Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JXC

Server Hardware Build Recommendations?

Please Note: After getting backlash on the Discord, I want to clarify that I am not trying to compete with SG in any way shape or form. I am simply looking for build (primarily CPU) recommendations for a server to host for my friends.

Okay, so my friends and I have been hosting servers for a long time, none of which have been public. Most of the time, one of us hosts of their PC, but we do it often enough where I think we should set up a dedicated server. Whether that be to host an MC build server that we are working on, a custom modded MC server, a Space Engineers server, or a Kerbal Space Program server, we are looking to build one machine that can handle it all, and possibly multiple servers. Our collective price range is around $400-$500 (excluding case and PSU).

I am pretty clueless about what hardware to run for a server build.

My system (i5 4670, 16GB DDR3, 1TB HDD) can run most of these servers just fine, so I mean it doesn't need to be overkill.

Any suggestions? (Used parts are A-Ok)

Just now, fatb0y said:

Is this thing just gonna be at someone's house? Or are you trying to like colocate somewhere? 

I was planning to run it at my house

Save yourself money and just buy a hosted server with a couple slots.... that's if you just have a "couple friends" and not trying a spin off clan.

If you are looking to learn "servers" then go find a used 1U or 2U server. They are loud, take up space, and you won't have a rack to mount it but at least you'll have a physical server to mess around with. If you know a local business that has their own small office datacenter they may even just give you one if you catch them at the right time.

but on a serious note, just get an old pc from a pc repair place (not best buy) and you should be good. you dont even need a video card. a red/gold is great for a server, but you might want an SSD or a hybrid to speed up map loading time and such..   srcds is single threaded, so you want a FAST cpu not a high core count cpu :)

I call this SiJ

img_20171027_120941.jpg

6 minutes ago, centran said:

Wow, look at all those cables connected to the patch panel. That's impressive for someone with so many networking certificates.

the patch panel is obviously not connected.. or you'd see the terminations coming into the back.. the lack of a switch in the rack should also explain why... im not sure if you're trolling or y'know.. being dumb right now though :P   

also, i only have 2 (well i guess 3 if we split them out) network+ and CCNP Route/Switch (which requires the CCNA R/S (or CCENT AND CCNA for the kids who can afford to take them split like that)

offtopic: i found an "authentic Chicago deepdish pizza" place here. it was NOT good.

6 hours ago, cookie eater said:

why would you ever need a rig like that as a server machine?

i wasnt paying attention so i just posted a buidl

why would you ever need a rig like that as a server machine?

this kid picked an i9 for a server, clearly a moron spamming posts