Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChosenOne2000

Medical Professional Thread

So, I can only think of two doctors in the clan. We have a cardiology resident (MD) and a PsyD/psychiatry resident (PMHNP...me). There are things I wish I'd knew before jumping into medicine 17 years ago. I wonder if we can turn this thread into an sG medical student forum. This can be a place for things about the profession you can't learn (reliably) from Google or Wiki. Maybe we can help clan members make informed decisions about their future medical careers. 

If not, at least I tried to bring life back to the forums...

If only my sister had any interest in games she would probably have loved to see this thread or at least talk to you. 

She was studying to become a neurosurgeon but had a pretty bad hand accident in just her first year of college cutting a bagel and sliced a couple of tendons in her hand leaving her without her full grip strength pretty much killing her dream of becoming a neurosurgeon. She has however since then switched down the patch of becoming a psychologist. I might reach out to her and ask if she has any questions she'd like to ask since although your professions aren't the same they are in the general field of mental health.

I'm currently a pre med student double majoring in psych and kinesiology (I already had quite a bit of kinesiology credits from high school so I might as well). I was just curious as a pre med, they want you to get experience in the field. What is the best jobs or opportunities to look for? On top of that I want to potentially do emergency medicine as a physician or do more of a clinical setting for neurology or rheumatology for pediatrics. How do you recommend getting experience there to decide what areas I want to go for? @ChosenOne2000

On 5/20/2021 at 9:13 AM, Rock said:

If only my sister had any interest in games she would probably have loved to see this thread or at least talk to you. 

She was studying to become a neurosurgeon but had a pretty bad hand accident in just her first year of college cutting a bagel and sliced a couple of tendons in her hand leaving her without her full grip strength pretty much killing her dream of becoming a neurosurgeon. She has however since then switched down the patch of becoming a psychologist. I might reach out to her and ask if she has any questions she'd like to ask since although your professions aren't the same they are in the general field of mental health.

There are MANY avenues to take in the mental health and neurology field. Most don't involve much use of your hands (typing lots of clinical notes is the majority use of our hands). Tell her to reach out.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I'm currently a pre med student double majoring in psych and kinesiology (I already had quite a bit of kinesiology credits from high school so I might as well). I was just curious as a pre med, they want you to get experience in the field. What is the best jobs or opportunities to look for? On top of that I want to potentially do emergency medicine as a physician or do more of a clinical setting for neurology or rheumatology for pediatrics. How do you recommend getting experience there to decide what areas I want to go for? @ChosenOne2000

For a premed who wants to do psychiatry, community mental health, outpatient clinics, state hospitals, etc will give you plenty of experience. Prior to specializing. I did my shadowing in child and adolescent psych, addiction medicine, and neurology for traumatic brain injury. For anything outside of psych, I'm going to defer to @fontaineMD. 

19 hours ago, ChosenOne2000 said:

There are MANY avenues to take in the mental health and neurology field. Most don't involve much use of your hands (typing lots of clinical notes is the majority use of our hands). Tell her to reach out.

Ya I'll definitely try and see if she would like to get in contact with you, I think it would be a pretty nice boost for her.