Sign in to follow this  
subgunner

Life

I'm always open to new ideas, but I do hate people who believe that their ideas are the right ones without having any proof. I'm more scientifically minded, as religion did not play a major role in my upbringing. I'd like to believe in life elsewhere in the universe, but I know that finding evidence/making contact with them would be wayyyy behind almost any generation.

The discovery channels special says that according to a mathematical equation that there are over 1million advanced civilizations in the milky way alone.

When I made this thread I thought it died and now its 3 pages but in another sense it died.

The discovery channels special says that according to a mathematical equation that there are over 1million advanced civilizations in the milky way alone.

When I made this thread I thought it died and now its 3 pages but in another sense it died.

No it said if every galaxy was like our solar system. Even then that was just an assumption.

…When I made this thread I thought it died and now its 3 pages but in another sense it died.

Let’s see if we can’t resurrect this thread. Maybe if I stir the bees nest something might happen.

When dealing with cosmology we are working with very limited observational data. Only within the last say 80 years or so that distant galaxies have been observable. In all likelihood even what we at present can empirically observe may only add up to a tiny fraction of the universe as a whole. Therefore, drawing conclusions about the whole universe even if they are general ones necessitates the need for theoretical assumptions. Throw into the mix the history of the universe and the problem compounds the more. The best we can do is make inferences from present data (basically in the form of light rays) coupled with preconceived assumptions. To put icing on the cake, the empirical data is decipherable in various ways. Which means that while astronomers are all looking at the same universe the data received is understood or interpreted in different ways; mainly due to the preconceived philosophical and religious beliefs. Clay says:

Real Christians…are a bunch of close minded asshats who shut out everything that doesn't coincide with the bible.

Are we to believe that Scientist are any better? That is the problem with Americans, we believe that the average Joe can be wrong due to some prior philosophical belief, but that scientist somehow are immune to bias assumptions. In reality in the realm of science, facts and philosophy tend to get meshed together as one. Hence, certain things are pawned off as facts when in fact they are simply someone‘s interpretation of the facts. Even worse, other possible and legitimate opinions are dogmatically rejected without a proper hearing. The bottom line to all this, is that evidence ceases to become the criteria of objective scientific truth because the interpretation or philosophical belief is placed as a fact. Scientists tend to see what they want to see! The reasons for this are because they are not perfectly objective. They bring with them ideas and concepts which they learned either as a child, from school, or from experience. These sentiments are not exclusively my own, for Evolutionist Roger Lewin expressed:

And scientist, contrary to the myth that they themselves publicly promulgate, are emotional human beings who carry a generous dose of subjectivity with them into the supposedly “objective search for the Truthâ€â€¦The anonymous aphorism, “I wouldn’t have seen it if I hadn’t believed it†is a continuing truth in science. And of course, it cuts two ways: you often see what you expect to see and not what you don’t. (Lewin, Roger,
Bones of Contention
Ney York, Simon & Schuster, 1987, 18-19)

Some scientist say they see evidence where others just as trained as they, see none. This is so true and relates to Has Christian Anderson‘s fable precisely (The Emperors New Clothes).

To understand this problem we must understand what science is. The word “science†comes from the Latin scientia and basically means in general knowledge. Today in the 19th and 20th centuries it is attributed to the process used in attaining knowledge. For example, former president of Harvard, Dr. James B. Conant defines science as, “…an interconnected series of concepts and conceptual schemes that have developed as a result of experimentation and observation, and are fruitful of further experimentation and observations.†(Conant, James B. Science and Common Sense New Haven: Yale University Press, 1951, 25). To this we could add the words of Helena Curtis, who says that observations and experiments, “…must always be reported in such a way that they can be repeated and verified, and must always be repeated and verified before they are incorporated into the body of knowledge.†(Curtis, Helena Biology New York: Wortn Publishers, 1975, 12). Thus, we can see from these two definitions that science has characteristic confines to it. In other words, it has certain limitations. First there is the limitation of sensory perception (Sight, sound, touch, taste, and smell). As noted above science deals with empirical or observational data and as such is restricted to our human senses. Second, science only deals with the present in respect to time. No one can test for example the Civil War scientifically; for it can not be repeated. Thirdly science is limited in that it cannot tells us why things are the way they are. It can only tell us how things work. Fourthly, science can only work with matter; no one can take metaphysical ideas like the existence of angels and stick them in a test tube. Last, but certainly not least, science is limited to things that are repeatable. Can anyone reproduce the Big Bang? I think not!

This is why I said that we can be stupid on purpose. Because we sometimes see what we want to see and we don’t see what we don’t want to see. You see, if we do not look then we can please ignorance without lying. Junzou disputed my use of words, but even he came around to acknowledge.

…but both words are indeed subjective terms, which means they are open to interpretation.

That being the case, why in the world did we ever have the discussion over these two words? Notice carefully that I originally said “loosely translatedâ€; this phrase indicates candidly that I was not taking the strictest sense of both words. Again, in general they are the same! So let’s be done with it!

You (subgunner) said:

Did you know we all have a common ancestor? Somewhere several light years away. A star went supernova and gave our planet the nitrogen and oxygen to start up life? Basically a dead star somewhere out there is our ultimate grandaddy that basically died (not biologically) in order to grant our life.

Some asteroid and/or comet crashed into our planet or was involved in the forming of our planet to give us our water.

By random chance the earth was placed just in the right spot in our solar system. Then life began on earth.

Now all it took was time, the ultimate destroyer of worlds and the giver of life.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Could all of this happen somewhere else? Maybe it already has or maybe it hasnt happened yet.

What if life existed before us or right now, but is unfortunately being obliterated by a large asteroid or a comet. ( Asteroids and comets start up life and unfortunately can end it.) What if a nearby star several lightyears away goes supernova and then irradiates all planets in a several lightyear radius?

Maybe a planet does have life and is just like earth? Maybe life is just a fluke and we shouldn't exist at all?

Post your comments here about life and how it may start up and end on planets like our own.

*remember! Microbials are life forms as well and are the starters for intelligent life!

* the other thead died so im making a new one! xd

* there are trillions of stars in each galaxy and each one can easily have a solar system take the numbers in hand and think about it. Lets all take it from a skeptical point of view people. Just using knowledge that I have given you and stuff that you know to add to the pile.

* there are also an infinite amount of galaxies lol. ( cause whos going to count them all as well galaxy are still being created)

* The universe itself is somewhere between 12-14 billion years old which is not that long. ( I dont give the fuck is 12 billion plus years old thats really young and believe it!) So once again time is a factor whether or not life can exist or hasnt existed yet. Other then ours.

* besides that the galaxy is a beautiful place with many natural wonders. Take a look on the web and tv specials lol

My answer is that yes. There is other life

What does every one think about this? Is this theory (even though he uses the word “knowâ€) feasible? Is there life out there? Madbagel said:

I agree with you, I'm pretty sure there's life out there, even most Christians do, I believe.

In one sense Christians do. We believe in the existence of a living God as well as angles fallen and un-fallen. In the Christian paradigm we are not alone in the universe. As to little green men on Mars, though I cannot disprove them, I highly doubt they exist.

Guest Fohacidal
You know vietnam was just a conspiracy of American Population control right? My geography class on Demographics linked WW2, Viet and Korea towards the understanding of Populations.

After WW1 approx 20 years ( a new generation), a whole bunch of wariors were brought up young and eager to fight against the west.

Viet approx. 20 years (one generation after WW2) was used as an excuse for population control for the baby boomers after WW2. Sorry guys but it makes sense enough that a whole bunch were drafted.

You get the idea each war also involves money as well ie. Iraq is linked to desert storm in Kuwait (OIL!) Americas charge into ww2 because they got owned and they lost an arms dealer (selling arms to germany lol).

Dumbest post ever

Guest Fohacidal
Please use grammar. You need a subject for the preposition, in other words... who the fuck is he?

Who is who and why does it matter?

How does any of this shit effect your everyday life?

With that frame of mind all the worlds greatest minds wasted a shit load of time.

Gay thread, i know all about these fucking threads, fucking bullshit, all of us just can't come to terms where we can agree on your opinion on how life started, enough with this bullshit man, this is the internet, i fucking can't even rap on this forum because it's the internet, FUCK.

Gay thread, i know all about these fucking threads, fucking bullshit, all of us just can't come to terms where we can agree on your opinion on how life started, enough with this bullshit man, this is the internet, i fucking can't even rap on this forum because it's the internet, FUCK.

Maybe others will find an answer that they have been asking them selfs. I for one enjoy this type of thread.

How does any of this shit effect your everyday life?

and please don't talk in fucking Greek

It gives me "מקוה." There I did not used Greek. Hint: what I did use is what an orthodox Jew reads their Testament in.

Well I tried to tanslate an english phrase into french and it was out of wack in the grammar. It makes sense when you literally translate it, but it doesnt make sense to people that actually speak french lol.

Are we to believe that Scientist are any better? That is the problem with Americans, we believe that the average Joe can be wrong due to some prior philosophical belief, but that scientist somehow are immune to bias assumptions. In reality in the realm of science, facts and philosophy tend to get meshed together as one. Hence, certain things are pawned off as facts when in fact they are simply someone‘s interpretation of the facts. Even worse, other possible and legitimate opinions are dogmatically rejected without a proper hearing. The bottom line to all this, is that evidence ceases to become the criteria of objective scientific truth because the interpretation or philosophical belief is placed as a fact.

I never said science was infallible.

Scientists tend to see what they want to see!

And the headstrong members of their various religions don't?

I think you should check out a show called Morel Orel. At first glance it could be pawned off as another one of Adult Swim's stoner comedy shows, but it's pretty dead on about religion.

Religion was invented to explain the world as we know it today back in ancient times and was based on speculation or is it?

Science on the other hand is religion based on modern times based on research and speculation.

Both have guesses in them and members of both are headstrong in what they believe in. Still without the science of electricity,engineering, and mathematics we wouldn't have computers now to post this reply would we? ( Yes I am headstrong about science.)

I'm sure theres life out there, I don't support that "god theory" stuff. That in my opinion is pretty closed minded.

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

I'm with you on this one.