Sign in to follow this  
*DEAD*

How many of you Dual-Boot? If so, is it a good thing or just a waste of time?

Basically im just getting into dual boot. Windows bores me so I decided to start dual booting. I figure keep Vista on my desktop, use the Shrink Volume to make a new Partition, then install uBuntu 8.04. Or a different linux if any of you think another one is better. Then on my netbook basically do the same. But that one has XP, so ill just have to use the uBuntu live CD to repartition it :D

So is it really worth it? The sight of Windows is really annoying me and ive been wanting to get used to linux for awhile now but I dont want to make 1 PC just linux if I cant understand it then basically have a PC in which I cannot use.

Also, like if any of you use linux, which one would you recommend for my desktop? Im pretty much set on ubuntu remix, linpus, or OSX for my netbook because it isnt a power pc lol.

I would say yes, If you have a dual boot and you end up not liking unbuntu you can always just go to windows instead, When you turn on your comp you get a menu to choose between whatever OS's you have installed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shippo @ May 30 2009, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I would say yes, If you have a dual boot and you end up not liking unbuntu you can always just go to windows instead, When you turn on your comp you get a menu to choose between whatever OS's you have installed

I worked on ubuntu before. I enjoy it, but i also like opensuse and debian but im gonna stick with ubuntu for now for training I guess.

I might install OSX on my laptop with a XP dualboot but idk if i should do that. I heard its illegal to use OSX on PCs other than macs lol.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (*DEAD* @ May 30 2009, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I worked on ubuntu before. I enjoy it, but i also like opensuse and debian but im gonna stick with ubuntu for now for training I guess.

I might install OSX on my laptop with a XP dualboot but idk if i should do that. I heard its illegal to use OSX on PCs other than macs lol.

If you're going to try and use OSX on your PC, make sure your hardware is compatible.

I had a hard time getting my video card to work with it, because it was ATi, and nobody really made kexts(i think?) for my card.

Intel and Nvidia hardware will pretty much guarantee OSX to work on your PC.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pinoy @ May 31 2009, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

If you're going to try and use OSX on your PC, make sure your hardware is compatible.

I had a hard time getting my video card to work with it, because it was ATi, and nobody really made kexts(i think?) for my card.

Intel and Nvidia hardware will pretty much guarantee OSX to work on your PC.

Well I decided not to use OSX. I saw a boot-up time of it on youtube when it was one the Aspire One netbook, and I wasnt too happy to see it lag a lot.

BUT! I did dual-boot my desktop and my netbook with ubuntu. God i am in love with ubuntu. Only thing I use Vista for is when I want to upload stuff to my ipod touch. And XP is now pretty much useless on my netbook because the wireless dont work since the ubuntu installation. But Wifi does work in ubuntu lol.

Just overall enjoy linux. But now I have to figure out have to install games and put it to the test by playing Counter-strike!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (*DEAD* @ Jun 1 2009, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Well I decided not to use OSX. I saw a boot-up time of it on youtube when it was one the Aspire One netbook, and I wasnt too happy to see it lag a lot.

BUT! I did dual-boot my desktop and my netbook with ubuntu. God i am in love with ubuntu. Only thing I use Vista for is when I want to upload stuff to my ipod touch. And XP is now pretty much useless on my netbook because the wireless dont work since the ubuntu installation. But Wifi does work in ubuntu lol.

Just overall enjoy linux. But now I have to figure out have to install games and put it to the test by playing Counter-strike!

I didn't know you were going to use a laptop, let alone a netbook.

The videos vary though. If you had the time I'd try it myself, and see if you like it or not.

As for Steam on linux, it's a tossup.

I got it to work, but got shit FPS even with DX8.1.