliers (High school math - and I said I never needed it pfft). So when you pound the connection, you see choke, loss, and overall bad latency.

Q: If you took a single core from 3 years ago and used that?

A: The answer really depends on "What are you using it for" if your using it for a 50 man Zombie server, the answer is "Hell No" it'll die. However if you were running a 12 man Scoutzknives than ya, it would be all good.

Q: I just don't really understand how a server can put that much load on a server?

A: Well in all honesty, the server UV had was never really good enough for what you wanted it for to begin with. I'm sure you've experienced lag or glitchiness in even the current UV servers. At the time though to get the latest and greatest hardware specs would have been absurdly expensive, and as weeks go by newer and greater hardware gets cheaper and more affordable. The hardware market is constantly changing, and constantly getting cheaper. Every day. Its simply natural evolution to take advantage of new technologies when the cost permits. It leads to a more enjoyable experience for everyone involved.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

tl;dr Hardware gets cheaper, so upgrade over time instead of spending a bunch of money in the beginning that isn't needed.

That made about as much sense I think it could without me actually being there to see how it all works and such. I've had little to none experience with servers, except for a few random moments when I ran a ultima online server for about a day on my old home computer.

But basically what you are saying is, I could take an old socket 939 amd chip, throw in the basic necessities, run it off a home cable internet line and run a 12 man server?

Sure, it just depends on your settings. Obviously you cant run something crazy, but you could run a pretty smooth scrim server if you wanted.

Sign in to follow this