Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ironic

What happened to my PC?

Hello gamers,

So I know there's a lot more people on here who knows a lot more about PC's than me or any of my friends, so I have a question.

Long story short, my PC was working fine one night, and then the next night and next 5-6 days after, it wouldn't turn on. Motherboard wouldn't respond, nothing. The only thing I could think of was the that same day where I was trying to get on and play, my dad and I were doing remodels on my new house. Due to the breaker box not being labeled correctly, and us having to disable some power, we had to flip on and off almost every breaker in the house. My PC was plugged into technically 2 surge protectors, one actually in the outlet, and then a power strip surge protector, while it was also off the whole time. (FYI, my roommate's PC was plugged in too and his has been absolutely fine) Then that night, I tried to get on and game with some friends, and my PC wouldn't turn on. Had a friend come over to help, pretty much we tried different outlets (yes all of them were getting power), unplugged everything from my PC, plugged it back in, tried my extra power supply I had, tried "draining the power out of my PC", then plugging it back in, and nothing. My RGB fans wouldn't turn on, nothing. Pretty much sounded like my motherboard was fried because nothing would respond to me hitting the power button. I ended up getting an appointment setup with Geek Squad to see what they could do. Every day till that appointment, I'd trying to turn on my PC a few times, and nothing. Then, the exact day of my appointment, my PC actually kicked on....

I plugged everything back into it, and it wouldn't boot up BIOS or anything. So, I still took it to Geek Squad. They were able to boot it into BIOS (I may have just been doing it wrong or something?), and then later on they were able to launch Windows. They tested all my parts, and everything was working fine. They couldn't explain to me why it just didn't work for 5-6 days like it was.

Just curious if anyone here has any idea to why this happened. Not sure if my PC just got overloaded or underloaded with power or something and needed a break? I have no idea. Obviously I don't want this to happen to my PC again lol, it was kind of a boring 5 days without being able to game on my PC haha.

Have you tried removing the RAM and slowly taking out each individual part then turning it on?

Based on what you've said it doesn't sound like it's the Motherboard, or your entire system won't turn on. 

Also if you're using a power strip the chances of a failure from a surge are pretty low.

edit: based on what ive read it literally sounds like your ram or something wasnt seated correctly. 

2 hours ago, Sandy said:

Have you tried removing the RAM and slowly taking out each individual part then turning it on?

Based on what you've said it doesn't sound like it's the Motherboard, or your entire system won't turn on. 

Also if you're using a power strip the chances of a failure from a surge are pretty low.

edit: based on what ive read it literally sounds like your ram or something wasnt seated correctly. 

I will say I didn't try each individual part. The only 2 in specific I tried was my power supply, and my graphics card. But one of the first things I did do was take out each part (besides CPU), and put them all back in, and still nothing.

Then it sat for about 5 days, kept trying and it wouldn't turn on (not even my RGB fans, which even if something was messed up with my RAM, wouldn't the fans still come on?). Then after 5 days, it just randomly turned on. Geek Squad tested all my parts and said all my parts were good.

Edit: My entire system didn't turn on was the problem, making it seem like the motherboard was fried, but then 5 days later it turned on 

31 minutes ago, Ironic said:

I will say I didn't try each individual part. The only 2 in specific I tried was my power supply, and my graphics card. But one of the first things I did do was take out each part (besides CPU), and put them all back in, and still nothing.

Then it sat for about 5 days, kept trying and it wouldn't turn on (not even my RGB fans, which even if something was messed up with my RAM, wouldn't the fans still come on?). Then after 5 days, it just randomly turned on. Geek Squad tested all my parts and said all my parts were good.

Edit: My entire system didn't turn on was the problem, making it seem like the motherboard was fried, but then 5 days later it turned on 

Ok! Do you think its possible that the switch inside your computer for power to have come loose and been faulty at all? And yeah the fans would turn on for about 3s then the entire computer would fail to boot.

maxresdefault.jpg

unrelated question :Also this might be random, but when you log into your bios does it say it has been reset?

2 hours ago, Sandy said:

Ok! Do you think its possible that the switch inside your computer for power to have come loose and been faulty at all? And yeah the fans would turn on for about 3s then the entire computer would fail to boot.

maxresdefault.jpg

unrelated question :Also this might be random, but when you log into your bios does it say it has been reset?

Honestly I don't think so, I mean it could be possible? But besides unplugging and plugging everything back in, I didn't mess with the switches at all. Then 5 days later it just started working again.

I haven't logged into bios since it was taken into Geek Squad, but I dont remember it saying that when they logged into bios. It did automatically log into bios when it finally started working again, then they had to change the launch format to be able to launch my windows back up. But since then I haven't had to log into bios.

Edit: I also tried my backup (which I know works)/extra power supply from my old PC when all this started happening. I unplugged my current power supply from the motherboard, plugged the old one in, and it still didn't turn on from using the other power supply.

33 minutes ago, Ironic said:

Honestly I don't think so, I mean it could be possible? But besides unplugging and plugging everything back in, I didn't mess with the switches at all. Then 5 days later it just started working again.

I haven't logged into bios since it was taken into Geek Squad, but I dont remember it saying that when they logged into bios. It did automatically log into bios when it finally started working again, then they had to change the launch format to be able to launch my windows back up. But since then I haven't had to log into bios.

Edit: I also tried my backup (which I know works)/extra power supply from my old PC when all this started happening. I unplugged my current power supply from the motherboard, plugged the old one in, and it still didn't turn on from using the other power supply.

ok its just possible to accidently unplug the switches when moving your pc, ive had it happen a couple of times.

Its honestly starting to sound like your mobo. 

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Its honestly starting to sound like your mobo. 

Yeah, that's what me and all my friends think too. Just weird that it sounded like it was fried for like 5 days, then started working again? Idk, hopefully it doesn't happen again though lol

On 4/26/2021 at 8:27 PM, Ironic said:

Yeah, that's what me and all my friends think too. Just weird that it sounded like it was fried for like 5 days, then started working again? Idk, hopefully it doesn't happen again though lol

Yeah, hopefully.

Im really not sure what else it could be. 

On 4/28/2021 at 10:23 PM, Sandy said:

Yeah, hopefully.

Im really not sure what else it could be. 

All good.

Yeah, the guys at Geek Squad said the same thing. Just didn't know if anyone here might have any idea.. Haha I swear I'm not lying, the motherboard just straight up didn't work for about 5 days.

But hopefully it's all good from now on.

On 4/30/2021 at 4:42 PM, Ironic said:

All good.

Yeah, the guys at Geek Squad said the same thing. Just didn't know if anyone here might have any idea.. Haha I swear I'm not lying, the motherboard just straight up didn't work for about 5 days.

But hopefully it's all good from now on.

Just wanted to give an update on what actually happened.

So, a couple days ago this same exact thing happen. What caused it though was my roommate accidently knocking my PC's power cord from the wall outlet, and of course my PC was on, and so it forced it to shut off. Just like last time, my PC wouldn't turn on and respond. So I went back through, checked all my parts, power supply, etc. Well the next day I AGAIN turned it into Geek Squad to see if they can figure it out. The guy went through a few tests, nothing worked. So he decided just to take out my motherboard's coin-cell battery to let all the charge out of the system. Well wammy, it worked. Once he put everything back together, she started up again.

So we figured what's probably happening is when my PC gets forced to shut off (like unplugging it, messing with the breaker box, etc) for some reason the motherboard will have a shit ton of electrical charge and so it doesn't want to respond or turn on till it's drained. So if this ever happens again, I can either remove the coin-cell battery for a bit, or let the computer rest for a few days.  

@Sandy