Sign in to follow this  
subgunner

Life

One can have religion and still see the truth in science.Sure not all religions are open-minded but most people of average intelligence can form an opinion.Some religions can openly accept that the origins of the universe are not as any book or revelation states.I don't know how the universe started so I am open to the study of such things.Now just because someone says that math and science that we now understand it has an answer doesn't mean that it is 100% truth.I think that we will never really understand the universe enough to be able to say the we know just what happened in the first few moments of creation.As for man and his place in the universe I do belive that what man calls god was the creator.

A short understanding of deism.

Deism is a religious and philosophical belief that a supreme natural God exists and created the physical universe, and that religious truths can be arrived at by the application of reason and observation of the natural world. Deists generally reject the notion of supernatural revelation as a basis of truth or religious dogma. These views contrast with the dependence on divine revelation Deists typically reject most supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and tend to assert that God (or "The Supreme Architect") has a plan for the universe which he does not alter either by intervening in the affairs of human life or suspending the natural laws of the universe.

It would be very close minded to not think there is other life.

Some people are so opened minded that their brain has fallen out.

"We" can be so: θελω λανθανω

Some people are so opened minded that their brain has fallen out.

"We" can be so: θελω λανθανω

yeah.... but im not sure what those characters are....

yeah.... but im not sure what those characters are....
Greek. The first word means to will.

Yes these characters are Greek. The meaning of these Greek words are:

θελω = to will/willingly

λανθανω = without knowing/ignorant

Therefore, they mean to be “willingly ignorant†or loosely translated “stupid on purpose!†The concept is that we are sometimes stupid on purpose.

I wouldn't say willingly ignorant is the same as willingly stupid. Ignorance can be bliss, and to choose ignorance rather than satiating the curious child in us is sometimes the wiser choice.

I highly disagree. People as a group being willingly ignorant have caused the biggest problems in the world. Their false ideals cause stupidity to linger deep in their mind and cause conflicts over their beliefs and cause frustration to the ones in the know.

I highly disagree. People as a group being willingly ignorant have caused the biggest problems in the world. Their false ideals cause stupidity to linger deep in their mind and cause conflicts over their beliefs and cause frustration to the ones in the know.

Hit the nail right on the head!!!

Sounds like the ones who know are the ones with the problem then.

I'm not generalizing that to every situation; that would be stupid. But you and I both know you can't argue that there are not at least a handful of situations where ignorance would be better than knowing.

Real Christians or Fashionable Christians?

The former are a bunch of close minded asshats who shut out everything that doesn't coincide with the bible.

The latter are people who are Christians because society says it a popular thing, but they don't actually do anything to reinforce their faith (i.e. Church, prayer, reading the bible, etc.)

I am a former Christian who is definitely a firm believer in evolution now. The big bang is a bit sketchy to me, but even now there's evidence that it happened (i.e. the planets are slowly moving apart, indicating there was a huge explosion once.)

Please, if you would be so kind as to turn down that stereotype, my eardrums are killing me!

Sounds like the ones who know are the ones with the problem then.

I'm not generalizing that to every situation; that would be stupid. But you and I both know you can't argue that there are not at least a handful of situations where ignorance would be better than knowing.

Ok, in one sense I agree. I mean I certainly would not want to see my grandmother in the shower, I’d prefer to be ignorant of such things. However, I do disagree with your dichotomizing of the words ignorant and stupid. Both are practically the same.

Who let chronx and alf in debate and serious talk?

On topic: If Christian beliefs are correct, we are all inbred. I'd rather believe I was once a fucking awesome dragon.

Ok, in one sense I agree. I mean I certainly would not want to see my grandmother in the shower, I’d prefer to be ignorant of such things. However, I do disagree with your dichotomizing of the words ignorant and stupid. Both are practically the same.

I would say ignorance is not knowing, but stupidity is the inability to know/understand.

I would say ignorance is not knowing, but stupidity is the inability to know/understand.

If stupidity is to be strictly understood at all times to be the inability to know then the one who is stupid is ignorant as well because he would not know due to his inability.

So you're the open-minded one with a degree in Quantum Mechanics? Didn't think so, it's highly, extremely unlikely that there is life in other solar systems.

I would tend to agree. At least until further evidence can be substantiated.

If stupidity is to be strictly understood at all times to be the inability to know then the one who is stupid is ignorant as well because he would not know due to his inability.

Ah, but one who is ignorant does not necessarily have to be stupid as well.

I'm sure theres life out there, I don't support that "god theory" stuff. That in my opinion is pretty closed minded.

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Guest Fohacidal

This, honestly the argument is pretty stupid.

I see what u did thar. You're assuming stupid is the adjective to describe a person as a whole not just an idea, try thinking of it as a work to describe one or a few thoughts. For instance back in 1954 hardly and Americans could point out Vietnam on a map, now because of coverage and advances in technology they know. If the same people said "I don't care to know were it is", then that is stupidity.

I see what u did thar. You're assuming stupid is the adjective to describe a person as a whole not just an idea, try thinking of it as a work to describe one or a few thoughts. For instance back in 1954 hardly and Americans could point out Vietnam on a map, now because of coverage and advances in technology they know. If the same people said "I don't care to know were it is", then that is stupidity.

Which Vietnam, north or south? They weren't unified until 1976, after the Vietnamese civil war ended :)

Your example sounds more like willful ignorance than stupidity, and of course you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I'm just using the dictionary definitions of the words to form my opinion, but both words are indeed subjective terms, which means they are open to interpretation.

You know vietnam was just a conspiracy of American Population control right? My geography class on Demographics linked WW2, Viet and Korea towards the understanding of Populations.

After WW1 approx 20 years ( a new generation), a whole bunch of wariors were brought up young and eager to fight against the west.

Viet approx. 20 years (one generation after WW2) was used as an excuse for population control for the baby boomers after WW2. Sorry guys but it makes sense enough that a whole bunch were drafted.

You get the idea each war also involves money as well ie. Iraq is linked to desert storm in Kuwait (OIL!) Americas charge into ww2 because they got owned and they lost an arms dealer (selling arms to germany lol).

Which Vietnam, north or south? They weren't unified until 1976, after the Vietnamese civil war ended :)

Your example sounds more like willful ignorance than stupidity, and of course you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I'm just using the dictionary definitions of the words to form my opinion, but both words are indeed subjective terms, which means they are open to interpretation.

Actually it was a whole nation until 1941 when Ho Chi Minh (sp?) desegregated it from French and Japanese occupation. To this day it still isn't unified, they were under one flag that year for the Olympics but only because of the cease-fire.