Sign in to follow this  
Serif The Sheriff

Repopping War3

Not sure how many times people have tried to do this but after reading through the forums a little it sounds like on a couple of occasions people have tried to pop War3 again to no avail. And I am not sure what the attitude was for people those other times since I wasn't around, but this time at least it sounds like we have a decent handful that really want it popped again and are wanting to do their part in popping it which is good. But most of us know that the server has struggled with low pop for quite awhile now for a lot of different reasons and I think that if we are going to repop the server and make it last there is going to have to be more going on than just trying to rely on the regulars hopping in and sending out invites to everyone every day. So below are some ideas that I think can help with popping the server and keeping it popped. (I know Face is on vacation or something so I know this could all be stuff that it delayed until he gets back)

1) War3 is Back Event: I think having an event to sort of announce the return of the server and people wanting to have it popped could help get an initial boost of people back. Plan it for some weekend and have double XP and maybe even a couple of prizes (this has always helped boost pop in the past for at least a little while).

2) Special weekdays/weekends: Having a monthly double XP weekend could potentially keep people coming back month after month helping with the longevity of the server. One thing my old server started doing that was pretty popular was having what we called "Bounty Weekends" once or twice a month where a specific category of race was selected (undead, elvish, knife, pistol, dragon, etc...) and anyone playing those races got an xp boost for playing them, but then killing anyone playing those races gave a cash bonus for "collecting bounties". Maybe introduce something like "Wish Wednesdays" where on Wednesdays Wishes are free to everyone for the whole day (just an idea, people can brainstorm on other ideas like that as long as they aren't anything too crazy).

3) BOTS!: This is something that I have brought up several times before and will probably continue to bring it up, but while reading through a handful of the other forum posts about repopping, and then just from talking to other people about them wanting to play the server again, a lot of people have said that if they see the server with 0-2/20 pop they won't join and will move on to something else for awhile, but if they see it at 6+/20 then they will for sure hop on. Being that first person to hop into the server while it's empty in an attempt to pop it can suck sometimes and it isn't very fun, before I took a break from CS:GO I was one of those people that would do that and would sometimes sit on the server for over an hour waiting for others to get on and sending out invites. When you're the person trying to pop the server you literally just sit there with nothing to do for the duration of your time in the server until someone else joins, no way to get money, no way to get xp, no way to do anything meaningful that makes it worth your time sitting there. I firmly believe that if we were to add 4-6 bots to the server that give limited xp it would help keep the pop up more consistently because then the people joining in to get things popped would at least be able to play and level up some races or do something while they wait for others to join and having those slots filled makes people way more likely to join in and stay a bit without having to worry about things dying out. You can also lock the bots to a bot specific race so they don't get something stupid strong to play in low pop. I think adding bots, more than anything else, is something that should be seriously discussed and maybe even have a poll about to see how people feel about it. 

4) Help Face: I am not sure who else does a whole lot on the server, or in what capacity they work on the server, but as far as I know the vast brunt of it is Face and when he takes breaks from the server it's almost like a stand still as far as things getting worked on, fixed, things getting added (I apologize for anyone who works on the server that disagrees with this statement and contributes more than what people may realize, myself included). If people are serious about keeping the server popped and giving people reasons to stay on the server I think people should step up where possible to help Face and take some of the load off (obviously there is still a certain process to this within the clan itself that people would have to go through) whether it's with fixing maps, adding maps, helping with race bugs, adding/balancing races, general coding of the server, running more events, etc... But we can't just always rely on our Lord and Savior Face to be around to try and single handedly (again, I know there are others who work to support the server and keep it going, just not sure in what capacity so don't take any offense to this lol) save the server and keep things going.

5) Invite Friends: There are some people that already do this, and this is something that has always been done on the server, but if you are someone that currently doesn't do this and you want the server to be popped this can be a good way to do so. Even if it's just inviting other regulars you are friends with it can help in case they saw the server empty earlier and didn't join, but receiving notification that it's popping could get them to join. Inviting other people that aren't regulars can still be helpful though, if you have any friends that play CS:GO but have never been on the server invite them, or if you have friends that like class-based Shooters but don't play much CS:GO see if they might give it a try, the more people we can get into the server the better. 

If people have any other ideas or suggestions this can hopefully be a place to post and talk about them as we try get the server popped like it used to be and bring War3 back to the glory days.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:18 PM, zebra said:

16K BETS

BRING BACK BOOKS

REVERT CASH TRANSFER CHANGES

UNNERF STAFF CASH

MAKE WAR3 GREAT AGAIN

Make war3 more fun again. Perma Ban all the idiots who try to loophole war3

Edited by infested marine

On 2/1/2020 at 9:18 PM, zebra said:

16K BETS

BRING BACK BOOKS

UNNERF STAFF CASH

MAKE WAR3 GREAT AGAIN

This.
I'm not here for a painful grind. I just want to play fun races and try to find expertise bonuses.
Playing unmaxed races for hours on end doesn't feel rewarding.
War3 is the only thing I do with sG outside of the occasional Funday, but staff cash and cash transfer keeps things exciting and promotes positive interaction between players.

Also, I agree with Serif on a bot implementation and weekly XP/cash events. We need incentives to keep a busy server.

Hey folks,

I know I wasn't the most loved player on the server back in the day, but here's my $0.02. Take it or leave it.

I started on war3 with =(UV)= back in '06. I think what initially drew people to the server was that it was different from vanilla while still being easily accessible. Not to depreciate Face's valuable work/input, but the constant addition of races and items made it continually less accessible to new players and catered more to war3 vets. Maybe y'all should try and get back to the roots of war3; fewer races, fewer items(keep necklace of immunity for Serif and his NE =P). This would make it easier to maintain the server and avoid the crashes caused by all the interacting abilities. Focus on user experience and rewards based on player performance, not play time. Also, and I know this won't be a popular idea, but it would probably be best to reset all levels/exp. You could still grant enough initial exp for a newbie to fully level one race, but essentially force everyone to start from scratch.

Burn it all down, and let it rise again like a phoenix from the ashes.

I've got responsibilities in my life that prevent me from playing like I used to, so I won't get there with you, but I'm happy knowing that the next generation of war3 vets are still out there striving to revive the glory days.

Happy hunting,

pug

Edited by pug
a word

As someone who has put a lot of time into wc3 and wcs back in the CS:S days I'm honestly not averse to this idea. I never got 100% race completion but now that the server is back up I have been working towards it again. There are a few issues with this I see though.

Currently, the population is 95%+ veterans. People who have put hundreds to thousands of hours into war3. Ghoul literally has one race almost to level 600. By resetting levels that population would likely drop drastically. There are a lot of people who have put hundreds of hours into singular races, myself included. Losing the expertises from those alone would likely lose us dozens of players.

But, that is not the biggest issue with this. The biggest issue is that, without hundreds of hours of development, a complete reset would not help the server for new players more than it would hurt it for vets. There would have to be a massive restructure, where a few dozen new, interesting races are implemented and hundreds removed(if we are going off of pugs suggestion.) Would this work? Potentially. I'm sure a lot of veterans would stick around and play from level 0 to place and max new races, earn new expertises just due to nostalgia. But this is a lot of time and effort for a maybe.

There are ways to simplify the server. But I'm not sure if that should be the goal. CS:GO as a game is nearing it's 8th anniversary. Source 2 is on the horizon. Game patches that break plugins and war3 are not uncommon. Before we start asking how we increase the population and attract new players, we should ask if it's worth it. Is the CS:GO community big enough to get that kind of traction? Trying to revitalize a server with new players is a very dangerous investment that could potentially not be worth it. 

I'm all for change and I would personally really enjoy a fresh start with new races and a bunch of old ones removed. But that's not what would be best for the server at this point IMO. Enough development hours have been put into this server that a restart would be risky at best, detrimental at worst.

EDIT:

For the sake of talking about what everyone else posted about, after talking to Face, I understand the changes to cash as it was abusable and no one can honestly be trusted not to abuse it. I wouldn't be against making xp more accessible via double xp weekends or something similar. I haven't put a lot of thought into that so there are probably better ways that could improve the quality of leveling up if that's what everyone wants. The biggest issue with certain features is it being abusable. If the community can come up with features that aren't insanely difficult to implement, wouldn't break the server/make it not worth playing and would be something everyone enjoys then start thinking. Don't just demand a bunch of shit that was removed to be added back. Come up with new ways to get what you want.

Edited by Smash

On 2/8/2020 at 12:24 AM, pug said:

I know I wasn't the most loved player on the server back in the day

You were the greatest knife race player the server had ever seen, there will never be another pug, no one will ever make me spam my entangle the same way ever again :(

It's one thing if there's a big "event" (think Halloween, 4th of July, etc.) which is great for the short term where the server stays popped and hopefully there might be some overflow into the following days and weeks as people remember "oh WC3 is fun I should continue to add this game into my rotation." 

I think the main problem is how to keep it popped consistently and it's a matter of finding that balance between not giving away too much but still finding a way to incentivize you to come back again and again.  How's that work?...well the first thing that comes to mind is some apps have promotions for logging in every day...like first day you get 1x pts, 2nd day you get 2x pts, etc. where once you miss a day, you lose out on whatever bonus multiplier you worked your way up to and you have to start from scratch the next time you log in.  This incentivizes you wanting/needing to sign in again and again.  Obviously we don't want people just joining the server to collect/maintain their bonus/multiplier then leaving but you can limit the reward going to people that maybe play X amount of time (not afk) and get X amount of kills each day to qualify for the daily or weekly bonus.  This can be tweeked where maybe the requirement is play once every 3 days or you have 3 days to meet the time played/kills goal or it can even be a weekly goal.  I know I personally don't have time any more to play every single day but if you get enough people to commit X number of hours a week the server pop will be a lot healthier.  

Another idea is to incentivize and promote the most popular/peak hours of the day...so someone sees the server is empty at 6PM and they join knowing they'll get [insert incentive here] once the server gets up to [X people], or maybe if 4 - 6 players are in the game they get X....basically the logic behind this is once the server has half a dozen players in it, especially during peak hours, it will fill up much easier.  The goal isn't to have the server populated 24/7 as that's nearly impossible to achieve...the goal is to have it populated when most people are available to play and want to play.  

The bottom line is figuring out what incentives people really want and using that to come up with a system that is sustainable long term.  Regulars have different wants/needs than new players whether that's XP or even some control over ROTD.  If you want to keep new people then maybe give them some sort of bonus they actually understand besides XP...give them 10% more damage or more 10% more HP or something somewhat tangible that they can wrap their minds around while they figure out how the game works...then as they level up they lose that initial buff and instead get the benefits of whatever classes they're leveling like everyone else.

On 2/1/2020 at 9:18 PM, zebra said:

16K BETS

BRING BACK BOOKS

UNNERF STAFF CASH

MAKE WAR3 GREAT AGAIN

On 2/3/2020 at 1:33 AM, Neospawn said:

This.
I'm not here for a painful grind. I just want to play fun races and try to find expertise bonuses.
Playing unmaxed races for hours on end doesn't feel rewarding.
War3 is the only thing I do with sG outside of the occasional Funday, but staff cash and cash transfer keeps things exciting and promotes positive interaction between players.

Also, I agree with Serif on a bot implementation and weekly XP/cash events. We need incentives to keep a busy server.

I went ahead a little bit ago and made transfer a 1 round restriction, max cash after bets is 30k (so $15k bets), staff cash is 5 rounds again

Also books have been back on for a while but I realize this thread is over a year old, I just wanted to state that

I don't really disagree with anything else in the thread and if there's anything simple to change I'd be willing to.

Bots will always be tough or nonexistent because it would take manhours nobody is willing to contribute to fix bugs.

I'd be willing to remove races but then people will "never come back" as their favorite race was removed (anything buggy is an interesting race and someone will be sad)

Problem with crashes is CSGO changes constantly and it's difficult to keep up with as we all get older and busier. Yes races are often the problem, but crash logs are almost useless except my custom coded stuff which still often requires hours of digging thru text files, comparing multiple crashes, and often times results in no new info.

Miss the server and you all.